GDT: Canucks Development Camp

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll defend that Tochkin signing to the death.

IIRC, the window is only a few weeks, but it's been forever since I thought about it. I think it essentially allows teams to bring kids to summer dev camp and make a decision there.

Yup.

I don't know if Tochkin specifically was the right call but these are free 7th round picks.

I'd sign 1 or 2 every year. Philly in particular is a team that has done this really well with guys like Zamula and Myers.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He probably should look good in the highlights, he’s 22 turning 23 in November. When he hits the AHL he’s going to have to hit it running to have a chance at being anything for us.

It is really hard to measure his progress. Think about "Lekk" still being 17, 5 years younger- that is a huge spread. 5 years of hockey and physical development.... But Aiden did show well in some of those highlights

Reactions: Lindgren

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yup.

I don't know if Tochkin specifically was the right call but these are free 7th round picks.

I'd sign 1 or 2 every year. Philly in particular is a team that has done this really well with guys like Zamula and Myers.

Local kid who jumped from Junior B (entire season at 16 after going in the first round in the bantam draft - I'm curious about this) to leading the WHL (as well as the silvertips) in rookie scoring in what would have been his draft year. Canucks would have likely seen a fair bit of him as Ellington was still with the Silvertips at the time. Obviously didn't work out, but it's worth a shot if you've seen him up close a lot and think there's something there.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
My two cents on the only players I know:

Quinn Schmiemann - Left Defense: 6th Round Pick of the Lightning (2019) - went to Flyers camp in 2021.

Lead the Western Conference finalist Blazers in offensive production from the blueline last season at just shy of a point a game playing shutdown paring minutes largely with partner Ethan Brandwood (undrafted - Dallas camp). Quinn's strength is his silence. No flash. No egregious mistake. Consistent. Steady distributor of puck, possessional solid, capable skater (but not as impressive as Lindgren). Hard on the puck but not a masher. He's just always there.

Young for his draft class. The article below stated that in the 2019 Draft (his draft year) that he was ranked as the 13th best defensive prospect in the year using "Corsica's prospect model" which accounts for age, scoring, and league played in. Couldn't find a link. But, last season - having Schmiemann and Lindgren on two pairs, the two ate minutes and just played a settled game.

If he hits the NHL and I think it is possible - he's a 3rd pairing LD who you have confidence with but won't notice. And, there's a role there. Expect he isn't really deficient anywhere but has to improve a bit everywhere.

Post Draft Article from Tampa:
2019 Tampa Bay Lightning draft profiles: Quinn Schmiemann could be a late round value pick

Viktor Persson - Right Shooting Defense but I recall him predominantly on the left side as once Stacha was out with injury, there were only two left-shooting blueliners on the team: 7th Round Pick of the Canucks (2020).

Half a point per game. Improved over the season as time went on after coming over to get a taste of the smaller ice. Had a bit of a slower start and appeared to trend up towards the end of the season and made significant strides in the playoffs. A team guy - got the sense really wanted to be here in Canada.

Has above-average skating, not afraid of contact, his desire to put pressure up ice can get him into positional issues. He's got skills. But, he also has a major deficiency - he is inconsistent especially with his break-out passing. He can have a game where his up-ice passing has you smiling with every play he makes. He will then have a game where it feels as though every puck is off his hands to the opposing team.

Until the end of the Giants series/Thunderbirds series, he was rotating through all parings and largely taking 3rd pairing minutes (behind Schmiemann/Brandwood and Lindgren/(Bairos, Hammell) and I was not impressed as Hammell (16 year old) often was out-playing him). But, the last 10 games, he found his game and I thought might have a shot. Didn't get a sniff on the PP but did get some PK time.

I'm not bullish on Persson making it as he comes in as a 19 year old who was 3rd on the depth chart in junior, although playing on his off-side and his deficiency made him sometimes a liability.
So..

Luca Sbisa part deux?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Klimovich is going to be such a fun player to watch when he's ready for the NHL.
Have to agree....the kid has a rocket of a shot and some of his dangles out there are just plain filthy. When he starts to use his size and strength, look out. A big year in Abby coming up for Klimovich.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure McDonaugh didn't make a mistake in not turning pro. Don't know how much he gets out of returning and likely dominating at college. For him to progress, he likely needed to move it up to a higher level this season.
In principle I agree. But what have the Canucks A club done for anyone outside of goalies?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I wonder if we may have something in Linus Karlsson. Have to see him at the main camp.
I think we probably do. I imagine he may do one more year in Sweden (I think if we send him down he has to go there?) but I think he'll be a decent bottom 6 NHL option for us down the road. 46 points and 26 goals in 50ish SHL games is nothing to scoff at at the age of 22. Skating has always needed work, but he's smart with a good shot so that's a start

I'm interested in Myrenberg now after reading Faber's analysis of him. Big, right handed shot defender, who put up plenty of points in J20 and got a cup of coffee in limited SHL minutes. Mora in SWE-2 should actually be a great opportunity for him, and I'm hoping he can impress there before coming over to NA. Seems like a dark horse prospect at the moment, will keep my eye on him, especially with our lack of RD depth in the org

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we probably do. I imagine he may do one more year in Sweden (I think if we send him down he has to go there?) but I think he'll be a decent bottom 6 NHL option for us down the road. 46 points and 26 goals in 50ish SHL games is nothing to scoff at at the age of 22. Skating has always needed work, but he's smart with a good shot so that's a start

I'm interested in Myrenberg now after reading Faber's analysis of him. Big, right handed shot defender, who put up plenty of points in J20 and got a cup of coffee in limited SHL minutes. Mora in SWE-2 should actually be a great opportunity for him, and I'm hoping he can impress there before coming over to NA. Seems like a dark horse prospect at the moment, will keep my eye on him, especially with our lack of RD depth in the org
Persson likely not an nhler. So if not myrenberg there’s no one else that was drafted since Woo that you can hold out hope for than him.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's hard to assess the shot caliber of some of these players. They look elite against this level of goaltending.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's hard to assess the shot caliber of some of these players. They look elite against this level of goaltending.

It's pointless to try doing much in the way of evaluation, especially for the older guys.

A guy like Karlsson who is almost 23 and has been playing in the SHL and games for the Swedish National Team is just leagues above 17 year old kids who were just taken in the 6th round of the draft.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

I really like what Samuelsson had to say about Myrenberg going to the Allsvenskan:

“I spoke to him already about it and he doesn’t see it as a drop-down,” said Samuelsson. “He looks at his career and he needs to get ice time, and what he does out of that ice time — it’s up to him. But why are you going to be in SHL if you don’t play? It’ll get you a couple of more dollars in your pocket, but that’s it. He shouldn’t even think about that right now. He is thinking about his career and how to be the best he can be in three to four years. That’s going to be his focus.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad