Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Stars - 5-4 (OT) (Beauvillier x2, Dries, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko)

Nov 1, 2011
Seems to be making a better effort second half imo. Unfortunately it’s not good enough and he really has no role in this team.

Needs to be traded, priority number 1

Really, over OEL?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
For those arguing that the Canucks have been better defensively under Tochhet than they were under Boudreau, needs to burn the tape of this one.

High-danger chances were listed at 20-3 for the Stars. Breakaways, odd-man rushes, bad down low coverage, you name it and the Canucks were guilty of it. But somehow despite being outshot by a 2-1 margin they find a way to get an OT win.

Kuzmenko is almost single-handedly costing the Canucks to draft Connor Bedard.....but you have to feel good for him nevertheless. He's on a serious heater these days with late heroic goals.

Demko must have thought he was playing down the stretch a year ago, when he was all-world and the Canucks somehow went 32-15 to close out the season. Reminded everyone that when he's on his game, there are few goalies in the NHL who are better.
Well, duh.

They had IMPROVED. It's not like this is a brand new team. Dallas is an actual playoff team with Cup aspirations. Why would we have looked good with Hughes and then a cast of 1000 AHL-ers lugging around Myers?

I already said that we had improved defensively under Tocchet against a contender (NYR), and a bad team (PHI), and a playoff bubble team (NSH). That gave us a good chance to win against STL, which we did.

I thought we had to weather the storm against a run of all playoff teams but we held our own against Boston which was counter to my wildest expectation. Now we beat Dallas who, yes, basically owned us. But that's one very poor game versus 5 games in a row against a variety of competition.

Heck, even this game we only gave up 7 shots in the 1st period on the road.

The trend is there. There is more structure under Tocchet and it is leading to more competitive games and better defensive outcomes overall.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Also, with Beauvillier, a contending team who acquires him is more likely to deploy him like the Islanders than the Canucks so they weigh more his Islanders’ production.

Reactions: Indiana and timw33

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Well, duh.

They had IMPROVED. It's not like this is a brand new team. Dallas is an actual playoff team with Cup aspirations. Why would we have looked good with Hughes and then a cast of 1000 AHL-ers lugging around Myers?

I already said that we had improved defensively under Tocchet against a contender (NYR), and a bad team (PHI), and a playoff bubble team (NSH). That gave us a good chance to win against STL, which we did.

I thought we had to weather the storm against a run of all playoff teams but we held our own against Boston which was counter to my wildest expectation. Now we beat Dallas who, yes, basically owned us. But that's one very poor game versus 5 games in a row against a variety of competition.

Heck, even this game we only gave up 7 shots in the 1st period on the road.

The trend is there. There is more structure under Tocchet and it is leading to more competitive games and better defensive outcomes overall.
Can't wait to be a middle round pick and then watch the Canucks with their new found structure completely collapse in the first half of next season then do all this again.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Can't wait to be a middle round pick and then watch the Canucks with their new found structure completely collapse in the first half of next season then do all this again.
Pretty much.

This team is in garbage time and playing against teams giving 70% effort.

Also Tocchet riding his stars like rented mules is stupid. Right now should be about giving young players some opportunity to see what they can do. Not only does riding stars limit this opportunity, it also puts them at risk of injury. And Petey and/or Hughes possibly missing significant off season training just to pick up extra points (which only hurt us long term) is dumb.

I can often see the other side to an argument, but here there just is none. How they are going about this stretch drive is only going to hurt them going forward. It’s annoying as hell and so Canuck.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He should be coaching every game like it’s game seven. Abc his player should be playing that way too.

In a season with 6 preseason games, 82 regular season games, and upwards of 12+ back to back games with travel.

No, no they shouldn't be playing like it's a G7 every night. That's some John Torterella crap that works for like 25 games and burns out the team.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
1677608513717.jpeg

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Also Tocchet riding his stars like rented mules is stupid. Right now should be about giving young players some opportunity to see what they can do. Not only does riding stars limit this opportunity, it also puts them at risk of injury. And Petey and/or Hughes possibly missing significant off season training just to pick up extra points (which only hurt us long term) is dumb.

I can often see the other side to an argument, but here there just is none. How they are going about this stretch drive is only going to hurt them going forward. It’s annoying as hell and so Canuck.

he's managing like every game is game 7 of the stanley cup finals for some reason. either he feels he's got something to prove or management/ownership are putting on pressure to give them something to hang ticket sales on

either way he should stop doing it

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
In a season with 6 preseason games, 82 regular season games, and upwards of 12+ back to back games with travel.

No, no they shouldn't be playing like it's a G7 every night. That's some John Torterella crap that works for like 25 games and burns out the team.
It works in video games I hear

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

he's managing like every game is game 7 of the stanley cup finals for some reason. either he feels he's got something to prove or management/ownership are putting on pressure to give them something to hang ticket sales on

either way he should stop doing it

I somewhat agree - Podkolzin's icetime last night was frustrating - but it does have to be acknowledged that the roster Tocchet was working with last night was horrific.

3 of the 6 defenders were in the AHL 2 weeks ago (including the other 2 LS defenders after Hughes) and the #2C was Nils Aman who was also in the AHL a couple weeks ago. I have literally never seen a weaker C/D group dressed for a Vancouver Canucks team.

There's a balance between, 'yes, we should be rolling lines and not burning guys out' and 'losing 8-1 and getting outshot 55-12 helps nothing in terms of the process and system they're trying to establish for next year'.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
yup, I like how quickly Tocchet has been able to identify the main problems with the team, and overall structure and effort is much better.

However, he needs to focus less on wins/losses (like he said) and more on development, there's no way playing Hughes and Petey till they drop is developing other young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad