Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Bo Horvat 9th Overall (1st Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fans always deal in absolutes. When Kesler was on the ice he scored and shut down the line he was up against.
While I agree to a degree, still...

25 goal, 75 point, single-handedly-carrying-the-defensive-load/fantastic second PP unit, making-everyone-around-him-better Kesler > 41 goal, 71 point Malhotra-instead-of-Wellwood-as-support Kesler, IMO. That 75 point Kesler is the one that should have won the Selke, in a perfect world.

I mean... seriously, Kyle freaken Wellwood, along with Henrik and I guess Josh Green? No center on that team is shutting anything down besides Kesler.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I mean... seriously, Kyle freaken Wellwood, along with Henrik and I guess Josh Green? No center on that team is shutting anything down besides Kesler.
It didn't much better with Maholtra playing with impaired vision in one eye/Hodgson + Henrik + Lappy down the middle.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It didn't much better with Maholtra playing with impaired vision in one eye/Hodgson + Henrik + Lappy down the middle.
Sure, but I would also say he was a little less impressive defensively the past few years, whether it be due to injury or whatever.

It was much more clear he was the dominant defensive presence in his prime years.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
everytime i come to this thread i'm excited because there is new posts to read about BO HORVAT. I thought this was a Horvat thread? Can we talk about Kesler somewhere else?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
everytime i come to this thread i'm excited because there is new posts to read about BO HORVAT. I thought this was a Horvat thread? Can we talk about Kesler somewhere else?

At least Kesler's a centre. Slightly more on topic than when this devolved into a Lu-Schneids-Brodeur thread.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll stop.

But to be honest, it bothers me that it bothers people whenever a conversation naturally goes off into different tangents and non-sequitors-- Stay on topic at all times! Where's the fun in that? It's not preventing people from talking about Bo.

But yeah, I'll comply.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kesler has a 21 goal and a 25 goal season before Sundin ever came to town.

37 points and 59 point seasons.

I'll still say my favourite Kesler was the one where he popped 21 goals and 37 points in the pure shutdown role.

His 26 goal/59pt season was the season Sundin came to town.

Anyway, I like Bo as a prospect and hope he really develops for this team.

Would be amazing to finally have a 18 or 19 year old come into the team and make a significant contribution.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
I'll stop.

But to be honest, it bothers me that it bothers people whenever a conversation naturally goes off into different tangents and non-sequitors-- Stay on topic at all times! Where's the fun in that? It's not preventing people from talking about Bo.

But yeah, I'll comply.

now i feel like a one dimensional jerk :shakehead

I just clicked on this thread like 5 times this morning trying to see if someone posted something new about Horvat i didn't watch any of the prospect camp or anything so Im just so curious about the guy and how good he will be.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Im Mixed about wanting Horvat to make our team this season or play junior and dominate the WJC.

Its been so long since we had a Canuck let alone possibly 3 suit up for team Canada.

If hes so good in camp and earns a roster spot I'll be ecstatic. If hes good in the camp and gets sent

down ill still be happy!

yoss

May 25, 2011
One thing that stood out and impressed me from that scrimmage was how strong he is on the puck. Reminds me a bit of Kesler with better vision. He looked pretty dominant at times even, great on the forecheck and good things seemed to happen every time he touched the puck.

Feel like I have one foot on the Horvat train already. Part of me is greedy/impatient and hopes he grabs that 3c position right out of the gate. I'd at least like to see him get a game or two with the Nucks this year. Definitely anticipate catching more pre-season games than usual this year, for a number of reasons not the least of which seeing how he and the other prospects progress.

yoss

May 25, 2011
That toe drag dangle was a thing of beauty, almost tucked it in. Highlight of the scrimmage for me. Mallet looked good out there I thought as well, even aside from the penalty shot.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
That toe drag dangle was a thing of beauty, almost tucked it in. Highlight of the scrimmage for me. Mallet looked good out there I thought as well, even aside from the penalty shot.

is there a link to that toedrag dangle? Or a certain time in the prospects scrimmage i never saw it but would love to

yoss

May 25, 2011
is there a link to that toedrag dangle? Or a certain time in the prospects scrimmage i never saw it but would love to

If you dig through that scrimmage thread i believe there is a youtube link to the scrimmage and someone mentions when in the video it is. Check the last few pages or so.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The more i watch of Horvat, the more he reminds me a bit of a 'David Backes lite'. A bit lighter on the aggression, but heavier on the puck distributing ability.

And we know Gillis has highly coveted Backes in the past (the offer sheets, rumours, etc). Trying not to get too far ahead of myself...but maybe, just maybe Gillis has found his substitute? Man that would be great. :nod:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If Horvat truly looks great at camp, I would just give him the 3rd line spot instead of letting him develop his offensive skills and have a great year of junior or whatever.

We constantly say things like that, but how often has it worked out? Every instance I can think of, for one reason or another the player had setbacks and regressed the second year.

If he earns it, he should get it. Our team has poor enough center depth that he wouldn't be buried in a lesser role or underutilized anyways.

StringerBell

The more i watch of Horvat, the more he reminds me a bit of a 'David Backes lite'. A bit lighter on the aggression, but heavier on the puck distributing ability.

And we know Gillis has highly coveted Backes in the past (the offer sheets, rumours, etc). Trying not to get too far ahead of myself...but maybe, just maybe Gillis has found his substitute? Man that would be great. :nod:

This is the comparison I've been using for the last couple weeks. Well, not Backes lite, but Backes without the mean streak.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Horvat reminds me of Couture. Very similar players.
I've thought so, too. Kind of ironic comparison after the damage Couture did to us in the post-season.

Coincidentally, both were drafted 9th overall and both picks were garnered in goalie trades.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Horvat reminds me of Couture. Very similar players.

except on the pk one's allowed to pick up the puck and throw it out of the zone and one's a canuck...still pissed about the reffing in that series. Clown reffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad