Prospect Info: Canucks draft LW Jackson Kunz 113th Overall (USHS / Green Bay Gamblers --> North Dakota commit)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I wholeheartedly agree and I'm not implying otherwise.

Just read the post I was responding too.

I did read it. The implication isn't that far fetched considering the types of players they targeted this draft, but there's far too small a sample to conclude things either way.

If we see next year similar trends continuing with VAN's drafting as this year, as far as player types, then I think you will see the speed and skill argument raised again.

By contrast, Tampa seems to find a way to gain value from the speed+skill player types even though they don't have the best pick positions. They make for a good barometer that way.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I did read it. The implication isn't that far fetched considering the types of players they targeted this draft, but there's far too small a sample to conclude things either way.

If we see next year similar trends continuing with VAN's drafting as this year, as far as player types, then I think you will see the speed and skill argument raised again.

By contrast, Tampa seems to find a way to gain value from the speed+skill player types even though they don't have the best pick positions. They make for a good barometer that way.
who did they target this year that has low speed and low skill? I'm not a scout by any means so I'm just judging the prospects based off what I've read.

Are there any videos where the Canucks talk about their drafting philosophy? I would guess it would involve emphasizing shooting abilities, and probably to avoid smaller players.

Reactions: F A N

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
who did they target this year that has low speed and low skill? I'm not a scout by any means so I'm just judging the prospects based off what I've read.

Are there any videos where the Canucks talk about their drafting philosophy? I would guess it would involve emphasizing shooting abilities, and probably to avoid smaller players.

The frame is a bit different from this: It's not targeting low speed + low skill, it's clearly not prioritizing high speed and high skill. The latter types of picks are very apparent when they are made.

There's no video, just the sense I get from their picks. Anyway, much ado about nothing because the sample is yet too small. Next year should give us a better indication.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Like this kid already

EjyMvX3UwAAyh4B

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm not sure if the Canucks should follow Tampa's model of drafting, if there is in fact a model. Keep in mind that the best player Tampa drafted over the past since 2016 is Brett Howden, who is 6'3". Their last two first round picks were the Foote brothers who are both 6'4" and not fleet of foot. Time will tell but right now, the best player they drafted since 2015 is Cirelli. Of course, they drafted Point the year before.

It's easy to expound on theories as to the type of skillsets the Canucks should focus on. At the end of the day, the goal is to draft prospects who develop into impactful NHL players. These days, teams talk about drafting the best asset available as much as drafting the best player available. It is not mutually exclusive but one does not necessary equate the other.

Drafting the player you want/need is the easiest way to acquire the player. At the end of the day, if you don't draft Dmen, sooner or later your team won't have a good defense because you are relying on trade and free agency. If you don't draft players with size, sooner or later you have to go out and acquire players with size who can also play. The idea you can always trade for needs later is theoretically true, but how many #1 D for #1 C trades have we seen in the past decade?

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure if the Canucks should follow Tampa's model of drafting, if there is in fact a model. Keep in mind that the best player Tampa drafted over the past since 2016 is Brett Howden, who is 6'3". Their last two first round picks were the Foote brothers who are both 6'4" and not fleet of foot. Time will tell but right now, the best player they drafted since 2015 is Cirelli. Of course, they drafted Point the year before.

It's easy to expound on theories as to the type of skillsets the Canucks should focus on. At the end of the day, the goal is to draft prospects who develop into impactful NHL players. These days, teams talk about drafting the best asset available as much as drafting the best player available. It is not mutually exclusive but one does not necessary equate the other.

Drafting the player you want/need is the easiest way to acquire the player. At the end of the day, if you don't draft Dmen, sooner or later your team won't have a good defense because you are relying on trade and free agency. If you don't draft players with size, sooner or later you have to go out and acquire players with size who can also play. The idea you can always trade for needs later is theoretically true, but how many #1 D for #1 C trades have we seen in the past decade?
To trade for what you Need, you have to find a trading partner. Nashville wanted a 1C and found Johansen and gave up Jones to do so. Think we all said at the time, Jones would be the better player long term, but that is the price to get a 1C since teams aren't moving off them.

Very difficult to trade for the top end. You can trade for mid 6 F and for 3D and lower, but very hard to trade for the high end.

And it's always good to draft a mix of players rather than all the same type. Drafting all sub 6 feet will ultimately catch up and not drafting enough skill will catch up with you.

You draft guys who you believe have a skillset that can make the NHL one day. Ideally, each draft you find 1 top 6 or top 4D, with an early pick and find a bottom 6 F and bottom pairing D with a mid round pick. And every other year, maybe a 3rd pick emerges. And by a guy, I mean someone who plays 200 NHL games. We know 1st rounders get a look, but anyone drafted after round 1 has to earn their way onto an NHL roster and stick 3 seasons to hit 200 NHL games.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I had a lot of trepidation heading into the 2020 draft, with the Canucks sitting on the sidelines until the mi-80's in the third round.

But just about every guy the Canucks picked, is off to a fast start in their draft-plus-one seasons--which is really all you can ask for. Anyone drafted in rounds 3-7, is usually always a 'long-term project' anyway. So 'continuous improvement' means that by time they're 20-21, they're worth signing to an ELC. And I can see three or four guys out of this draft eventually earning contracts.

And looking at the big picture, they significantly added to their blueline depth in this draft; picked one skilled center; and added a winger with some size and bite in his game.

I think they probably got 'lucky' with some of their picks, who might have dropped because of a lack of exposure in this COVID season. But most of the scouting services are giving the Canucks grades of C+-B for their picks.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They are playing Kunz with Schmatlz a Boston draft pick as both are going to be at ND.

Should hit the ground running as freshman with familiarity.
His Cousin is Nick who was Boeser's Center at ND, now with the coyotes as their 2nd line center i think.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
did this guy defer going to nd for a year or did we draft a kid going into his senior year in hs? if the latter, i did not know that was possible.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
did this guy defer going to nd for a year or did we draft a kid going into his senior year in hs? if the latter, i did not know that was possible.

I believe that the plan for him was always to attend university next season, not this one. Although the pandemic might have forced this situation anyway.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It wouldn't have hurt having him at ND
they have such a well rounded team developing with Bernard docker and Sanderson
But I guess it can't hurt having him play big minutes seeing as it difficult to find ice for prospects

NCAA college hockey is going to be very fun to watch this season
Jut soo much skill flying around right now.
Watching this Michigan team right now, just talent popping off the screen
NCHC has crazy talent coming in and same with B1G 10

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
rathbone spent an extra year in prep school on purpose. sounds like kunz is the same deal.

Rathbone spent an extra year at home to help out his brother, can't fault him for that.

IMO it shows his character as a person.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008

Kunz was not eligible to go to UND this season. He is still a senior in high school.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's still early in the season, at least in those places where fall hockey is even being played. But you'd have to say that considering the Canucks didn't have a first or second rounder, they don't appear to have done all that badly in the 2020 draft.

Highlights from the U of Michigan game last night were carried on Sportsnet, and Jacob Truscott looks like a serviceable young d-man, considering he's one of the youngest guys on the the team.

And Kunz seems to be following in the footsteps of Gaudette, Madden and McDonough who had strong draft or draft-plus one seasons in the USHL. And Kunz is headed for North Dakota, which has a strong NCAA program.

And nothing to complain about with Jurmo, Zlodeyev and Persson in Europe so far. I realize some of the rankings for the 2020 draft were all over the map because of COVID. But appears the Canucks may have actually lucked out with guys who should probably have gone higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad