GDT: Canucks Development Camp

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I really like what Samuelsson had to say about Myrenberg going to the Allsvenskan:

“I spoke to him already about it and he doesn’t see it as a drop-down,” said Samuelsson. “He looks at his career and he needs to get ice time, and what he does out of that ice time — it’s up to him. But why are you going to be in SHL if you don’t play? It’ll get you a couple of more dollars in your pocket, but that’s it. He shouldn’t even think about that right now. He is thinking about his career and how to be the best he can be in three to four years. That’s going to be his focus.”

Nice, thanks. Where did you get the quote from btw? I'd be interested in other comments made around our prospects.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really like what Samuelsson had to say about Myrenberg going to the Allsvenskan:

“I spoke to him already about it and he doesn’t see it as a drop-down,” said Samuelsson. “He looks at his career and he needs to get ice time, and what he does out of that ice time — it’s up to him. But why are you going to be in SHL if you don’t play? It’ll get you a couple of more dollars in your pocket, but that’s it. He shouldn’t even think about that right now. He is thinking about his career and how to be the best he can be in three to four years. That’s going to be his focus.”

For a guy like that it's a great move. He's probably only going to get limited minutes in the SHL but it's an opportunity to play a much bigger role. And he's only 19.

I'm less happy that Lekkerimaki is going to the Allsvenskan. Bigger talent who should be developing with big minutes at the SHL level.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
For a guy like that it's a great move. He's probably only going to get limited minutes in the SHL but it's an opportunity to play a much bigger role. And he's only 19.

I'm less happy that Lekkerimaki is going to the Allsvenskan. Bigger talent who should be developing with big minutes at the SHL level.

Isn't that just becasue Djurgarden was relegated. From what I understand it's unusual, they're typically a better team. I'd prefer the AHL but from what we know, not only is he slight but he had mono too. I hope they have a plan for his fitness.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't that just becasue Djurgarden was relegated. From what I understand it's unusual, they're typically a better team. I'd prefer the AHL but from what we know, not only is he slight but he had mono too. I hope they have a plan for his fitness.
Yeah, also Lekk is very young and apparently was still growing during his draft year. Petey was nearly a year older i think? when he jumped to the SHL after his draft year.
Where he plays next year will be interesting, hopefully that kid line goes full Dahlen hero mode and plays them back into the SHL, then the year after rookie year in Van.
Also: The SHL can go #### themselves for not giving prospects enough ice time lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any word on if anyone beat the Sedins on the grind... or are still struggling their way to the top?
I have little doubt that even pushing 40, the Sedins would be among the leaders in the Grouse Grind.

That's why these prospects can learn so much from Henrik and Daniel. Nobody worked harder at improving their craft and fitness than the Sedins. They literally willed themselves into the HOF.

I'm sure a lot of players learned this week just how hard it is to make it in pro hockey and how much work you have to continue to do just to stay in the NHL.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
One more year with Djurgården for Lekkerimäki, in an organisations that knows him him well and under a coach he has had personal success will not do him any harm. Allsvenskan is a great league for prospects and Djurgården has historically been one of the better teams to trust their prospects. Also has one more year left in school since he is a 2004 birthday. Staying in Djurgården if he's not playing in the NHL just makes so much sense. I think the only other option is NHL or AHL, Not sure about CHL but he can't play anywhere else in Europe unless Djurgården would release him from his contract. And why would they? Low cost with high upside.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Not sure where to put it, but i wish it was viable for the NHL to have an Equivalent to the NBA summer league. Rosters are probably to big though so small Dev tourneys are the best we got i think.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah its the biggest hurdle. Only thing you could do would make it no contact, but then whats the point.

Aside from non-contact hockey still being very physical, it'd also just be kind of a nightmare. The season is such a gruelling slog. Players basically need the offseason to rehab the injuries that pretty much everyone plays through over the course of the season, as well as rebuilding themselves after typically losing weight throughout the year. It'd be brutal - especially for young players who need the offseason to be able to build strength.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nils Aman winning some rave reviews at development camp.....viewed as one of the fastest players out there. He's a bit older than some of the other prospects at 22, and really didn't put up huge numbers in the SHL last year.

Hope he stays in Abbotsford rather than go back to Sweden, if he doesn't make the Canucks out of training camp, which seems unlikely. But good to see some real competition for spots in the bottom six.

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad