Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Rangers - 3-2 (OT) (Miller x 2, Podkolzin)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think everyone thought you were talking about skating speed - inference being 'we need to be faster in our bottom 6'.

Of course his processing is a bit slower. He's a 4th line player if he had a cerebral game he'd be a top 6 fwd so not exactly sure what your issue with Bailey is.
All I said is his process isn’t fast. Chill.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Watched the game this morning and that 3rd period was electric. Miller & Pod goals gave the crowd a lot of life.
The team finally showed some emotion responding to Demko's incredible saves, leading to that o/t win.

This was the first time I felt the team and the fans connected emotionally. They deserved the win.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
All I said is his process isn’t fast. Chill.

Haha pretty chill here.

Maybe I'm mistaken but following the thread someone was saying (thought it was you) we need to swap Bailey for Petan or some combo to add speed to our bottom 6. I'm just pointing out this swap would do the exact opposite of what was wanted.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Was at the game, great crowd great cheering . Demko magical. Boys still played like crap for the 1st but found their legs in 3rd! Wooo lfg

I was there too, really fun game to watch the disappointment from seeing nothing from the power-play was real but both goalies really put on a show
Crowd was good I had a really good time I think I’ll definitely watch another one this year

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What an awesome game!

Demko, Garland, JT Miller really put the team on their shoulders for this must win game.

I thought Quinn Hughes had himself a great game, controlling the ice every time he was on the ice. Really seems to have shored up his defensive play and is now leading Canucks D men with a +6 rating.

Garland is such a wizard with the puck and has been our best forward so far this year.

Glad that JTM just put his head down and channelled his anger and emotion properly.

That 5 on 3 sequence by Demko was one of the best things I've seen in recent memory. The crowd just erupted, and you just know they wouldn't lose this one.

As a fan, this is all you want from your team. Work your butt off and refuse to stay down.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
it's also further proof that rogers arena doesn't have shitty crowds

like the stadium wants to be entertained and brought to life lol

I disagree. Rogers arena does have shitty crowds. Terrible at cheering the team on. Only loud when something super exciting happens. Compare them to many other crowds that are much better.

Reactions: B-rock

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I disagree. Rogers arena does have shitty crowds. Terrible at cheering the team on. Only loud when something super exciting happens. Compare them to many other crowds that are much better.
do you want to name the 20 cities in the nhl where they have constant cheering the team on when they're losing?

it's a genuine question

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
the stadium wants to be entertained and brought to life lol
Yep, gotta win the crowd.

It's been like this since Maximus was in diapers.

And centuries later, same shit.

yetnf6B.gif

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I just don’t understand how Green operates. He’s willing to punish Boeser from the top line and first powerplay, but Pearson constantly gets to ride in the top 6 despite producing little offense. Also Horvat and Hog worked well last year, why not put them back together with Boeser and shoot Pearson to a more defensive role if his offense is not there? Nope instead play Pearson more than Boeser because Green is an idiot.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think its because Boeser isnt a play driver and he isnt exactly a puck retrieval type of player as well. Like he is no doubt a top 6 forward in the league but, he doesnt really have a defined role on the PP as Miller is the play driver, Petey is the 1t threat and Bo is the bumper guy. If you had to put him anywhere it would be in the bumper role but, then you dont have your best faceoff guy on your top PP unit

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think its because Boeser isnt a play driver and he isnt exactly a puck retrieval type of player as well. Like he is no doubt a top 6 forward in the league but, he doesnt really have a defined role on the PP as Miller is the play driver, Petey is the 1t threat and Bo is the bumper guy. If you had to put him anywhere it would be in the bumper role but, then you dont have your best faceoff guy on your top PP unit

Boeser is a 1timer threat on the opposite of pettersson which is much better threat than Miller on his offside. He literally had success in that role his first two seasons

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching the Canucks last night, you begin to understand that 'run and gun' is only way this team knows how to play. The coach seems satisfied with 'trading chances' against the opponent, hoping that Demko can make one more big save than the guy at the other end.

You have to say it's as entertaining as hell.....but in terms of the playoffs, it really doesn't get you anywhere. Really good teams will just lock it down, and wait for the Canucks to commit a defensive brain-cramp. And they're guaranteed to oblige.

It'll take a new coach at least a couple of seasons to turn this group into a a defensively-aware team. The Green 'system' is just that ingrained now.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Watching the Canucks last night, you begin to understand that 'run and gun' is only way this team knows how to play. The coach seems satisfied with 'trading chances' against the opponent, hoping that Demko can make one more big save than the guy at the other end.

You have to say it's as entertaining as hell.....but in terms of the playoffs, it really doesn't get you anywhere. Really good teams will just lock it down, and wait for the Canucks to commit a defensive brain-cramp. And they're guaranteed to oblige.

It'll take a new coach at least a couple of seasons to turn this group into a a defensively-aware team. The Green 'system' is just that ingrained now.

Maybe, but I would love to find out. The last time in playoffs they did well. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go to the games. I just want them to make it, I think with Demko they will win a game or two against any Western Team.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Maybe, but I would love to find out. The last time in playoffs they did well. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go to the games. I just want them to make it, I think with Demko they will win a game or two against any Western Team.
Did well? We were smothered by Vegas while having a squad with 7mil over the cap and 4 month break to heal. Did i mention Wild were sellers at the deadline and Blues had covid ? We " ran and gunned" in our own zone for like 80% the time. Context always matters. You are one of the fans who were fooled by the bubble. Those are special circumstances that will never happen again in our life time.

Reactions: mossey3535

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

Yup thats exactly how I feel. Whens the last time we had a 60 minute performance and limited the other team to a few chances?

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Not really..they're trying to implement a more defensive system..buts it's not working because ......... a) the Canucks top players are rusty and underachieving ....and b ) the special teams are sucking wind.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I would prefer a run n gun where Demko needs to stop breakaways, over a collapse and pray, inevitably leading to a close loss alla Vegas series.

Or, ya know, something that leads to goals and good defense..

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The Canucks are currently 11th in the league in goal against (average). That's including the 9 power play goals they've given up in only 10 games, so in 5 on 5 they would probly be a top 5 defensive team. If their pk was even just average , that's a couple less goals against, and their power play is what it should be given the talent, that's a few more goals for, which would translate into probly 2 more wins. Gotta get those special teams in order.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I would prefer a run n gun where Demko needs to stop breakaways, over a collapse and pray, inevitably leading to a close loss alla Vegas series.

Or, ya know, something that leads to goals and good defense..
Vegas did not let us play that way. You have to factor in the other team. Going run and gun vs skilled and fast team with our team full of slow-average speed players would be catastrophic. You want to run and gun vs Avs or Mcjesus? It's better to lose 2-1 than 7-4 or 7-3. We don't want to ruin(injure) Demko like we did Clouthier. We can run and gun vs teams with low offence but play a more conservative games vs teams with high end offensive players.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Yup thats exactly how I feel. Whens the last time we had a 60 minute performance and limited the other team to a few chances?
We amazingly out chanced the Rangers. Only the second time we did that this season with the other being detroit who let us run away with the chances in the 3rd.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Weird

I'd call this is exact opposite of run and gun which is mentioned in here.
Their entire top line was outplayed significantly 5v5
This is one of the few games Fox got manhandled 5v5
HD scoring chances 10-3 for Vancouver
Top line for van did well in driving play

if you do that over chunks of games with bad games in between, that is 100X more sustainable
trusting that to happen with green consistently is a different story

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Did well? We were smothered by Vegas while having a squad with 7mil over the cap and 4 month break to heal. Did i mention Wild were sellers at the deadline and Blues had covid ? We " ran and gunned" in our own zone for like 80% the time. Context always matters. You are one of the fans who were fooled by the bubble. Those are special circumstances that will never happen again in our life time.
They won two rounds and went to game 7 tied with 10 minutes to go. Minny was playing well going into playoffs and Stl was same team who won cup year earlier. Vegas was a cup favorite. I think you are one of those fans who were fooled but team getting outplayed last few games vs Vegas and assuming they got outplayed throughout. It was a very good run for team.

My point was I hope team makes playoffs and no one knows how they would do. I would be optimistic that they would be competitive. It would not be 85-86 Canucks vs the Oilers. Every playoff team is a competitive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad