Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Golden Knights | 5 - 1 | Boeser, Miller, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Horvat

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not sure how that was a steal. He played solid. There weren't any posts or near misses in this game like there were against Colorado. The Canucks after the first 10 minutes were the better team.

How does a "post or near miss" = a goaltender stealing a game?

Goaltender making saves that you shouldn't expect him to make. That is what Im talking about.

Martin made like 10 this game.

Canucks scored on the PP but got mostly dominated 5on5. Wasnt until 7:16 in to the 1st we got our 1st shot on goal.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Miller is hilarious.

In the offensive zone he fights for pucks when he turns them over, even dove after a player when he turned the puck over this game.

In the Dzone he just puck watches. Stops skating. If he turns the puck over he doesn't really give a f***.

The closer to the opposing net he is the faster skater he becomes.

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Play Demko and Stillman = we lose

Play Martin and Burroughs = we win

I’m not sure why these “professionals” take so long to adapt when the fans find it so friggen obvious. We could have had a few more wins by now.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
And you think we score five if Spencer lets in 2 to start the game?

Its a whole different game we are talking about.

We gave up grade A chance after grade A chance. This time we got bailed out by our goalie.
If I had to guess you also think Demko is playing average and it's just the Canucks defense that is at fault that his record and stats are terrible. These are NHL goalies, they are supposed to make saves on high danger scoring chances. It drives me nuts when Demko shat the bed, and we have people defend him by saying every goal was too hard to save. Martin had a good game for an NHL goalie, but he wasn't lights out and he certainly wasn't the only reason the Canucks won.

Feb 19, 2018
Team is playing looser and you can see it, not uptight and worrying about mistakes etc. This is a team coming together after a bunch of public scrutiny and embarrassment from fans all the way to management.

It’s Myers and Boeser who unfortunately need to go in order to accommodate salary cap complications as Horvat and Kuzmenko will need raises. Miller just signed and OEL is unfortunately making too much and has no value + NTC. Lekkerimaki you hope comes in eventually and takes Boesers space and we find a UFA to replace Myers in the offseason with the CAP apparently going up 4 million as well.

Demko will find his game but I’m not going to lie, Martin I bet has some serious value building and we are lucky we singed him to a 2 year deal. A cost controlled Backup to a contender could be worth a ton come trade deadline to a team like the Leafs, depending our position as well in the standings.

I still think we should be in sell mode in order to rebuild the roster properly up the Middle and on Defence, we have the Goalie despite his season so far. If we can unload Miller, Boeser, Myers, Pearson and can use the picks/money to gain a true defensive 3C and two top 4 RHS Dmen (Severson, Zub, Mayfield) we could be in good shape.

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If I had to guess you also think Demko is playing average and it's just the Canucks defense that is at fault that his record and stats are terrible. These are NHL goalies, they are supposed to make saves on high danger scoring chances. It drives me nuts when Demko shat the bed, and we have people defend him by saying every goal was too hard to save. Martin had a good game for an NHL goalie, but he wasn't lights out and he certainly wasn't the only reason the Canucks won.
If I had to guess you also think that the difference between how Demko and Martin have played so far this year has been massive.

He absolutely was lights out this game.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Team is playing looser and you can see it, not uptight and worrying about mistakes etc. This is a team coming together after a bunch of public scrutiny and embarrassment from fans all the way to management.

It’s Myers and Boeser who unfortunately need to go in order to accommodate salary cap complications as Horvat and Kuzmenko will need raises. Miller just signed and OEL is unfortunately making too much and has no value + NTC. Lekkerimaki you hope comes in eventually and takes Boesers space and we find a UFA to replace Myers in the offseason with the CAP apparently going up 4 million as well.

Demko will find his game but I’m not going to lie, Martin I bet has some serious value building and we are lucky we singed him to a 2 year deal. A cost controlled Backup to a contender could be worth a ton come trade deadline to a team like the Leafs, depending our position as well in the standings.

I still think we should be in sell mode in order to rebuild the roster properly up the Middle and on Defence, we have the Goalie despite his season so far. If we can unload Miller, Boeser, Myers, Pearson and can use the picks/money to gain a true defensive 3C and two top 4 RHS Dmen (Severson, Zub, Mayfield) we could be in good shape.

Cheers 🍻

ferland + holtby/virtanen buyouts coming off the books gives us $6 million + cap going up = $10 million

pearson and myers both have 1 year left you could trade them both at 50% retained giving us another 4.6 + 10 = 14.6 million

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Vegas looked awful for most of the night, which is becoming a recent trend for them. The Canucks took care of business on the PP from an undisciplined VGK team. I would go back to Demko in SJ, but Martin has earned more starts.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The pro-tank crowd has for some time wildly exaggerated this teams goaltending performances, as if it somehow invalidates the teams efforts, and makes it easier to stomach a blowup doll.

Other teams, even opposing teams goalies, do in fact, make saves as well. For every WTF Myers moment, there is an EP/BO/JT/Whoever scoring chance, which can usually be traced back to some derp moment by the other team.

EP had like 2 SH breakaways today, JT and Bo each had multiple clean shots on 2v1's. All saved, still they hung 5, and could have gone further if it was a closer game that needed it.

Martin was good.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good on the Canucks for demonstrating that they can beat Vegas and LA..Maybe it might quieten down the ‘grass is always greener’ crowd ( the posters that can’t stop gushing over the Kings And Knights).

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If I had to guess you also think that the difference between how Demko and Martin have played so far this year has been massive.

He absolutely was lights out this game.
Hmm? The stats match the eye test: Demo has been shite, Martin has been good.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I never thought I'd say this, but I feel like this defensive core's holes (which looked unplayable/impossible to fix at the beginning of the year) seem pretty reasonably patched up now, what with Burroughs and Bear suddenly looking like borderline top 4 defensemen.

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Burroughs - Myers

That looks about as good as anyone could have hoped for, unless Burroughs/Bear's play falls back off again. Myers is now the weakest link, which isn't too bad of a situation. His hit or miss erraticness is a lot easier to stomach when the other five guys are pretty reliable.

If/when Myers goes down with an injury this season and the other five guys are healthy, that's ideally the situation where I'd want Rathbone to be eased in, personally.

Fire Stillman out of a rocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

We gave up grade A chance after grade A chance. This time we got bailed out by our goalie.
There were a couple of big saves early but this was far far from a game we were carried. Vegas could have had 3 or 4 goals but we could have gotten ten. Logan Thompson had a really good game.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
For me, one of the surprising bright spots was OEL...I thought he had a pretty strong game, only played just over 15 minutes but he seemed more dialed in and involved than in previous games. Maybe cutting back his minutes will help him long term. I'll be curious to see how he plays tonight in the 2nd game of back-to-backs.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There were a couple of big saves early but this was far far from a game we were carried. Vegas could have had 3 or 4 goals but we could have gotten ten. Logan Thompson had a really good game.
I think it is just really important for people to understand that THIS was the 1st game where he actually did play significantly better than Demko this year.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If a goaltender has played very well for a prolonged stretch, you keep playing them.

Myers and OEL are both still pretty good defenders when they play simple games. They had one scoring chance between them and were efficient on their own side of centre. Keep both of them rested and off of special teams and let them eat 5v5 minutes.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I definitely agree even if you're getting push back on this.

Martin made two huge saves on point blank chances very early in the game. If Vegas scores on either, or both I think you see the team completely deflate, and a very different final score.

We've seen it before when the team doesn't get timely saves, they just wilt and fall apart.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Martin definitely came up with a couple of good saves at the start from the slot, but I think Vegas didn’t have a lot of traffic in front of the net and Martin could see most of the shots after that and Vegas fluffed a few chances entirely. You expect an NHL goalie to save the vast majority of those. I don’t think this was a steal by the goalie, but a good performance.

You would expect a good team like Vegas to have some chances against just about any team, especially at home in the second period with the long change and chasing.

The Canucks didn’t allow as many odd man rushes and kept the front of the net relatively clear, so that was an improvement and it was a thoroughly deserved win.

And Demko has definitely been below par this year, by almost every metric, it’s not just the Canucks defense (which I think the forwards have been equally responsible for).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad