Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Cool to see their reactions

0F07F314-329C-4581-9C96-D5A227D7A67D.jpeg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Haven't heard it and rarely ever listen to Spittin Chiclets...though I am in the middle of listening to Patrik Elias' interview with them from a year or two ago - really interesting stuff.

As much as I appreciate Lou, you have to question some of the stuff he did even during the glory years. Elias talked about the chemistry he, Arnott and Sykora had and how the 3 of them would stay on the ice 10-15 minutes after practice and work together. Still baffled that Lou decided to break up the best line in team history less than a year after back-to-back Cup Finals. The sum was clearly better than the parts when it came to the A line. Lou also basically told Elias that he couldn't afford to give him what he was going to get in free agency and didn't negotiate at all. Elias had a deal in place with the Rangers for 6 years / $42M and would've gone there if Sather gave him a NTC. Instead, he had to call Lou himself and they agreed to a 7 year / $42M contract.

Also interesting to hear about the shouting match that Elias got into with Burns and that relationship. Really good listen overall.

It’s interesting to look at how payrolls changed.

People always bring up the Rangers (at the end of this era), but while it’s hilarious, they didn’t actually matter.

I mean, they definitely did in terms of jacking up salaries but they weren’t one of the top elite teams we were competing with.

Those Detroit and Colorado teams were amazing but they also outspent everyone by a lot.

We also were spending more than people think after McMullen sold the team in 2000, some teams really were spending way less than the big dogs. That’s why there was less “parity” that everyone brags about. It was a weird time. (And the Senators are damn impressive if you look at their payroll during those years.)

1A014D6F-2E66-424A-BADE-4E30FFF5AFBF.jpeg

Reactions: Guadana and Triumph

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
we didn't have Marino for like 2 months and he is back now. Him and Siegs are both very good defensively.

The problem is when the D corps is healthy, thats the six we're going to use. I don't see Ruff using L. Hughes over Smith.

Not many teams have an amazing collection of 6 defenseman where the worst one is better than Smith.

Not sure a cheap add will be an upgrade to Smith, particularly when have to take into account that they have to learn our weird system.

And it would have to be a very cheap upgrade to work capwise since we have accrued zero cap space by using LTIR.

And Smith annoys the crap out of me too.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Is it just me who thinks we need to add a veteran defenseman who actually plays solid D. Hamilton and Smith are black holes when it comes to defense. Remember no 3 on 3 in the playoffs. It seems like we’ve won half our games in OT.

Yup, Hamilton is not it. That "top pair" is not as sexy as I thought. Once Marino is back to game speed, he will take over the actual defense part.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
we didn't have Marino for like 2 months and he is back now. Him and Siegs are both very good defensively.

The problem is when the D corps is healthy, thats the six we're going to use. I don't see Ruff using L. Hughes over Smith.

Eh, I don't buy that. Remember he was the guy who "fixed" DeAngelo in NY and let Fox roam free in his rookie year. He'll play the right defensemen come playoffs, I think Luke will get games come playoffs.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think that hat would be a perfect fit for me without all that extra foam inside.

I have a big head :(

You won the poll!

6251CDF9-019B-4D67-B69E-E5BEF35E3F17.jpeg

Camille the Eel

In my opinion, Wood has not been the same player since the Romanov hit. He did make a couple nice defensive plays last night. But if he doesn't show improvement real soon, he should be scratched for a few games.
Yes he's very different but that could also be due to something besides that hit. It could be that effects of the surgery last year aren't holding. He doesn't look like he has the same explosive speed that he showed in prior seasons and at the start of this season. And Wood without that speed is a very different player of not outstanding skills.

I also see that line totally out of sync. Again and again the center or wing is starting to establish a cycle, and throws the puck behind the net or along the boards around the back of the net, but the player who should go behind the net or to the opposite corner doesn't go there. Instead he goes to the net front. The puck is turned over when no one goes to meet and retrieve it, and we are caught by the other teams exit.

Or the first player dumps it in so badly that there's no chance of retrieving it on the chip and chase, and again the puck is easily turned over and we are chasing them up the ice.

If they can't cycle the puck, what the hell are they out there for? It's so frustrating to watch.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'd look to trade Wood to some team that wants to check him out before potentially signing him. Free up some salary to trade for someone else for the Bottom 6 along with potentially a Meier.

Trade for some Pascal Rheaume/Grant Marshall/Patrick Maroon equivalent to take his place.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Did anyone notice Boeser good or bad? NJ is still allegedly linked to him in trade rumors. I didn’t notice him one way or the other but I wasn’t looking for him either.
I didn’t think to track him much but did mention not noticing him in the second period…and then still didn’t notice him. So that’s not great but it’s only 1 game.

Reactions: My3Sons

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Did anyone notice Boeser good or bad? NJ is still allegedly linked to him in trade rumors. I didn’t notice him one way or the other but I wasn’t looking for him either.
I didn’t notice him much. I don’t like the idea of trading for an average sized, average skating winger with a wicked shot…that’s Alex Holtz at 1/5 the cost. Timo on the other hand…

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
People are rightfully frustrated with Wood because lets face it his stick is where offense goes to die.
McLeod is also becoming more and more frustrating for me to watch, he continually takes a defender wide, beats him and then passes up a clear path to the net looking for a trailer... Take that shit to the net, and good things will happen, making low percentage passes from prime scoring areas is a recipe for disaster

We've also become so obsessed with getting Meier that it's going to once again be devastating when we miss on him too, but we'll just keep winning without him

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
People are rightfully frustrated with Wood because lets face it his stick is where offense goes to die.
McLeod is also becoming more and more frustrating for me to watch, he continually takes a defender wide, beats him and then passes up a clear path to the net looking for a trailer... Take that shit to the net, and good things will happen, making low percentage passes from prime scoring areas is a recipe for disaster

We've also become so obsessed with getting Meier that it's going to once again be devastating when we miss on him too, but we'll just keep winning without him

McLeod at least add value by playing the PK and being one of the top faceoff guys in the league...at less than a third of the cost of Wood. I'm not too bothered by McLeod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad