Prospect Info: Canucks draft LW Jackson Kunz 113th Overall (USHS / Green Bay Gamblers --> North Dakota commit)

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
This pick confuses me: is it a Weisbrod went and watched one high school game type of pick or a late decade Canucks USHS diamond in the rough type of pick?

Let’s hope Daniel Gee’s description is apt and the skating difficulties can be overcome.

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I wish they would expand when they say not a great skater. So many moving parts in skating it’s hard to figure if it’s fixable or he’s George parros skating Level

Reactions: CanuckCity
May 31, 2006
Interesting that he didn't lead his team in scoring. His teammate (and presumably linemate) who did score more is a Russian guy who was ranked higher by Central Scouting: Artem Shlaine at eliteprospects.com

Also Kunz isn't going to ND until 21-22 (Shlaine is going to Connecticut this next season).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This pick confuses me: is it a Weisbrod went and watched one high school game type of pick or a late decade Canucks USHS diamond in the rough type of pick?

Let’s hope Daniel Gee’s description is apt and the skating difficulties can be overcome.
I mean our American picks have a pretty good track record, my worry is how much influence Brackett had there.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sounds like a Vancouver late round special. University bound, seemingly one glaring issue that could keep him from succeeding on lower lines, let's see what we have here.

Shooting, hand eye, positioning, initiating physical play, there is a lot that he apparently does quite well, I just hope we can set him up with Horvat's skating coach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting that he didn't lead his team in scoring. His teammate (and presumably linemate) who did score more is a Russian guy who was ranked higher by Central Scouting: Artem Shlaine at eliteprospects.com

Also Kunz isn't going to ND until 21-22 (Shlaine is going to Connecticut this next season).

It's not unusual for the playmaking C to put up more points. It looks like Kunz is close to a goal a game at that level (I think he led the league in goals). He just turned 18 and like many American athletes he's already well built.

Looks like another high upside pick.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Eh,not bad.Sounds like there could be a top 9 winger or maybe a 4C there if he can improve his skating.Most of these prospects who drop for that reason can’t but at least he’s a younger player with an extra year to work on it before he starts college.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

wouldn't he be ted hampson's guy?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He just turned 18 two months ago and had 40 goals in 45 games in USHS. Committed to UND next season which is an excellent program.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Scouting report sounds a lot like Anders Lee coming out of HS -- but I think there are a lot of intangibles that led to Lee developing the way he did.

I would have taken Vierling here, but not too upset with this type of pick -- more that we lack more picks in this part of the draft where I think there's good value to be had.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
When you draft a big player, i like to look at the birthday....
Bigger guys develop their speed later on compared to a small guy. He's barely eligible for the draft...more time to develop thigh and core strength....

The big question mark will be whether him just being bigger than everyone playing high school prep was driving a lot of his production and whether it translates well to higher levels of competition.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Vancouver Canucks decided that the best strategy, after watching the extremely high skill, high class skating Tampa Bay team win the cup, was to try and draft Patrick Maroon players.

Reactions: wetcoast

Feb 20, 2013
The Vancouver Canucks decided that the best strategy, after watching the extremely high skill, high class skating Tampa Bay team win the cup, was to try and draft Patrick Maroon players.

Which team does Maroon play for again?

But seriously, their other two picks so far are excellent skaters. I don't see a pattern towards size over skill/skating this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad