Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Clark, King, Baumgartner, Seward - add Shaw, Gustafson

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Perron was probably the favorite to go when the Canucks drafted Patrick White in 2007, and there was some surprise he was still available. A lot of the reaction to White was "who?!?"

Perron was the highest remaining North American skater by Central Scouting when the Canucks had that pick. I'm not sure where Giroux was ranked in his year, but it wasn't top 10. (edit: it was 38th... pretty astute pick by the Flyers).

I remember Girioux being highly thought of. For sure he was expected to go in the first round.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Perron was probably the favorite to go when the Canucks drafted Patrick White in 2007, and there was some surprise he was still available. A lot of the reaction to White was "who?!?"

Perron was the highest remaining North American skater by Central Scouting when the Canucks had that pick. I'm not sure where Giroux was ranked in his year, but it wasn't top 10. (edit: it was 38th... pretty astute pick by the Flyers).
Every team in the NHL has their draft nightmares......but Patrick White instead of David Perron?.....Jeeezus!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I mean Vegas is a unique case and were set up to succeed. The fact they are exempt from the expansion draft tells you the rules are still in their favour. Gallant did a fine job and I'd have liked him here but their lineup was deeper than anyone else out of the gate.

That said, with Green having the 7th longest tenure in the league with his record is absurd. Bednar, Blashill and Maurice are the only 3 ahead of him who havent won a cup during their current tenure. Bednar and Maurice have been far more successful. Blashill hasnt ever had a lineup and has never been expected to succeed.

No you missed the point. The argument is not about if they were set up to succeed or not blah blah.

the argument is, the fired a coach with a winning record that took them to a cup final in 3 years. GMJB would have given him a 30 year contract for 10M a year based on that. Vegas fired him. Shows what the expectations are for each organization. We re-signed a GM after a losing season lol. Re-signed a coach to multi year deal after multiple losing seasons.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks continue to struggle out of the gate next season, is Shaw a potential replacement for Green behind the bench?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks continue to struggle out of the gate next season, is Shaw a potential replacement for Green behind the bench?

I hope not. How often has that worked? - promoting an assistant coach to the head coaching position when the HC was fired due to poor performance?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope not. How often has that worked? - promoting an assistant coach to the head coaching position when the HC was fired due to poor performance?
Well late in 2018 the St. Louis Blues fired head coach Mike Yeo and elevated Craig Berube from assistant coach to the head job.....and they won a Stanley Cup in the spring of 2019.

And in Pittsburgh, the Pens fired Mike Johnston late in 2015, and promoted Mike Sullivan from the AHL. And he became the first coach in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup in the spring of 2016, after being hired in mid-season.

Reactions: F A N

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Does it change anything if Shaw isn't really a protege of Green's but established himself elsewhere so might be more of an identity independent of the guy he's replacing?

Reactions: lindgren and F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does it change anything if Shaw isn't really a protege of Green's but established himself elsewhere so might be more of an identity independent of the guy he's replacing?
Good point.....Shaw was a successful assistant coach elsewhere......so he owes nothing to the current head coach....if things go south, he'd become the logical guy to take over, even if it was on an interim basis.

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well late in 2018 the St. Louis Blues fired head coach Mike Yeo and elevated Craig Berube from assistant coach to the head job.....and they won a Stanley Cup in the spring of 2019.

And in Pittsburgh, the Pens fired Mike Johnston late in 2015, and promoted Mike Sullivan from the AHL. And he became the first coach in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup in the spring of 2016, after being hired in mid-season.

Hmm... I guess that is a good point. I suppose the Canucks could do that. But Shaw hasn't been a head coach since 15 years ago. I guess Sullivan is a better comparable but he was coaching the AHL team at the time.

Reactions: MarkMM

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Providing a counter point. Ducharme has been hot buttcheeks until the playoffs and even then its unknown if thats him. Montreal was freefalling hard and got lucky Ottawa shit the bed early and Calgary shit the bed in the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad