Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Rangers - 3-2 (OT) (Miller x 2, Podkolzin)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's pretty easy.

Vancouver is going nowhere with Pearson and Chiasson in the top-9, and with Podkolzin getting 7-8 minutes per game.

Boeser-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Garland-Horvat-Miller

*******-********-Hoglander

Pearson-Dickinson-********
I think Pearson could and should be the 3LW.

last season Hoglander/Horvat/Boeser was the teams most successful line albeit in a small weird sample. I’d run that as the top line.

Then I’d just have Garland move up with Miller and Pettersson.

Pearson and Pod could be a duo as well. Just not keen on the C options but to me that’s the way to go. Have your 6 best offensive forwards playing together.

Pearson has not been one of the teams best players. He’s outscoring his expected levels and getting lucky at the other end. He’s been decent. Bo is a better away from him.

Also @biturbo19 post more often. You’re an asset to this forum and your analysis is appreciated.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Don't know about the analytics, but the kid kept the ozone so many times with mini pinches and moving the puck to the right places... he played well tonight... Very safe... And then... The Save, before The Save.
The kid? 28 year old journeyman is a kid now?

lol

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
For the love of god can Green please separate Pearson from Horvat. We’ve seen so many different line combinations this year yet Pearson is still stapled to Horvat.

Yeah.. Horvat is next on the list of disappointing players.. Pearson has been his consistent self.. earning himself scoring chances. Hoglander skated well tonight, but still couldn't put anything significant on net.. delegated the puck well tho...

Might almost be time to try Petty at wing... Put him with Horvat - let em figure themselves out. Move Pearson with Miller and Garland.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The lack of quickness on the 4th line really bothered me, with the injuries to Highmore and Dowling the bottom 6 is getting beat to loose pucks and do not move the puck quickly. I’d replace Bailey and Chaisson with Di Giuseppe and Petan.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The lack of quickness on the 4th line really bothered me, with the injuries to Highmore and Dowling the bottom 6 is getting beat to loose pucks and do not move the puck quickly. I’d replace Bailey and Chaisson with Di Giuseppe and Petan.
Bailey is an elite quick skater. He drew 2 penalties and looked good on pk . Chaisson is not no an elite or even average skater.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Garland had one hell of a game. Those two set ups on the first two goals were as good as it gets. If we can ever get the Lotto Line and Horvat playing well at the same time then the team could go on a roll with Demko in net and the D playing better than expected. I never thought the offense would end up being the issue but so far it has been.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watching Garland this season, brings me back memories of watching Burrows between 2008-2010. Same level of tenacity, but potentially a better playmaker with faster wheels. There's no doubt Garland can really thrive if he has the line mates to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. EP better get his head out of his ass...He wants to win, and certainly has a few linemates (Hoglander, Garland) that can help him.

Reactions: DFAC and Indiana

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Th Miller OT goal gave me flashbacks to that one goal against Boston in the SCF. Can’t remember if it was Torres or Lapierre or Burrows

Yeah was at that game. The part I liked best was that thousands still hadn't gotten to their seats and didn't see it. Always hate having to get up qo times for idiots returning late for the start of the period, and miss what's going on on the ice. One of Burrows biggest goals.

And I didn't think the Canucks were that bad yesterday. Yes Demko stood on his head, and damn were they lucky on that 5 on 3. But they also had something like 3 posts and crossbars. Thought for the most pat the game was even. And they need to improve their power play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So far this season, you'd have to say that OEL and Garland have been two of the Canucks' best players. Although it might look different down the road, you'd have to say that this trade is coming up aces for the Canucks.

Just a thought.....why don't they try Podkolzin as the net-front presence on the PP instead of Chiasson?:....I mean how could things be going any worse? Unfortunately when the Canucks get six or seven PP opportunities, Podkolzin's ice time really gets chopped.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Games like this are hard to process. On one hand, it's actually reaffirming to my faith in most of this core. I don't want to oversell it, but there is enough fight and character buried in there that makes me think there is still a foundation that could become something special. It just doesn't come out nearly as often as it should. Which brings me to the other hand, which is the supporting makeup of the team and above all coaching. We're not getting the most of what we have and I have no faith that would change if the supporting cast gradually improved. This core isn't going anywhere with that dichotomy, no matter how many times Demko and Co saves the collective asses of the coaching staff. I don't know how I as a Canucks fan am supposed to get revved up for games knowing 40 minutes at least are going to be like last night.

Reactions: geebaan and Indiana

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So far this season, you'd have to say that OEL and Garland have been two of the Canucks' best players. Although it might look different down the road, you'd have to say that this trade is coming up aces for the Canucks.

Just a thought.....why don't they try Podkolzin as the net-front presence on the PP instead of Chiasson?:....I mean how could things be going any worse? Unfortunately when the Canucks get six or seven PP opportunities, Podkolzin's ice time really gets chopped.
Excluding the goalie.

Including the goalie:
Demko

OEL/Garland
everyone else (mind you, Pod would be up higher if the coach would actually let him play meaningful minutes)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
- Good move by Green to put Garland on the Lotto line..The combined compete level by Miller and Garland was a treat to watch..Miller/EP/ Garland would have to be a thing next game....Boeser was a half step behind, and clumsy with the puck last night, not one of his better games.

- Podz was taking it upon himself to lay the body a bit last night..Lafreniere took exception, and thought he would teach Podz a lesson, and clothes lined him to the ice..Podz gets right up and beelines straight to the net..and scores....That was Lafreniers check, and he wore the goat horns on that goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator and Indiana

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Games like this are hard to process. On one hand, it's actually reaffirming to my faith in most of this core. I don't want to oversell it, but there is enough fight and character buried in there that makes me think there is still a foundation that could become something special. It just doesn't come out nearly as often as it should. Which brings me to the other hand, which is the supporting makeup of the team and above all coaching. We're not getting the most of what we have and I have no faith that would change if the supporting cast gradually improved. This core isn't going anywhere with that dichotomy, no matter how many times Demko and Co saves the collective asses of the coaching staff. I don't know how I as a Canucks fan am supposed to get revved up for games knowing 40 minutes at least are going to be like last night.

There are some really good pieces. The biggest thing that's holding the team back is the stalled development of Pettersson and Horvat. They're both skilled players but they don't handle match ups well at all. I don't see this team contending until those guys grow into solid 2-way players. I think it will take a different coaching staff to make that happen, and I doubt it happens overnight. Hopefully we start to see flashes of that growth before this season is over, but it looks like more of a long term project to me.

Reactions: Indiana

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Kakko is usually better, he’s coming off injury. But quite frankly, the kids don’t get any power play time and they’re not working well on the lines they’re on

Okay now discuss Lafreniere. Watched a few Rangers games and the guy looks like a grinder. Really underwhelming for a #1 OA...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad