Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Alex Biega, 2 years 825K per year

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I would be more happy with this if we had a coach who played him regularly.

Given that he's 30 years old and plays sparingly I would have rather traded him for a pick than extend him. It just shows again how weird our priorities are.

Oh well, happy he's back. Although the title of this thread seems premature.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I will likely take some heat but I'll post the same thing I put in another thread.

Why is a mid-season extension of a 30 year old #8 defender even a thing for this team?

I like Biega. He gives it his all etc etc etc. But signing him at this time? Seems very strange to me.

If it's close to the minimum which I assume it will be I don't have any real problem with the value or anything just that I don't understand the priorities this management team sets.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I will likely take some heat but I'll post the same thing I put in another thread.

Why is a mid-season extension of a 30 year old #8 defender even a thing for this team?

I like Biega. He gives it his all etc etc etc. But signing him at this time? Seems very strange to me.

If it's close to the minimum which I assume it will be I don't have any real problem with the value or anything just that I don't understand the priorities this management team sets.

They might want to trade him at the draft?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

If it's close to the minimum which I assume it will be I don't have any real problem with the value or anything just that I don't understand how they could possibly be spending any time on this type of thing right now.

I don't have a problem with the signing, as I'm a big time Biega supporter, but yeah the timing is weird. Do they know he's something of a fan favorite, so they're trying to garner some good will from the fans?

I feel like this might spell the end for Hutton or Tanev come the end of the season/draft. Otherwise we're essentially rolling out the same defense (same team as a whole really) as last year, they wouldn't do that would they?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They might want to trade him at the draft?

Biega is a #8 guy on a team with a good blueline. If they were able to trade him for something, and I think they could have, it would be at the deadline. At the draft? Extremely doubtful. There will be dozens of comparable free agents on the market a week after the draft. Essentially he's a veteran AHL/NHL tweener...I don't think that group of players are hot commodities at really any time but certainly not at the draft.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Biega is a #8 guy on a team with a good blueline. If they were able to trade him for something, and I think they could have, it would be at the deadline. At the draft? Extremely doubtful. There will be dozens of comparable free agents on the market a week after the draft. Essentially he's a veteran AHL/NHL tweener...I don't think that group of players are hot commodities at really any time but certainly not at the draft.

He could very well be part of a package. On his own I agree, he's not very enticing.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He could very well be part of a package. On his own I agree, he's not very enticing.

But even then he's a even up the contract spots throw in not someone that truly has trade value.

$825K for two years, completely reasonable.

It's fine value wise and good for Biega. Doesn't change that this is a weird time to be signing this quality of player to two year extensions.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
But even then he's a even up the contract spots throw in not someone that truly has trade value.

It's fine value wise and good for Biega. Doesn't change that this is a weird time to be signing this quality of player to two year extensions.

These are weird times....

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Makes sense.

Main takeaway to me is that they will go with 13 forwards and 8 defencemen again next year due to Biega's position flexibility.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm good with this....whats the cap hit?

What I am not good with is this management bringing back all the same veteran players that have produced the 2nd worst record in the NHL over the last 3 years.

What exactly does this management expect to be different next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad