Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers - 5-2 (Horvat x2, Miller x2, Mikheyev)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wouldn't surprise me if this game got scrubbed at the last minute......chaos is reigning at YVR and there are dangerous wind-chills on tap for Edmonton.

But if it happens, look for McDavid and Draisaitl to have their way with this Canucks defense. Despite their improbably win against the Kraken last night, who basically gifted the Canucks the game, that might have been one of the worst performances I've seen from a Canuck blueline all season. I mean almost everybody struggled in their own zone--including Hughes.

It's hard to understand how a team can be so bad defensively through 30 games. You'd think that the individual players would be embarrassed enough to turn it around. But apparently it's not to be this season.

Reactions: Love

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Chris Gear on Twitter is basically saying ownership thought they had a 3 year contention window when Petey was signed. Basically confirms Aqua was salivating and convinced at Benning’s vision which allowed him to further destroy this team with the OEL/Garland moves. That is absolutely hilarious I’m laughing my ass off.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if this game got scrubbed at the last minute......chaos is reigning at YVR and there are dangerous wind-chills on tap for Edmonton.

But if it happens, look for McDavid and Draisaitl to have their way with this Canucks defense. Despite their improbably win against the Kraken last night, who basically gifted the Canucks the game, that might have been one of the worst performances I've seen from a Canuck blueline all season. I mean almost everybody struggled in their own zone--including Hughes.

It's hard to understand how a team can be so bad defensively through 30 games. You'd think that the individual players would be embarrassed enough to turn it around. But apparently it's not to be this season.
Canucks are probably already in Edmonton (I would think they would have flown in last night after the game)..

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Waiting for the first shift when McDavid bears down on either Myers or OEL....it'll look like a dog dancing around a pair of fire hydrants.

Canucks better stay out of the box.....Oilers with the top-ranked PP in the NHL against the league's worst PK.

• Haha
Reactions: quat

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Chris Gear on Twitter is basically saying ownership thought they had a 3 year contention window when Petey was signed. Basically confirms Aqua was salivating and convinced at Benning’s vision which allowed him to further destroy this team with the OEL/Garland moves. That is absolutely hilarious I’m laughing my ass off.

Arghhhh. If they have just rebuilt rather than constantly trying to compete. They thought 2019 let's start trading 1st. 2020, let's go for it and let prime assets leave as UFAs it's what contenders do. 2022/23 should have been the year they aimed to breakout,

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Don't know how much energy they'll have for tonight's game (Petey in particular), but let's hope they can limit the damage to the usual 5 goals against. McDrai should have a field day tonight against a tired goalie. Ho Ho Ho

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Jim Benning is a dolt, guy can’t manage the cap nor manage his weight.

Reactions: wonton15

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Easy money on the Oilers. Canucks are lazy and will be tired, McDavid is literally going to skate circles around the Canucks' D. Expect lots of lazy penalties from Van, and we all know about the historically bad PK. Guaranteed unchecked Drai 1-timer goal from the right side on the PP.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agreed he had an off night. Looked rushed in his own end.
giphy.gif

I just wanted to post this gif (no other special reason why I posted this :laugh:).

Reactions: mathonwy

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

At no point of Jim Benning running the team did he have any sort of grasp on what the team truly was or what it really needed. Amazing to be that wrong consistently.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
giphy.gif

I just wanted to post this gif (no other special reason why I posted this :laugh:).
Planes, Trains & Autos is a Christmas fave in my family, even if it is about Thanksgiving. John Candy & Steve Martin are comedy gold. I always look for that scene in the airport lounge where Candy is shown reading a book called the Canadian Mounted. :laugh:

Reactions: Hit the post

Love

Feb 29, 2012

I was vocal about wanting to lock up Petey at 9x8. But at the same tome, if we lock him up for 8 years now then we have him until age 34. This avoids a Miller like contract with Petey because we’re signing him to an 8 year contract at age 26 instead of at age 30. Petey will never be the guy still on the payroll as an anchor for the franchise at age 38-39. Anyway the point is there are pros and cons. If we were competitive now, then yes it would be a massive error. But the truth is our competitive window is probably more suited to the bridge deal for Petey and the long term deal at 26. In other words, from now until Petey is 34 is our competitive window instead of from when Petey was 22-30.

And if the Barzal as a comparable rumours end up being true then it’s even better because then we get him at $9 mil aav anyway although I find that hard to believe.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm curious. Based on what?

Purely just my visuals of him in camp, Abbotsford and his brief spell with the big club. He’s small in his net, over slides and over commits a ton (like even more than Martin, who is already very aggressive).

He’s a likeable veteran who could probably pull the odd good performance out - but I think his game is demonstrably behind Martin’s at this point.

Martin is miscast big time right now being asked to carry the starter’s load. He’s giving it his all, but the more you play him, the more some warts show.

Still providing excellent value for his acquisition cost / role, though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Was only a year ago that there was a contentious post here about the potential of trading Pettersson....If he would have been signed to a long term deal, the fanbase would have been shitting themselves this time last year.

The story changes this season..Anyway, at least he's back to being the Elite Pete, which is the most important thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad