Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Alex Biega, 2 years 825K per year

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
What I am not good with is this management bringing back all the same veteran players that have produced the 2nd worst record in the NHL over the last 3 years.

What exactly does this management expect to be different next year?

I didn't say I was good with everything, just this player as I think he is a serviceable 5 or 6 d...that's it. I have no idea how they expect the rest of the team to come back as and wasn't the point.

Reactions: geebaan

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
It’s an okay deal, I like Biega. Why did they give him two years? He wasn’t getting any multi years offer from another team

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Finally, a move by the team where you don't want to slam your hand in a car door over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Alex Biega is a heart and soul guy who gives you what he has.....but on a team in a legitimate rebuild, he'd be a guy you peddle at the deadline to a playoff bound team looking for some depth d-men on the right side.....and hopefully net a pick back, even if it's in the middle rounds....think Roman Polak.....but of course when you're 're-tooling' and are apparently satisfied with a 29th place finish every year, by all means give him a two-year extension.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
Nice, a one-way two year contract for a 30 year old defender Green doesn't like playing more than once a month. Part of the 'real deep' defense that Benning has been talking about I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I like Biega, but he's already in the press-box most nights and he's in a decline. This is a signing I can be neutral about, but this franchise needs to make a move to buy back some fan confidence. Right now it sits at zero.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Alex Biega is a heart and soul guy who gives you what he has.....but on a team in a legitimate rebuild, he'd be a guy you peddle at the deadline to a playoff bound team looking for some depth d-men on the right side.....and hopefully net a pick back, even if it's in the middle rounds....think Roman Polak.....but of course when you're 're-tooling' and are apparently satisfied with a 29th place finish every year, by all means give him a two-year extension.
But
If he plays as a regular next season, maybe he’ll have more value at the deadline?
I mean I don’t thin 825K for one extra year will be the factor that scares playoff teams away

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Huh, I thought we were giving out $12M contracts to all our depth d-men. I guess he should have been drafted earlier...

Solid contract.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I actually really like Biega but it looks like they’re going to bring back the same defensive core again?

Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Biega, Pouliot and Hutton all signed through next year. I imagine they’re going to try and get Juolevi on the roster next year so Hutton will be moved.

Yikes.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What I am not good with is this management bringing back all the same veteran players that have produced the 2nd worst record in the NHL over the last 3 years.

What exactly does this management expect to be different next year?

They expect Juolevi, Pettersson, Dahlen, and their can't miss 2018 1st rounder to shock the pants off the hockey world and added to their big catch free agent Kane (who will of course decline all other offers in order to come home) will make the playoffs and then, you know, "Who knows what can happen?"

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't think that having a 2nd year under contract at a measly $825k is going to dissuade a team from acquiring him at the deadline. You can bury his contract in the minors for free since it's sub-900k. But most importantly, to think that this management would peddle assets for picks is the more laughable concept, as they've shown zero desire or aptitude to do so.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Should be a 1 year I would think for a player of his role, but it’s hard to care about something so minor, especially for a player I really like.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great news. Probably the 3rd-best defender on this team right now if they'd actually play him.

Dunno if I agree with that, but I do agree with a different point you (?) made at some point - Biega is an actual veteran leader/mentor, and could easily be an A on this team.

If the Sedins are done, I'd have no problem with Biega getting a letter next year. The guy communicates better than any other defenseman on the team, never takes a night off and doesn't say stupid shit in the media...ahem...

The team talks about placing a huge premium on leadership, so I'm fine with this signing, even if it is for a defenseman that is played as a #7, just based on that. Their actions are backing up their words in a logical way.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I will likely take some heat but I'll post the same thing I put in another thread.

Why is a mid-season extension of a 30 year old #8 defender even a thing for this team?

I like Biega. He gives it his all etc etc etc. But signing him at this time? Seems very strange to me.

If it's close to the minimum which I assume it will be I don't have any real problem with the value or anything just that I don't understand the priorities this management team sets.

Translation: good trade, good deal but I simply have to find something about it to complain about because Benning...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Makes sense.

Main takeaway to me is that they will go with 13 forwards and 8 defencemen again next year due to Biega's position flexibility.

Making their current crop of signed waiver eligible forwards plus their additions, Leipsic and UFAs, a number large enough to choke out roster spots for most of their past picks coming in. Jim isn't interested in developing youth in a rebuild. It's all about winning NOW.

He will re-sign the Sedins.
Boser, Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Leipsic, Gaunce, and Goldobin all have contracts.
Virtanen, Baertschi, and Granlund are RFAs. Who among these 3 does he wish to dump and for what? A # 6 or 7 draft pick? These are all Benning acquisitions. I don't see anything but hockey trades for them. He's not going to dump young guys already taking a regular shift for the Canucks for out there picks who will take 3-4 years before even entering into maybe decent AHL talent.

None of his 6 or 7 round picks in 4 years of drafting is even in the AHL yet.

3 were never extended contracts (Olson, Petit, McKenzie).

One is a 100% bust, Stewart.

One has played 3 seasons since his draft and never left the Czech Republic (
(Lukas Jasek). He'll be 21.

Abols is 22. He had a .86 PPG in 2 Canadian Jr seasons and had 1 pt in 26 SHL games and was demoted to the Allsvenskan where he's put up 11pts/15GP this season. AHL next Year? Don't know his contract situation in Sweden.

Jakob Stukel will be 21. He has a .72 PPG in his Canadian Jr. career to date, 50Pts/60GP this year. Does he get signed and sent to Utica?

Matt Brassard, 20, has a .53 PPG in his Jr. career,43Pts/59GP this season.

Petrus Palmu, 21. Maybe the most impressive of the bunch. 1.07 PPG in 3 Canadian Jr seasons. Was sent back to Finland this season instead of the AHL. He has put up 33Pts/55GP in the Finnish Liiga. His size is a real deterrent at 5'7' and a very solid 179 Lbs.

Who from this bunch do you see seriously ever challenging for an NHL spot?

I don't see Benning giving up his 3 RFA guys for less than a 3rd and at the same time i don't see any NHL team wasting that high of a pick on these guys. They all have guys at this talent level on their rosters already. They are not players other teams have a high need for on draft day.

The list above already includes 13 forwards. He is after a Kane type in free agency and will have decreased Sedin contract leftover cash along with an increased cap level and you know he will once again spend to cap. Dorsett and Dowd Money are there as well. The 3 RFAs are not going to be able to squabble much over contract amounts as they have little to leverage for raises. Maybe Sven can put up a few more points moving forward this season to get a slight increase, but if he wants to stay with a team that's going to give him a good chance to remain a steady NHL player, he won't argue to loud for very long.

You also have Archibald and Dowd as UFAs and Chaput and Boucher are RFAs. There is more money to be found here if you cut them loose or they can be signed, waived, and sent to Utica again. Everyone of them would have AHL veteran status. They would all be good pieces on the farm as would a couiple of the other pieces in the above listed Canucks. Right now that's the least of the worries they have to deal with, but GM Johnson should be on top of it already.

Benning has his work cut out for him and this just may prove even more why he needed to dump some of these contracts for draft picks at the TDL since he isn't going to find a lot of takers for most of these guys in "hockey trades" and getting 4-1 draft picks is unlikely at that time as well.

People will line up to take his available picks and then maybe accept someone as throw in, but they won't be handing them out to a desperate GM like he's already known to be. NO, the bigger fear at this draft is not the draft picks he's not going to be able to get (just like last year), but the number of GMs liming up wearing their bibs and clutching their forks and knives to see just what prime cuts of meat they can carve out of Jim's flesh in exchange for scraps to add to his already burgeoning pile of bottom six forwards and 5-8 D-men.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad