Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 3-2 (OT) (Hawyrluk, Pearson, Miller)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A win is a win....but no other way to describe this game but an embarrassment. Demko blitzed with 46 shots and at least four other posts and crossbars......The shocking thing to contemplate is that the Canucks are still one of the worst defensive teams in the league, yet they're getting Vezina quality goaltending night after night. Without it, they can't win.

The turnovers tonight were almost comical....and it was the veterans like Sutter and Miller who had nightmarish games. If they come up with an effort like this in Montreal on the weekend, not even Demko can save them.

Last edited:

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
When both goalies were being ass, there was plenty of moaning about we should have re-signed Markstrom over Demko..The flip flopping still continues .

Demko has never played a full NHL season as a #1..they were not just going to throw him in the deep end (in a condensed schedule)...Thats probably a good way to ruin his confidence....Thats why they got Holtby.

Fortunately,It's good for the team, that Demko has taken the reins, and is able to handle the load.

agreed with you fully and im team fire benning. you just know a lot of the guys here who hated letting go markstrom a few months ago would now be calling benning a moron for once again signing a huge contract instead of going with young demko. maybe we should of traded him in 18-19 season after a great year. it wouldnt make sense though because of benning targeting myers and miller but to let markstrom go. the arguement was not if we should of traded him earlier, it was that if not signing him to a nmc 6x6 was dumb. and now it proved benning really did do something good this off season

again i will say im team fire benning but sometimes you have to see something he did do right

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Real talk. With all the divisional games does anyone still think we have a shot at the playoffs. Not do we deserve it but can we fluke it and make it?

Toronto and Edmonton will out score their troubles.
Calgary is play Sutter hockey again.
Winnipeg is done tuning their engine.

We could catch Montreal if they can't fix their stuff, but the Canucks would have to go on an insane run and hope something crazy happens.

I want it to happen, but this set back in some ways is good for the team to grow too.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Again good goal tending and good PKing got this team through. On the general play probably second best and Demko again able to hide a lot of the unsightly warts in the team's play. Worst thing about this game was 'Garrulous Garett' trying to blame Demko for the tying goal. Maybe he should look at Loui (and why and the hell was he put out there) puck watching and leaving the slot wide open. All he has to do was take a step back and just watch for anyone coming up the middle. Was a horrible defensive play by the $6 million dollar man and if Garett couldn't see that he has no business trying to describe what is happening. Just brain dead blaming Demko.

Good

Demko - Tank destroyer. Needs to be signed long term and, unfortunately, there goes any room for improvement elsewhere. Throw in Holtby's contract and we're way over heavy on money for goaltending. Another example of astute planning

Hawryluk - gave the team some pop from the 4th line. Ended up a +2 and was a pain to play against. Probably back on the IR soon the way he throws his body around.

MacEwen - like the way he played this game. Thought he was strong on the forecheck and consistent in getting the puck out of his end and getting it through the neutral zone. And every bit as effective as Roussel once again demonstrating that he don't need to be paying someone l3 million to play on your bottom line. Indeed, MacEwen might have future which Roussel doesn't, he can actually take on heavy weights which Roussel really can't (note the Reaves hugging last year), and can drive the puck from the outside to the net while Roussel can carry the puck for maybe 10 feet. However, soon as he is ready Roussel likely to be back in there since we don't want to make Benning's mistakes too glaring.

Edler - generally strong and particularly on the PK. Not err free (but no one on the Canuck defense is close to that) but brought more physical play and strength in front of his net in recent games. Hard to imagine the team defense without him but given the complete cap mess hard to see how he gets brought back. But then again we will still have Loui.

Benn - he has steady over the last while. Moving the puck so much better. Think he is making Myers a better player.

Pearson - with Hoglander and Horvat, helped create the most offense for the team. Also was good on the PK

Others

Boeser - to me he was a no show.

Miller - dreadful turnovers but then scores nice winner. Canucks have looked more solid defensively with him at center and will be a bit of dilemma when Pettersson returns.

Virtanen - some good, some bad. Always limited by not having a quick mind to see the right play. Has been a lot better than earlier in the season but that is not saying much. Noticed tonight how much Dzingel plays like Virtanen. Both with great speed but don't always look like they know what they're doing.

Hughes got caught up ice too much and again some major problems deep in his end.. Have to ask whether this player ever comes off in OT. Anyhow, nice pass on the winner.

Unbelievable amount of blind backhand hoper passes in this one. Many of them pick off for good scoring chances. That type of play will likely doom the team when they move up competition. Series against Montreal will likely tell the tale for this season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
agreed with you fully and im team fire benning. you just know a lot of the guys here who hated letting go markstrom a few months ago would now be calling benning a moron for once again signing a huge contract instead of going with young demko. maybe we should of traded him in 18-19 season after a great year. it wouldnt make sense though because of benning targeting myers and miller but to let markstrom go. the arguement was not if we should of traded him earlier, it was that if not signing him to a nmc 6x6 was dumb. and now it proved benning really did do something good this off season

again i will say im team fire benning but sometimes you have to see something he did do right
The 'we should have traded Markstrom at last years TDL ' (you know who you are) is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen here..Team is in the thick of a playoff run, and you trade your MVP.?..Ludicrous....Benning has made plenty of blunders, and you are justified in having a different GM...but in this particular case, he made the right call.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The 'we should have traded Markstrom at last years TDL ' (you know who you are) is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen here..Team is in the thick of a playoff run, and you trade your MVP.?..Ludicrous....Benning has made plenty of blunders, and you are justified in having a different GM...but in this particular case, he made the right call.

That's not how it works - why you make up stuff again?

At the TDL, the team should have traded a 1st to unload Loui to free up cap space, and another 1st to acquire a top6F or elite 3C. That's what I lobbied for. Sadly, like Cassandra, the more right, the more the mocking.

Because last season was the only window we are ever going to see for the past half decade, and the next half decade. Take a look at the age of our players, and Capfriendly. Or don't.

But if the GM doesn't go in for it at last TDL back in 2020 - when the only window will ever present itself in a decade - then of course you don't acquire Tofu, instead you trade Tanev and Marky for futures.

I hate always being right as much as other posters always like being wrong, but it is a burden that must be borne.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
That's not how it works - why you make up stuff again?

At the TDL, the team should have traded a 1st to unload Loui to free up cap space, and another 1st to acquire a top6F or elite 3C. That's what I lobbied for. Sadly, like Cassandra, the more right, the more the mocking.

Because last season was the only window we are ever going to see for the past half decade, and the next half decade. Take a look at the age of our players, and Capfriendly. Or don't.

But if the GM doesn't go in for it at last TDL back in 2020 - when the only window will ever present itself in a decade - then of course you don't acquire Tofu, instead you trade Tanev and Marky for futures.

I hate always being right as much as other posters always like being wrong, but it is a burden that must be borne.
trade Loui to who?

Reactions: Raistlin1022

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Demko is emerging into a top 10 goaltender, soon to be top 5.

You can harp on Benning all you want but his fingerprints are going to be on this team for another decade regardless of who is the GM. You don't trade a core of Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin when they are/yet to be in their prime.

Such a shame he sorrounded them with the the 3rd and 4th line overpaid scrubs that he has

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
I can tell you for fact FA heard about the flack that he only tweets after a win then started doing it on purpose. He actually has a good sense of humour
The 2nd time he tweeted, I had a feelin' it was trolling.

The 3rd time it happened, I was pretty sure the man was trolling.

I had a good laugh because it's easy to laugh when we're winning.

Thanks for confirming.

(Recently revealed image of Aquilini tweeting below)

7pIKURP.jpg

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If you think Ottawa is an AHL team, I think maybe you should start paying a bit more attention, for once..?..Before last nights game, they were 5 wins and 1 loss at home, in their last six...... and thats beating the Leafs, Habs, Flames...
The Sens will break out in the next year or two with their young talent..I have to assume you didn't watch the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Canucks LB

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Again good goal tending and good PKing got this team through. On the general play probably second best and Demko again able to hide a lot of the unsightly warts in the team's play. Worst thing about this game was 'Garrulous Garett' trying to blame Demko for the tying goal. Maybe he should look at Loui (and why and the hell was he put out there) puck watching and leaving the slot wide open. All he has to do was take a step back and just watch for anyone coming up the middle. Was a horrible defensive play by the $6 million dollar man and if Garett couldn't see that he has no business trying to describe what is happening. Just brain dead blaming Demko.

Good

Demko - Tank destroyer. Needs to be signed long term and, unfortunately, there goes any room for improvement elsewhere. Throw in Holtby's contract and we're way over heavy on money for goaltending. Another example of astute planning

Hawryluk - gave the team some pop from the 4th line. Ended up a +2 and was a pain to play against. Probably back on the IR soon the way he throws his body around.

MacEwen - like the way he played this game. Thought he was strong on the forecheck and consistent in getting the puck out of his end and getting it through the neutral zone. And every bit as effective as Roussel once again demonstrating that he don't need to be paying someone l3 million to play on your bottom line. Indeed, MacEwen might have future which Roussel doesn't, he can actually take on heavy weights which Roussel really can't (note the Reaves hugging last year), and can drive the puck from the outside to the net while Roussel can carry the puck for maybe 10 feet. However, soon as he is ready Roussel likely to be back in there since we don't want to make Benning's mistakes too glaring.

Edler - generally strong and particularly on the PK. Not err free (but no one on the Canuck defense is close to that) but brought more physical play and strength in front of his net in recent games. Hard to imagine the team defense without him but given the complete cap mess hard to see how he gets brought back. But then again we will still have Loui.

Benn - he has steady over the last while. Moving the puck so much better. Think he is making Myers a better player.

Pearson - with Hoglander and Horvat, helped create the most offense for the team. Also was good on the PK

Others

Boeser - to me he was a no show.

Miller - dreadful turnovers but then scores nice winner. Canucks have looked more solid defensively with him at center and will be a bit of dilemma when Pettersson returns.

Virtanen - some good, some bad. Always limited by not having a quick mind to see the right play. Has been a lot better than earlier in the season but that is not saying much. Noticed tonight how much Dzingel plays like Virtanen. Both with great speed but don't always look like they know what they're doing.

Hughes got caught up ice too much and again some major problems deep in his end.. Have to ask whether this player ever comes off in OT. Anyhow, nice pass on the winner.

Unbelievable amount of blind backhand hoper passes in this one. Many of them pick off for good scoring chances. That type of play will likely doom the team when they move up competition. Series against Montreal will likely tell the tale for this season.
Orcatown, always enjoy your post-game synopsis. Not sure I agree with you on the blame for the tying goal. My understanding is that the forward (Eriksson) should collapse down if there is a player open in the slot. But Hamonic was in position to take the forward in front of the net and should have played tight to him as he saw him cruising into a scoring area. Instead, he stayed off to the corner even though Edler had it covered. Eriksson would have presumably been aware of Hamonic's presence and stayed high to deal with threats from above the slot. Perhaps I need to watch it again and am open to a different and better analysis.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Like orcatown - I was shocked at the number of blind, behind the back drop passes the Canucks were trying to get away with in their own end. The Sens feasted on that stupidity all night. Should hopefully be a major talking point for the coaches as they prepare for the next game.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Real talk. With all the divisional games does anyone still think we have a shot at the playoffs. Not do we deserve it but can we fluke it and make it?

I'd normally say not a chance, but considering every game is divisional, it's entirely possible.

We have 4 more games against Calgary, and 2 more games against Montreal, we need to perform well in those games to have a chance. We also have 5 more games against Ottawa, and last nights pitiful effort not withstanding, we should be able to win 4/5 of those games. Then, there is always the chance that Edmonton could have a meltdown and miss out. It sure wouldn't be the first time, and if you look at their points in the standings vs. game played they're in the same tier as Calgary and Montreal. If they have an injury to McDavid or Draisaitl, they're pretty much done.

So we have an outside chance to get in still, I'd say. We need to win games, period, and manage our losses better. We need a bit of luck as well that hopefully Edmonton, Calgary, and Montreal have some poor stretches ahead. We also need to stay healthy ourselves, we really need Pettersson back.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Can easily claw back into the playoffs, every game that is played in this division is a 4 point game. It's going to be hyper competitive to the last game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You watch a game like last night, and you really can't come to any other conclusion than the Canucks need a coaching shakeup. It obviously won't happen this season, but has to for next season.

I see the same mistakes from the same players, night after night. Defensively, this team appears to have made zero progress to me over the past three seasons. Without Demko performing miracles last night, this is a 6-2 loss at a minimum.

In fact you have to wonder just how bad the Canuck record would have been without semi-miraculous goaltending from Markstrom and now Demko over the past two seasons. They certainly would have missed the playoffs for sure and would be in the midst of a six-year playoff drought.

Sometimes a team just needs a new voice behind the bench. I have no doubts that Sutter will get the Flames re-engaged and probably back into a playoff spot in short order. It's time for a change in Vancouver.

Reactions: Indiana

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
On Mar 1st,
We were:
10 pts back of Edm(1 gm in hand)
9 pts back of Wpg (4 gms)
5 back of Mon (4 gms)
4 back of Cgy (2 gms)

March 15th:
6 pts back of Wpg (4 gms)
6 pts back of Edm (1 gm)
3 pts back on Mon (4 gms)
1 pt back of Cgy (3 gms)

Process of chipping away is going slow... but is there.

next 5 gms prior to our week break will determine the season... either we will be on the cusp with a decent chance or completely out of it.

@ Ott, @ Mon, @ Mon, Wpg, Wpg, 1 week break...

Need Motte and Pettersson back.
Need Wpg, Toronto, Ott to heat up win every game not against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
You watch a game like last night, and you really can't come to any other conclusion than the Canucks need a coaching shakeup. It obviously won't happen this season, but has to for next season.

I see the same mistakes from the same players, night after night. Defensively, this team appears to have made zero progress to me over the past three seasons. Without Demko performing miracles last night, this is a 6-2 loss at a minimum.

In fact you have to wonder just how bad the Canuck record would have been without semi-miraculous goaltending from Markstrom and now Demko over the past two seasons. They certainly would have missed the playoffs for sure and would be in the midst of a six-year playoff drought.

Sometimes a team just needs a new voice behind the bench. I have no doubts that Sutter will get the Flames re-engaged and probably back into a playoff spot in short order. It's time for a change in Vancouver.

On the coaching side - a long standing pet peeve of mine is how often the Canucks give up possession of the puck intentionally when entering the attacking zone. They dump the puck in / ring it around and chase after it. But a lot of their forwards lack the foot speed to win those races, and they get absolutely mystified by goaltenders who can play the puck (Carey Price is a great example - he’s single handedly foiled the Canucks’ “forecheck” in almost every game they’ve played this year). In spite of ample in-game evidence that this strategy is not working, the Canucks keep performing the definition of insanity trying it over and over again.

Gaining the zone with possession of the puck is so critical to establishing any kind of pressure in today’s NHL. I really wish Green and the coaches would spend more time working on that rather than this idiotic chip and chase strategy.

(That’s my rant)

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
On the coaching side - a long standing pet peeve of mine is how often the Canucks give up possession of the puck intentionally when entering the attacking zone. They dump the puck in / ring it around and chase after it. But a lot of their forwards lack the foot speed to win those races, and they get absolutely mystified by goaltenders who can play the puck (Carey Price is a great example - he’s single handedly foiled the Canucks’ “forecheck” in almost every game they’ve played this year). In spite of ample in-game evidence that this strategy is not working, the Canucks keep performing the definition of insanity trying it over and over again.

Gaining the zone with possession of the puck is so critical to establishing any kind of pressure in today’s NHL. I really wish Green and the coaches would spend more time working on that rather than this idiotic chip and chase strategy.

(That’s my rant)

It's maddening. It's why they go long stretches without being able to buy a goal. And it wears out the players too. We have a lot of good skaters who shoot well but we are not seeming to utilize these talents. Good teams find ways to attack the net with speed and have trailers coming in for rebounds. Our guys seem to deliberately slow down and we've seen countless rushes amount to nothing because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad