Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Senators | 5-2 | Thanks for the Good Time, Ray

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
We’ve had literally this exact conversation that sports is good again and she was like ‘why did you spend the last 10 years watching then?’ and … I don’t know.

I’ve called myself a masochistic Canucks fan many times and I think it’s accurate for most of us.

Since we’re all telling stories: my partner is more into football (NFL) but they’ve tried to get more into hockey for me. We started dating in the OEL year, not a great start. I vividly remember trying to explain the OEL trade to him, and just feeling nauseated the more I went into the contract details.

But he’s definitely said that my mortal dread has been much better and that my November depression is likely only the seasonal variety now, so that’s a win.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
We’ve had literally this exact conversation that sports is good again and she was like ‘why did you spend the last 10 years watching then?’ and … I don’t know.

I'm a legacy Patriots fan as well and still watching Mac Jones play football for some reason or another, that's just how it works.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
There’s a couple of noticeable posters, some that I actually like a lot, that were very upset about the direction of this time that haven’t posted in quite a while. Just an observation.

The amount of posters that I put on my ignore list in the past decade grew a lot, now that we are winning again I wonder how they’re feeling :sarcasm:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watched the 2nd and 3rd period on PVR.

We played like ass yet somehow won. You cannot complain about results but you get the sense the bus is really sputtering along the country road right now.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Solid road game from what I saw (missed the first half of the 3rd to take the dog outside, came back and we were up 4-2). Ottawa built a lot of momentum off their first PP and kept us in our own end the whole 1st period, but just like the Oilers, they were playing like their season depended on it and we just had to weather it. I loved the way we played in the late third, we could have easily looked at the shots/attempts/XGF/whatever graphs and said "we need shots!" but we closed it out with simple chip and change, always dumping into their corners or high-flipping into the NZ. And of course the Pettersson goal was just nasty. Two seconds was all it took to put the game away.

The biggest difference I find with Tocchet is that our defensive end isn't a fire drill when we're sitting on a lead. We're playing much more structured and with better habits, with great stick pressure. And of course the timely saves make us look better. The fact we didn't give them any powerplays in the 2nd or 3rd makes this feel like a gritty "identity" kind of road win. We got the goals we needed, bent-but-didn't-break, and quietly slipped out of town. Ottawa can hang their hat on the moral victory but for the Canucks it was a very encouraging W, to me at least

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
My partner and I got together in 2013 and when I’m yelling at the TV or whooping goals during a Canucks game she’s like ‘Who the hell are you?!?’ because I’ve she’s had to suffer through like 800 games in the last decade of my just LOLing at how shit my team is and not being emotionally invested at all in them succeeding.

lmao essentially had this exact conversation with my wife on saturday; we also started dating in 2013.

"you're actually smiling watching the canucks win??"

literally didn't even click in my brain that the canucks have been so dogshit during our entire relationship that any game we've watched together has been on in the background, with the outcome absolutely meaningless lol

sports

Reactions: arttk

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I just got tickets for the game on Thursday lmao.

MAN I LOVE THIS TEAM.

I’ve been to every home game aside from St Louis this year, I live close to the arena so can usually get a good deal close to game time. I had the week where I went to every game right when Bruce was hired but I haven’t had the want to go so much since like…. 2013

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
One thing I haven't seen is anyone talking about how bad the ice was in Ottawa too (its been bad in Vancouver too). Did the Zamboni drivers not get the message to stop heating the water before periods?

It was particularly bad at one end of the ice where you see the skaters falling a few times.
I think this contributed to how both teams played badly in different periods. Its not the whole story of course, but it was a factor in my eyes.

If you watch the game the players start to figure it out and when they were getting the puck out of their own end both sides start lobbing it instead hitting it along the ice.
---
Once again the opposition gives up against the 'Nucks after they get a near goal and our team gets one. As Shorty pointed out there was no attempt to even pull the goaltender late in the game.

Tkachuk scores that one and it's a different game entirely. Not a guaranteed win but it would have made us look like the Canucks of the last few years where they blow early leads to lose the game. Brady was killing himself on the bench over that so it clearly makes you think the way he goes, the Sens go.
---
Unlike most of you I'm not a fan of Ferraro on color. His voice grates me to no end. Tomlinson? is boring but I've noticed he's had insight into the game in ways I've not seen before.
---
PDO ? So my Wiki foo says PDO doesn't stand for anything but it was a statistic developed by some who plays video games?

Reactions: Jimnastic

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I honestly think that the Benning era was so bad for so long that people forgot how to enjoy sports and either just checked out or got locked into a negative mindset they couldn’t get out of. Like, I had to consciously do a huge reset post-Benning and make sure that I was looking at different things done by different people through a different filter.

Anyhow, yay for people who have said ‘I was wrong’ and are having fun. Because this is fun. It’s the most fun since the SJ series in 2011.
To be fair, this is an overly simplistic view point for many posters who were critical of the Canucks' direction. For my part, my preference was always a longer term rebuild (notwithstanding that I appreciated that this likely wasn't realistic because of our ownership), but I have never said or thought that a short term compete now retool couldn't work. I just thought, and still think, that the long term rebuild gives you the highest chances of developing a sustained Stanley Cup contending team and that's what I want.

The fact that the Canucks may pull off the short term compete now retool doesn't make my view wrong. As an extreme example, if my wife tells me that we should withdraw our life savings and put it all on green on the roullete table, I could rightfully tell her that's a terrible idea, and if she does that and wins it doesn't mean I was any less right, but you bet your ass I am going to still enjoy spending all that cash and living like a king. And right now, I am loving the Canucks success and 100% enjoying it. But that doesn't mean I was wrong.

Of course I don't mean to say that I haven't been wrong about anything. I am wrong all the time. As you had stated earlier in response to that guy dunking on people being critical of Miller, most of us are wrong a fair bit. Hockey is generally pretty unpredictable.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
To be fair, this is an overly simplistic view point for many posters who were critical of the Canucks' direction. For my part, my preference was always a longer term rebuild (notwithstanding that I appreciated that this likely wasn't realistic because of our ownership), but I have never said or thought that a short term compete now retool couldn't work. I just thought, and still think, that the long term rebuild gives you the highest chances of developing a sustained Stanley Cup contending team and that's what I want.

The fact that the Canucks may pull off the short term compete now retool doesn't make my view wrong. As an extreme example, if my wife tells me that we should withdraw our life savings and put it all on green on the roullete table, I could rightfully tell her that's a terrible idea, and if she does that and wins it doesn't mean I was any less right, but you bet your ass I am going to still enjoy spending all that cash and living like a king. And right now, I am loving the Canucks success and 100% enjoying it. But that doesn't mean I was wrong.

Of course I don't mean to say that I haven't been wrong about anything. I am wrong all the time. As you had stated earlier in response to that guy dunking on people being critical of Miller, most of us are wrong a fair bit. Hockey is generally pretty unpredictable.
I mean, I think wanting a rebuild was completely fair, but there were a ton of people confidently proclaiming that this team was just going all-in for a wildcard appearance and that it would be impossible to take a significant leap forward (even though there are several examples of this happening). And I think the argument that they had been "retooling for 10 years" or whatever was ridiculous. If I'm a hockey fan, I want to see my team make smart moves to give them a window to contend like the 2016 Bruins or whatever.

Last edited:

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver

I think it was also not having a clear read on new management to know if they had the skills or assets to pull off a retool. Which is still valid because what they’ve actually accomplished in the 2023 calendar year has been beyond impressive. There’s no way fans could have expected the pro + amateur scouting to do 180s and we didn’t really know what we had in Miky.

I think it’s valid to have been more on the traditional rebuild train prior to seeing actual results. And to the board’s credit, most posters said “hey if they can start well I will believe in this idea” or some version of it. Literally everything has gone right with this season and off season, given our history no actual Canucks fan would believe that could happen to them.

Reactions: Hodgy and arttk

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And of course the Pettersson goal was just nasty. Two seconds was all it took to put the game away.

The biggest difference I find with Tocchet is that our defensive end isn't a fire drill when we're sitting on a lead. We're playing much more structured and with better habits, with great stick pressure. And of course the timely saves make us look better. The fact we didn't give them any powerplays in the 2nd or 3rd makes this feel like a gritty "identity" kind of road win. We got the goals we needed, bent-but-didn't-break, and quietly slipped out of town. Ottawa can hang their hat on the moral victory but for the Canucks it was a very encouraging W, to me at least
I've always hated playing against teams like this current Canucks - hard to beat the goalie, and a split second miscue on the defensive side and the puck is in your net.

It's also why I expect PDO to remain above 100 for a while - the other goalie gets cold while Demko sees pucks, then all of a sudden their (cold) goalie has a Petey or a Miller or a Boeser or Kuzzie ripping or tapping one by them.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
With the quick start, felt like the Nucks expected this to be another laugher and they went to sleep. Full credit to OTT for clawing their way back in and even taking over the game for most of the second. But then when Tkachuk missed that empty tap in, I think the team was like "Shit, we could actually lose this."

Then they woke up and finished with a strong road third to take the win. Learning to win is a process, and many of these guys are used to the season being done by now. Nice to be a team that doesn't need to play their best game for 60 minutes to win games. (at least for now)

Reactions: BrendanGaunce4Selke

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

JohnHodgson took 5 or 6 different viewpoints, lumped them into an amalgamated strawman, and then categorized anyone who identified with one of those viewpoints as someone who identified with all of them.

There's a lot of that going around.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
JohnHodgson took 5 or 6 different viewpoints, lumped them into an amalgamated strawman, and then categorized anyone who identified with one of those viewpoints as someone who identified with all of them.

There's a lot of that going around.
A lot of what John Hodgson said was correct..imo..His delivery though,was unsubtle..like a ball peen hammer (I was on the other end of it a few times..lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad