Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Senators | 5-2 | Thanks for the Good Time, Ray

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I read this post to my wife and she said "That's you". Then I explained to her that it's not just that the Canucks are fun but all the teams I hate are utterly failing.
So she said been a while huh lol

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I read this post to my wife and she said "That's you". Then I explained to her that it's not just that the Canucks are fun but all the teams I hate are utterly failing.
Mine doesn't say anything.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

tumblr_o8d4vc4Pdx1rdn65io1_500.gifv

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
My partner and I got together in 2013 and when I’m yelling at the TV or whooping goals during a Canucks game she’s like ‘Who the hell are you?!?’ because I’ve she’s had to suffer through like 800 games in the last decade of my just LOLing at how shit my team is and not being emotionally invested at all in them succeeding.
Rofl, my wife has said similar things to me this season. Things like: "You've watched HOW MANY games this year?" "I've never heard you so riled up!" And then of course my favourite (whenever Hughes scores or makes a great play) "Huehuehue"

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I honestly think that the Benning era was so bad for so long that people forgot how to enjoy sports and either just checked out or got locked into a negative mindset they couldn’t get out of. Like, I had to consciously do a huge reset post-Benning and make sure that I was looking at different things done by different people through a different filter.

Anyhow, yay for people who have said ‘I was wrong’ and are having fun. Because this is fun. It’s the most fun since the SJ series in 2011.

I fell into the former camp (checked tf out while still loosely following toward the tail end of the Benning years) but I'm slowly but surely starting to work my way back. It's been such a breath of fresh air to just sit down to a game and... have fun?... for the first time in a decade?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another 'bend but don't break' game for the Canucks on the road.....after the early first period flurry, they were outshot and out-chanced for the next period and a half.

Lol!....Thought both Pettersson and Hughes had an 'off night'. But then you look at the scoresheet and see they're picking up points even without their 'A' games.

So now it's on to the center of the universe, where hopefully the Canucks come out with a lot more energy against the Leafs. Seems obvious that Tocchet was saving Demko for this one. Kind of curious that DeSmith will get two starts out of three games in Eastern Canada.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
As someone who basically just checked out of hockey after the sbisa and dorsett extentions it's been so fun to be invested in the team again. Although it's weird because I've been so used to not having to schedule around games, that it feels odd to have to worry about that again. Games like this feel so similar to the Gillis era, where it just always feels like they will find a way. It's probably not be a whole season like that, but I think this is legitimately a good team.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Another 'bend but don't break' game for the Canucks on the road.....after the early first period flurry, they were outshot and out-chanced for the next period and a half.

Lol!....Thought both Pettersson and Hughes had an 'off night'. But then you look at the scoresheet and see they're picking up points even without their 'A' games.

So now it's on to the center of the universe, where hopefully the Canucks come out with a lot more energy against the Leafs. Seems obvious that Tocchet was saving Demko for this one. Kind of curious that DeSmith will get two starts out of three games in Eastern Canada.
I think they're showing signs of being able to be trusted to put in the effort to be professional and enable the coach to steal some rest for his starter via playing Casey vs. inferior opponents in bulk.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Actually a very tight game till Ottawa tired in the third. Good to see we can take advantage of situations. Miller's goal was absolutely critical

Good

Miller - really can't a say enough about leadership and outstanding play in every zone. Remember when he first got here he was a kind of one way winger and whose main asset was coming off the wing with a good shot. Defensively he never seemed to get deep in his zone and mostly stick checked. But over the last couple of years he has transformed himself into a brute on the forecheck, a game manager and shutdown player. Become a complete player.

Hronek - no doubt the our best d-man in this one. Can effortless cover ground to take away chances and showed an excellent stick. Along with Hughes has changed the way we can come out of zone.

DiGuiseppe - dogged determination through out and showing the talent to make plays

Myers - both him and Soucy continue to break up plays. Didn't see Myers take step wrong in this game. Was even stepping up to the blue line to break up plays. Could see he was tentative b/c over his years in Vancouver he learned not to do this, since there was so little back check support and he often got burned (and maybe overly blamed) trying to take people had his line.

Mikheyev - is steadily improving. Thought he was he was the best player on his line throughout most of the game.

deSmith - little brain dead handling the puck out of his net but he was very important late in the second and at other times. Good at battling through traffic to stop point shots and really only gave up the one goal on the breakaway (other was an unstoppable fluke). Great pickup.

Hughes - not his best game but even when not 100% he contributes a ton. Play in his own zone remains very good which was the area he was predicted to have trouble with

Others

Hoglander - looks so close to really doing something. Showed more speed in this game. Appears to need only a little more poise around the other team's net. I think his overall play is improving but he still prone to making overly ambitious efforts. One example was in the second when he crossed the blue line with the puck and tried to make a play back and through an Ottawa player to Joshua. Play was all heading one way and play could have led to trapping much of teammates. Luckily the Ottawa player had trouble with the puck. These are the things Hoglander must stop doing. However, he does appear to becoming much more dangerous in the opponents zone. Also he was not perfect but better at getting the puck out of his zone.

Joshua - gradually improving but still real clumsy on his chances. Don't think he is back to play of last season. But, like others, he is working hard

Pettersson - people likely disagree but I didn't think he played that well. Too much skating into traffic (especially on the PP), too many errant passes, too many missed checks. But amid a lot of troublesome play , he has those moment of brilliance that turn a game. Just when I think he is playing a flakey brand of hockey he s does something great.

Garland - another game of buzzing around breaking up plays and creating chances, He is certainly not hurting the team but you wonder if his style will ever allow him to get in sync with other players. Sort of one man band out there.

Liked Ferraro and he is up grade on the other guy who often talked so softly that I couldn't really hear him well and I just stopped making the effort to listen to him.
Actually I don't think many here disagree at all. Pettersson hasn't quite looked right all season in fact and many have said as much.

Great breakdown. Always a pleasure to read.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I fell into the former camp (checked tf out while still loosely following toward the tail end of the Benning years) but I'm slowly but surely starting to work my way back. It's been such a breath of fresh air to just sit down to a game and... have fun?... for the first time in a decade?
i actually checked out too last season after the new year
I only remember a couple things from last season such as Kuzemenko playing well and his banada/chocolate/coke love and the Tocchet hiring

Reactions: Kickassguy

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I honestly think that the Benning era was so bad for so long that people forgot how to enjoy sports and either just checked out or got locked into a negative mindset they couldn’t get out of. Like, I had to consciously do a huge reset post-Benning and make sure that I was looking at different things done by different people through a different filter.

Anyhow, yay for people who have said ‘I was wrong’ and are having fun. Because this is fun. It’s the most fun since the SJ series in 2011.

I'll admit that I didn't think Tocchet and company would be this much of an improvement. Obviously I knew they wouldn't be as bad as Benning but it felt like another Tortorella like "change" and would have preferred at the time to take a longer vision of the team rather than win right now.

Clearly I was wrong about that and this team looks like it has come out of its near decade of darkness. I couldn't be more happy to be wrong and am thrilled I not longer have to cheer for a tank-thread a month into the season like in previous years.

I guess it is time for the bag to come off my head and a name change. Been sporting this avatar and "mood" for a loooong time.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that was a sloppy game but vancouver found a way to win. desmith was good. boeser is heating up. peteys ONE timer OH MY. hughes/hronek pairing fantastic again. next up toronto

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I usually love the military appreciation gear but Fanatics has some unholy knack of making shit look boring.

The Mrs hasn't been around very long, she only saw me get excited for the Buccs SB win and the Raptors Championship.

She is concerned at the regularity of it now.
My good buddy grew up in the Bay Area so it was great watching the Raps win with him lol.

Reactions: HighAndTight

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My partner and I got together in 2013 and when I’m yelling at the TV or whooping goals during a Canucks game she’s like ‘Who the hell are you?!?’ because I’ve she’s had to suffer through like 800 games in the last decade of my just LOLing at how shit my team is and not being emotionally invested at all in them succeeding.
Same experience here! :laugh:

Also the two games that me and my brother have been able to watch this season are just so light hearted affairs now.

Reactions: Vector

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

Excuse me. HF is my refuge from the Dutch. How dare you pollute the sanctity of this sanctuary with that language.

• Haha
Reactions: Hit the post

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This was one of those games where you see how disciplined structure and systems play gets you points.

This was not a great game. The Sens had too much control and the canucks couldn’t consistently get anything going. However, while the Sens had the zone time and shots they weren’t getting good chances. Structure is your trump card when the legs and/or mind just aren’t there.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Most things have already been said here, but one thing that stood out to me was that the forwards were not supporting the breakout properly today. Lots of guys standing around at the opposing blueline, forcing the dmen to make long stretch passes, and because the guys were standing still, it ended up being a deflection/dump-in.

Systems and structure were great in the d-zone which kept Ottawa to the outside for the most part, but the breakouts need to be cleaned up. Too many times Hughes was forced to rush the puck up when he clearly didn't want to, which led to uncharacteristic turnovers by him.

Ottawa was desperate, but their in-zone defensive structure was pretty awful and they gave up a ton of room on the ice. The Canucks capitalized on it pretty hard despite a pretty sloppy effort all around.

Glad to see that some of the parts of the structure are starting to get ingrained into the team and carrying them when they aren't on their A-game, but still a ways to go (which is completely fine given its still early in the season).

Reactions: alternate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad