Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Jackson Dorrington, 6th Round, 176th Overall, 2022 Draft

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very good pick where you guys got him. I had him ranked 64, so last pick of the second round. I probably wouldn't have been too inspired with him second or even third round. He's a very safe player. I think he'll play NHL games as a 6D or 7D. I think he has a high floor, but isn't a player that is considered as having high upside. But taking this type of player in the 6th round is great value.

He reminds me a poor man's Jake Sanderson. Has size at about 6'2, can skate pretty well, and also pretty good defensively. Moves the puck well enough. Not too much offense, but there's a chance he has some untapped offensive upside. Wouldn't doubt it, but he hasn't shown offense so far. Not a real high-skill player or one with great offensive instincts. Probably minimal offense, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I thought he'd be a riser, and instead he was a faller.

May 31, 2006
Stat line looks ugly, but we've had success with Northeastern recruits.

I thought our connection there ended with Judd Brackett but maybe someone else in our staff has connections with some coach/scout/recruiter there?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sounds like a good project. His quotes sound solid, probably a great pick here, and hopefully he keeps developing. At least 3 years, and maybe 4 or 5 before he has a shot. Hopefully ends up in Abby in 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: dwarf

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Very good pick where you guys got him. I had him ranked 64, so last pick of the second round. I probably wouldn't have been too inspired with him second or even third round. He's a very safe player. I think he'll play NHL games as a 6D or 7D. I think he has a high floor, but isn't a player that is considered as having high upside. But taking this type of player in the 6th round is great value.

He reminds me a poor man's Jake Sanderson. Has size at about 6'2, can skate pretty well, and also pretty good defensively. Moves the puck well enough. Not too much offense, but there's a chance he has some untapped offensive upside. Wouldn't doubt it, but he hasn't shown offense so far. Not a real high-skill player or one with great offensive instincts. Probably minimal offense, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I thought he'd be a riser, and instead he was a faller.
Ugh.

Never draft a kid with the potential to top out as a 6D. The offseason is literally awash in these types of players. Why spend the draft capital to develop one?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ugh.

Never draft a kid with the potential to top out as a 6D. The offseason is literally awash in these types of players. Why spend the draft capital to develop one?
I might be underselling him. He could end up better. Only my guess of what his career looks like of a realistic approximation of his ceiling.

I try to incorporate the odds of each outcome into assessing draft prospects as opposed to only looking at the absolute best outcome if everything goes right. It’s always possible players get better or there was some factor holding them back from showing their prior potential.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I might be underselling him. He could end up better. Only my guess of what his career looks like of a realistic approximation of his ceiling.

I try to incorporate the odds of each outcome into assessing draft prospects as opposed to only looking at the absolute best outcome if everything goes right. It’s always possible players get better or there was some factor holding them back from showing their prior potential.
I appreciate you chiming in. It's just that we've all seen this story before. It usually ends with said prospect topping out as a character farm hand in the A until he ages out altogether. Scouting reports and your summary all point in that direction.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's high praise. I'm not sure if there was anyone who remotely ranked him this high. I do like this pick though. Like him more than Petey D.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Feels like there should be a III after his name or something. May I present to you, Jackson Dorrington the Third!

Jackson Dorrington is the most prep school name ever.

Kind of disappointed here. If they were looking for a project defenseman, I would have prefered Liam Steele.

6'6. Right handed D. Not like we need those in the system or anything. :sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm starting to lose track of the number of d-men the Canucks have selected in the later rounds of these drafts.....at least three from Sweden; another from Finland; and a couple of other guys in the NCAA via the USHL.

I mean if 'quantity' means anything, one or two of them have to work by the basic law of averages

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm starting to lose track of the number of d-men the Canucks have selected in the later rounds of these drafts.....at least three from Sweden; another from Finland; and a couple of other guys in the NCAA via the USHL.

I mean if 'quantity' means anything, one or two of them have to work by the basic law of averages
The thing with the NHL draft is that your organization has no control of their development from 18 to like 20/21 in terms of direct coaching on the ice. You can communicate with them about nutrition plans, and workout regiments in the off-season and talk to them during the year, but their HC of their club determines their ice time and that HC has no allegience to any NHL team's prospects.

Jurmo, Myrenberg, Gabrielson, and now Petterson are playing in Europe.
Persson was in Sweden, then went to the WHL and now heading to the A
Truscott in NCAA
Dorrington heading to NCAA
and KK in the OHL.

MLB, when you get drafted, you end up in A ball and move up to High A, AA, then AAA. But the MLB team has control. NBA, either on the NBA roster or down to the G league which they run. NFL, either you are on the 53 man roster or the PS, otherwise, you're on the street looking for a job and are no longer part of their organization.

Canucks have zero control over the icetime that the prospects have.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don’t think Persson is heading to the AHL. Sounds like he’ll go back to Sweden and try and catch on with an SHL team.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Like this pick.

One of the best open ice hitters available this year. He is very physically imposing.

McKeen's 2022 NHL Draft Guide - One of the most physical defenders available this year, Dorrington is a 6’2, 192lbs defender with a penchant for the big hit. He is extremely aggressive in seeking out contact and closes lanes early and often by stepping up on attackers just inside the blueline, or even in the neutral zone. He routinely wins one on one battles in the corners and near the crease too. Without question, Dorrington has the potential to be one of the most difficult defenders to play against in this draft class. The rest of his game can best be described as raw. Playing in his first season at the USHL level, Dorrington’s play and decision making with the puck was erratic. He does not have terrific first step quickness, so he will need to learn to make better and quicker reads to avoid turnovers from the forecheck. There is also room for improvement as a four-way mover. He is not a poor mover, by any means, but his lateral quickness and transitional agility could be a little more fluid. At times he can take himself out of the play with his physical aggressiveness and does not have the high-end mobility to recover. A Northeastern commit, Dorrington is likely a stay-at-home type at the next level, but he shows enough flashes of strong puck play to suggest that he could have a ceiling as more of a two-way type. A bit of trivia, Dorrington is a distant cousin of Art Dorrington, who became the first black player to sign an NHL contract (with the New York Rangers) in 1950. - BO

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dorrington was selected for the U20 Summer Showcase by the US this summer and might actually be an under-the-radar candidate to turn up at the WJCs if he keeps performing like this.

Always nice when a late-round pick has a surprising bump like this into 'legitimate prospect' status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad