Value of: Canucks' expendable assets

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What would your team offer for any of the following:
  • Edler - 1 year @ 5 million; 32 years old.
  • Tanev - 2 years @ 4.45 million; 28 years old.
  • Hutton - 1 year @ 2.8 million; 25 years old.
  • Del Zotto - 1 year @ 3 million; 28 years old.
  • Gudbranson - 3 years @ 4 million; 26 years old.
  • Granlund - 1 year @ 1.475 million; 25 years old.
Potentially available (albeit more valuable to the Canucks than other teams):
  • Markstrom - 2 years @ 3.66 million; 28 years old.
  • Nilsson - 1 year @ 2.5 million; 28 years old.
  • Baertschi - 3 years @ 3.36 million; 25 years old.
  • Goldobin - 1 year @ $863.3k; 22 years old.
  • Tryamkin's rights - RFA; committed to KHL contract for next 2 years; 23 years old.
I realize a lot of the above names are spare parts, but I assume a few hold some value, while others could be attained by mid-round picks/B prospects.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Edler has no-trade, likely going nowhere. Tanev is worth something. The rest you're asking for offers of scraps.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
OP - I think you have the right idea, I'd be going full rebuild if I were Van. Fill in a team of free agents that you can throw to the wolves and get a core piece out of this year's draft with your own pick while adding a bunch more. The Canucks are in the best position out of the "rebuilding" Canadian teams imo, some really nice picks despite not picking that high and if you could add a Jack Hughes that would be a hell of a future core

Tanev is worth a 1st+good prospect or 1st+2x2nds type package from a good team imo
Hutton is probably worth something, a couple of 2nds or something like that
Granlund is probably worth a 2nd
Edler has some value if he would waive, 1st+ if he was having a good year at the TDL from a contender

but I think the most important thing for the Canucks is to draft very high again this year, your own pick being top 3 is worth more than the assets that you get back

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Edler has no-trade, likely going nowhere. Tanev is worth something. The rest you're asking for offers of scraps.

I realize the Edler situation - but if management informs him that they are not planning on re-signing him, maybe he waives his NTC at the trade deadline? It's certainly a possibility.

As for the scraps part - I'd rather get scraps than nothing at all (see Vrbata). Given our logjam of mediocre dmen and forwards with the veteran free agent signings in Beagle/Roussel, I'd rather dump a player like Granlund and receive a 3rd/4th round pick.

Unreal.... the most tradable assets are Tryampkins rights

I mean, his rights might be worth something. We got a 4th round pick from NYI for Ehrhoff's rights as a pending UFA.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
OP - I think you have the right idea, I'd be going full rebuild if I were Van. Fill in a team of free agents that you can throw to the wolves and get a core piece out of this year's draft with your own pick while adding a bunch more. The Canucks are in the best position out of the "rebuilding" Canadian teams imo, some really nice picks despite not picking that high and if you could add a Jack Hughes that would be a hell of a future core

Tanev is worth a 1st+good prospect or 1st+2x2nds type package from a good team imo
Hutton is probably worth something, a couple of 2nds or something like that
Granlund is probably worth a 2nd
Edler has some value if he would waive, 1st+ if he was having a good year at the TDL from a contender

but I think the most important thing for the Canucks is to draft very high again this year, your own pick being top 3 is worth more than the assets that you get back

Tanev is expiring after this year his value will probably be highest at the deadline, at which point a first can be had, potentially more depending on the team and their situation.

Hutton isn't getting two seconds, though he is worth it. Most people don't know that he was sabotaged by Travis Green last year to make room for his boy Pouliot. I think Hutton would be Doghouse player for Doghouse player, which could work out really well for both teams,

Granlund is a consolation prize, a 4th or 5th, he may be coveted by a team, but the Canucks would never know that and would be in no position to bargain, not like Benning knows how to do that anyway.

I agree Edler is a 1st, he should be sent to the minors if he doesn't accept the trade.

But everyone forgot two names, that regardless of what you think of them, DO have teams who want them,

Gudbransson: Two teams were in on him at the deadline, unfortunately, Benning felt he needed to get a "Face-saving" price, so he wouldn't look like a complete idiot, and the offers weren't good. So Benning, Brained-up and signed him to an extension...thus making himself look like a total complete idiot instead, but still, there WERE offers (My guess is something around a 3rd)

Sutter: Two of three Cali teams inquired about him early in the summer, Benning said "NO! We need him to center our second line don't ya know?" .............anyway, it never came out what those teams were willing to pay, but Sutter is movable.

So, we COULD be rid of Gudz, Sutter and Tanev (Not that he's someone you would want to get rid of, but he is wanted by other teams) I also have no doubt Edler could be moved if his NMC was dealt with.

I say get rid of all of them except Tanev, unless the price reflects the value, keep him, but we could potentially Ice THE WORST DEFENSE IN NHL HISTORY this year and give ourselves a solid crack at being deluded into thinking we'll get 1st overall, right up until we get bounced to 5th.

The real take away here is that there are some first rounders to be had, Benning just needs to go GET them, Sutter, Tanev and Edler should all be 1st, the draft is in Van, WHY THE HELL NOT?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Gudbransson: Two teams were in on him at the deadline, unfortunately, Benning felt he needed to get a "Face-saving" price, so he wouldn't look like a complete idiot, and the offers weren't good. So Benning, Brained-up and signed him to an extension...thus making himself look like a total complete idiot instead, but still, there WERE offers (My guess is something around a 3rd)

The rumour I saw was that a team offered a 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson at the TDL.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind Tanev but I would want to add him to the current defense without sending one back. So picks/prospects(preferably forwards) would be my currency of choice.
A 1st, 3rd and a forward prospect? If it had to include a defense prospect that would be a Rosen(surprisingly impressive to me in the run to the Calder)/Borgman type but they're not young, 24 and 23 respectively so maybe not appealing.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's sad but Goldobin's probably only worth a waiver claim, even then I don't know if many teams would go for him.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
edler would be a great option for a lot of teams at the deadline, could probably get a 2nd and an ok prospect for him really

tanev still has solid value, maybe wait until next offseason though so they dont get absolutely murdered every game this year and discourage the kids

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I'm really surprised how down a lot of people are on Edler. A 2nd for him at the deadline would be a sweet deal. Can anyone explain the reasoning on this? Especially if we retain salary?
A team like maybe Winnipeg I'd imagine could really benefit from a guy like Edler at the deadline.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Tanev is expiring after this year his value will probably be highest at the deadline, at which point a first can be had, potentially more depending on the team and their situation.

Hutton isn't getting two seconds, though he is worth it. Most people don't know that he was sabotaged by Travis Green last year to make room for his boy Pouliot. I think Hutton would be Doghouse player for Doghouse player, which could work out really well for both teams,

Granlund is a consolation prize, a 4th or 5th, he may be coveted by a team, but the Canucks would never know that and would be in no position to bargain, not like Benning knows how to do that anyway.

I agree Edler is a 1st, he should be sent to the minors if he doesn't accept the trade.

But everyone forgot two names, that regardless of what you think of them, DO have teams who want them,

Sutter: Two of three Cali teams inquired about him early in the summer, Benning said "NO! We need him to center our second line don't ya know?" .............anyway, it never came out what those teams were willing to pay, but Sutter is movable.

So, we COULD be rid of Gudz, Sutter and Tanev (Not that he's someone you would want to get rid of, but he is wanted by other teams) I also have no doubt Edler could be moved if his NMC was dealt with.

I say get rid of all of them except Tanev, unless the price reflects the value, keep him, but we could potentially Ice THE WORST DEFENSE IN NHL HISTORY this year and give ourselves a solid crack at being deluded into thinking we'll get 1st overall, right up until we get bounced to 5th.

The real take away here is that there are some first rounders to be had, Benning just needs to go GET them, Sutter, Tanev and Edler should all be 1st, the draft is in Van, WHY THE HELL NOT?
I think Tanev at the deadline is a gamble, if he's healthy until then I agree he's probably worth more but with a couple of years left on his contract I don't think the same artificial inflation of value happens with him because teams are jockeying for playoff position. He's worth something decent now and I think there would be interest from more than a few teams

I think you might be selling Hutton and Granlund low honestly, I think they're both worth more than what you're saying

Gudbranson I'm not sure gets much, a late round pick sure but he's a depth defenseman in the new NHL, a Roman Polak type. His toughness makes him useful in some situations, but I wouldn't trade much for him

Sutter....sure, he would bring something back too

If I were you, I'd trade Tanev first and foremost:
- him being there helps keep the team out of the basement, which is bad
- he's really not a good bet to be as good of a player by the time the team is good again (assuming there isn't a miracle turn around, I'm thinking 3 years before the team is pushing for the playoffs again), so keeping him is really pointless - just makes you a little better through the rebuild which is counterproductive
- I get the need to not throw Hughes/Juolevi to the wolves, but you still have Edler/Gudbranson/Hutton for that and you can sign a UFA (Roman Polak, for example) who will be cast over his head but will also absorb the media heat for his play and is a good role model

despite what the current roster looks like, Van is in so much better shape than Ottawa or Montreal. Benning's drafting has been solid and a future core of: Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat looks like a good start, it looks even better if some of Gaudette, Lind, Woo & Juolevi turn out, and it looks the way that Winnipeg & Toronto looked a couple of years ago if you add a Jack Hughes to that mix

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What's the cost?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
  • Edler - 1 year @ 5 million; 32 years old.
2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd and prospect with the 2nd turning to a 1st if team advances to conference finals and he plays. With him having the NMC he can block anything
  • Tanev - 2 years @ 4.45 million; 28 years old.
Tanev with 2 years could get a playoff teams first but more likely 2 2nds. One factor would be salary retention this year thus making him free to acquiring teams this year who are up to the cap.
  • Hutton - 1 year @ 2.8 million; 25 years old.
  • Del Zotto - 1 year @ 3 million; 28 years old.
  • Gudbranson - 3 years @ 4 million; 26 years old.
  • Granlund - 1 year @ 1.475 million; 25 years old.
With the rest I don't see much coming back that is more than a 2nd. Del Zatto could get a 3rd and a 5th

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think Edler and Nilsson are immediate issues. Both should be moved now, IMO. I am pretty sure the Canucks do not agree.

Canucks have too many NHL contracts on defense. Edler is part of the old guard. If Canucks are turning the page, Edler is an obvious choice. I thought there was signs of wear in his game, too.

Nilsson had some success in a post season tournament for Sweden. Canucks should embrace the op to sell high! Goaltending looks weak on paper, too and should be looked at.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Edler and Nilsson are immediate issues. Both should be moved now, IMO. I am pretty sure the Canucks do not agree.

Canucks have too many NHL contracts on defense. Edler is part of the old guard. If Canucks are turning the page, Edler is an obvious choice. I thought there was signs of wear in his game, too.

Nilsson had some success in a post season tournament for Sweden. Canucks should embrace the op to sell high! Goaltending looks weak on paper, too and should be looked at.
Surprising that this entire off season there has been no rumours whatsoever about moving Edler.

Benning and co are not reliving 2015 off season with hamhuis. Exact same scenario with a guy who is 14 years post draft year in the final year of his deal and will be 33 when they hit ufa. Will they extend him or move him?

Like hamhuis, even if edler were to waive his full ntc, you’d be looking at like 3 teams only if that.

If they are not going to extend him I think moving him in the summer is the better option since it allows him to pick his spot and sign an extension immediately.

Unless of course they have had discussions with edler already and he doesn’t want to get traded.

Someone in the Canucks has to bear the brunt of the bad PR if that is the case, due to the hamhuis debacle. They simply can’t afford to have an veteran like him walk via ufa. Decision needs to be made.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
What's the cost?
2nd and 5th or a waiver exempt centre prospect with 2/3 line potential that could be Utica’s top centreman for the year before getting a real look.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Edler - 1st + prospect (if he waives NTC)
Tanev - 1st + prospect
Hutton - 3rd-4th round pick (if he picks up his play a bit)
Del Zotto - 2nd-3rd round pick
Gudbranson - no one is touching that
Granlund - 4th-6th round pick (potentially a 3rd if he picks it up, doubtful without the Sedins...)
Markstrom - 3rd-4th round pick
Nilsson - 6th-7th round pick
Baertschi - Canucks will not move him
Goldobin - 2nd-3rd round pick
Tryamkin's rights - Canucks better off keeping him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad