Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Rangers - 5-2 (Pearson, Myers, Lammikko, Highmore, Pettersson)

JT Miller would be the best or 2nd best forward on the Rangers?

• Total voters

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
When our 3 franchise cornerstones Demko/Pettersson/Hughes are playing at the level they can play at they can beat any team in the league. Even with how horrid the right side of the defence is.

The decision on Miller might be the biggest one in Organizations history. Looking like a legit 90-100 point player.

PAY THE MAN! or trade him to speed up the process quicker?

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
It's almost shocking how Demko's Sav% hasn't eclipsed 0.920~ in his overall stats.
You'll think he is a pretty mediocre goalie if you knew nothing about him and just hockeydb his profile. He only has 2 reg season shutouts in his career as well.

Reactions: CanuckCity

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Retaining Miller is a priority...
Wave/waive goodbye to Brock. Horvat is a soldier but either way - I would be ok with assets instead... We'll see how the new regime sees it ...

Great win . .. on to NJ!

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Retaining Miller is a priority...
Wave/waive goodbye to Brock. Horvat is a soldier but either way - I would be ok with assets instead... We'll see how the new regime sees it ...

Great win . .. on to NJ!

I think it would be a brilliant time to trade Miller for a better future for the Canucks.

I trust Trader Jim not to rush the way Benning would. If we can get a contender to give up enough future (say a #1 pick, a good looking prospect, and a very good ELC defenseman) then we should take it. It will lower the cap danger we are in and put us in position when Demko, Hughes, and EP40 hit their prime.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I think it would be a brilliant time to trade Miller for a better future for the Canucks.

I trust Trader Jim not to rush the way Benning would. If we can get a contender to give up enough future (say a #1 pick, a good looking prospect, and a very good ELC defenseman) then we should take it. It will lower the cap danger we are in and put us in position when Demko, Hughes, and EP40 hit their prime.
Demko is in his prime now, peak even. Hughes is one of the best dmen in the league now, EP is better of late. Losing JT would be crippling, by the time things turn around, if they do at all, some of these guys contracts will be up. Same situation as Miller.

At some point the future needs to be now. JT will still be a top player for years. There's other ways to clear cap and bring in young roster players.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Demko and Pettersson are in their prime, with Hughes a couple years behind. We need to keep Miller and sell off Horvat and Boeser

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I know looking at the standings it might seem we haven't made up any ground but we actually have. A few weeks ago all the teams around us had a lot of games in hand on us but now we're pretty much even in the GP department

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
The Canucks looked really good in the 2nd, but I see this thread has become a "trade Miller" thread. Just my 2 cents...

Game: That was another good game for the team. That 2nd they dominated and the game was over, for all intents and purposes. Every team does what Vancouver did up 4-0 going into the 3rd, and even then it was a couple goals that gave the Rangers life. TB does not apologize for Vasilesky saving them and allowing them to score and get leads, neither should the Canucks. Montreal did not when it came to Price, certainly no team does when they get elite tending. Canucks are 5-1 their last 6. The fact people complain and want to tear the team down is f***ing stupid honestly.

Miller trade: You trade Horvat, not Miller, certainly not Boeser. Miller is versatile and can be used on the wing if need be, and wingers like Boeser do not grow on trees. Pearson, Horvat, Halak, Dickinson, waive Chiasson, yes trade for what you can. It is clear Horvat is not happy here, and the fact Miller is making a line with Pearson and Garland work speaks volumes, and is a testament that he should be kept. Boeser is at his best with Petey. Someone needs to convince Boudreau to put him back with Petey, trade for a legit 3rd line winger to play with the new 3rd line C and Hogz, who btw may need to be sent to the AHL to get his confidence back.

Defensively, 2 contracts that are almost untrade-able, but the stats don't lie over all... OEL and Myers make the Canucks better not worse. Schenn brings a toughness and stability you can't replace. THey should just bring up Rathbone and let the cards fall where they may. He has to be better than Hunt no? Or whoever on D they trade for can be slotted in as well. I would 100% if possible trade Hamonic.

The biggest thing though is Covid... while they made the bubble and showed what could've been, these last 2 years have been hell for the team. Even this season after the regime change, and the hot 10-0 start under BB, covid derails... but the team under BB has the 5th best record over that span. Their start killed them. I just don't think you give up on elite wingers, and I feel an off season with a Gary Roberts to work on his skating will do Boeser wonders.

Horvat is a Center a lot of teams would not only give up more assets for, but more importantly over pay cause of age and potential contract. He also, atm, looks like he isn't happy here. He looks uninterested many nights, and just goes through the motions. But that series vs. the Blues will carry a lot of weight, and teams looking for a legit #2A center that can potentially be a first when injuries happen are rare.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Demko is in his prime now, peak even. Hughes is one of the best dmen in the league now, EP is better of late. Losing JT would be crippling, by the time things turn around, if they do at all, some of these guys contracts will be up. Same situation as Miller.

At some point the future needs to be now. JT will still be a top player for years. There's other ways to clear cap and bring in young roster players.
While Miller's play is excellent (with a mix of bozo), that's not really the issue. The issue is Benning had gone all in to assemble a poor roster around a few good players. I don't see the Canucks winning a cup with this roster, as there are simply too many holes and poor contracts.

If the Canucks were in a win now timeline (as Benning committed to), then absolutely you keep Miller and do what you can to resign him.

I think the Canucks are better off looking at the reality of needing to shed a lot of poor contracts and underperforming players while shoring up the farm system. They need an influx of talent up and down the roster and thankfully, at least there are some players to build around. If one isn't pragmatic in evaluating this team, we're just going to be looking at first or second round exits followed by the need to start again from scratch in 5 years. Trading players like Miller and Boeser and you're looking at having a much better chance of contending for a cup in 5 years.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but the writing has been on the wall from about year three of the Benning era.

Reactions: pitseleh

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
While Miller's play is excellent (with a mix of bozo), that's not really the issue. The issue is Benning had gone all in to assemble a poor roster around a few good players. I don't see the Canucks winning a cup with this roster, as there are simply too many holes and poor contracts.

If the Canucks were in a win now timeline (as Benning committed to), then absolutely you keep Miller and do what you can to resign him.

I think the Canucks are better off looking at the reality of needing to shed a lot of poor contracts and underperforming players while shoring up the farm system. They need an influx of talent up and down the roster and thankfully, at least there are some players to build around. If one isn't pragmatic in evaluating this team, we're just going to be looking at first or second round exits followed by the need to start again from scratch in 5 years. Trading players like Miller and Boeser and you're looking at having a much better chance of contending for a cup in 5 years.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but the writing has been on the wall from about year three of the Benning era.
The goal should be to win over the next 5 years, not start then. In 5 years Demko's contract is up, and he's 30. Hughes is at the end of his contract. American players with potentially 1 playoff showing. They aren't likely to stick around. By trading our 1c, it's essentially saying bye to our 1D and star goalie as well. That's a lot to replace, would require lottery picks. Picks we aren't likely to get with those guys playing here.

Our President and coach are in their 70's. Likely to be retired.. or worse.. by then. Trying to open a window years from now is just a bunch of undrafted players, coached by who knows who, under a brass of god knows. Too many ???, id rather give the few great players we have a chance. Can't be waiting until we have a Tampa roster to attempt a push.

Reactions: wonton15

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I can appreciate this opinion and what you've written is valid. I get the logic behind making a push now due to how the roster has been assembled. I just don't think it's going to be productive of very much because there's too many problems.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest the window opens in five years, rather that's when the team, if course corrected, would stand the best chance at winning a cup, for all the reason you've stated (Demko's final season, etc)

From my perspective, the best chance to win is in year three, four and five, not in year 0, one and two.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think I am. Barring another absolute insane showing by Demko, this team would get stomped by any cup favorite. How does this roster improve without making changes? There's almost nothing to draw on from the farm system and we need to pay to get rid of the dreck on the roster.

Hey, I'm still reflexively pulling for the team to win every game, as its fun doing that, but it's difficult to ignore the futility of showing up for a gunfight loaded with blanks.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
The Canucks looked really good in the 2nd, but I see this thread has become a "trade Miller" thread. Just my 2 cents...

Game: That was another good game for the team. That 2nd they dominated and the game was over, for all intents and purposes. Every team does what Vancouver did up 4-0 going into the 3rd, and even then it was a couple goals that gave the Rangers life. TB does not apologize for Vasilesky saving them and allowing them to score and get leads, neither should the Canucks. Montreal did not when it came to Price, certainly no team does when they get elite tending. Canucks are 5-1 their last 6. The fact people complain and want to tear the team down is f***ing stupid honestly.

Miller trade: You trade Horvat, not Miller, certainly not Boeser. Miller is versatile and can be used on the wing if need be, and wingers like Boeser do not grow on trees. Pearson, Horvat, Halak, Dickinson, waive Chiasson, yes trade for what you can. It is clear Horvat is not happy here, and the fact Miller is making a line with Pearson and Garland work speaks volumes, and is a testament that he should be kept. Boeser is at his best with Petey. Someone needs to convince Boudreau to put him back with Petey, trade for a legit 3rd line winger to play with the new 3rd line C and Hogz, who btw may need to be sent to the AHL to get his confidence back.

Defensively, 2 contracts that are almost untrade-able, but the stats don't lie over all... OEL and Myers make the Canucks better not worse. Schenn brings a toughness and stability you can't replace. THey should just bring up Rathbone and let the cards fall where they may. He has to be better than Hunt no? Or whoever on D they trade for can be slotted in as well. I would 100% if possible trade Hamonic.

The biggest thing though is Covid... while they made the bubble and showed what could've been, these last 2 years have been hell for the team. Even this season after the regime change, and the hot 10-0 start under BB, covid derails... but the team under BB has the 5th best record over that span. Their start killed them. I just don't think you give up on elite wingers, and I feel an off season with a Gary Roberts to work on his skating will do Boeser wonders.

Horvat is a Center a lot of teams would not only give up more assets for, but more importantly over pay cause of age and potential contract. He also, atm, looks like he isn't happy here. He looks uninterested many nights, and just goes through the motions. But that series vs. the Blues will carry a lot of weight, and teams looking for a legit #2A center that can potentially be a first when injuries happen are rare.
Please tell me how you are so confident in stating this? Never have had that opinion.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Please tell me how you are so confident in stating this? Never have had that opinion.
There are more games than not where Horvat looks very uninterested, cannot drive offence, does not stand up for teammates... he looks very isolated from his teammates. I have even seen his after game celebrations toned down a lot. It is just my observation, so certainly conjecture or supposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad