Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets | 5-0 (Miller, Hoglander, Pettersson, Di Giuseppe, Suter) | Shot Down in Flames

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Recent games Vs playoff teams
La - win
Vegas - win
Jets - win

Avs, you're next!
1710087819071.gif

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Jets looked awful. They couldn't get anything going and the few times they did Demko bailed us out again. Desmith made some good saves but The Peg was exhausted by then.

I wasn't aware two goalies can get a shut out in the same game. It makes some sense if no goalies get a shutout in a 1-0 loss and two played (I guess). Who gets the win makes more sense with goal differential.

They played Brossoit the night before in Seattle. Hellebuyck didn't look great. He used his size to cover holes in position and that's it. They billed it as a battle between Vezina candidates before the game so that was hilarious. I doubt Thomas doesn't get it but he got schooled by the two on the other side and showed how much he relies on the D in front of him.

And you know what, this is the third time the Canucks have beaten a large goalie this way in the last few games - Vegas and LA ran into the same thing where theirs did have the agility or athleticism to improvise or use their reflexes and relied on the skaters to clear the puck in front of them. Instead the Canucks were able to pick their targets when they had the room.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Great game.

Showed everybody what the Jets are. A mediocore group of players carried by a fantastic goalie and a terribly boring yet effective system.

Can’t wait till I’m back at work tmro. Have many bets to collect on.

Reactions: Indiana

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
jsut finished it. very outspoken his fashion game is on point. very classy plus he handles the music in the lockerroom
Really impressed with him in general in the interview. Clearly not afraid to be candid, speak his mind, and say what he has to say - be it about someone's shoes or Russia's war on Ukraine - but also has enough humility to acknowledge that he doesn't know everything, and generally shows a lot of respect throughout for others, for the occasion, and for the game.

I love that players are being encouraged to show their personalities more these days, and really do enjoy some of the de-seriousification of the NHL, but it's also really refreshing when that personality isn't just like adult-fifteen-year-old-given-a-million-dollars-and-told-they're-the-main-character-their-whole-life. It's also kind of funny to see Scott Oake play the "I'm hip too! that griddy was on fleek!" routine and have the guy just kind of brush it off.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Ricky Bowness said that was the worst game the Jets have played in 2 years.... did they look that bad?

Or are we just good

• Haha
Reactions: David71

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good for him. It takes guts. The friend who buys my hockey tickets and I are in a bit of a battle right now. I am advocating for Nato to tell Russia that they are going to make the Ukraine a full member in about 6 months. Before the next winter, and before there is any chance of the tangerine turd being elected and kneeing down to Putin. He says "but tactical nukes". My response - so the west should have just walked away when Hitler went into Poland? This prick needs to be dealt with, and avoiding the confrontation is just what the asshole wants.

I went on this rant on Facebook, got a few interesting responses. I want Putin dealt with, whatever the cost. The Ukraine should not have to stand alone.

Edit - ok just listened to the interview. I want this guy back. What a class act. He could be more valuable to the team than Hronek, and thats saying a bit. (And I was unhappy with the Hronek trade, and I was dead wrong. He has been worth what we paid. I hope we can afford to re-sign him.)

Not to take this on an even wider detour, but just wanted to note that referring to Ukraine as "the Ukraine" is inadvertantly adopting the way that Russians refer to it as a region rather than a sovereign country.

This is obviously not what you mean to do, and I know old habits die hard, but I think the general guideline is: Ukraine is a country, while The Ukraine is a region of Russia. Was taught Soviet history by a Ukrainian who very passionately hammered this into our heads.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A good and needed win
But
Lets not take too much out of it.

A very tired Winnipeg team dominated some parts of the game for short periods of time manhandling some of the smaller roster and even some of the larger players on the team.

Vancouver overwhelmed them for the most part.

Demko. Injured or ill? Miller also didn't seem up to par either and there are teams having illness running through them. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that TO, Florida, Tampa and others had players missing games due to illness.

Myers will make this group even better. He skates great and has an above average "first pass" he just isn't credited enough for. I do wonder what his injury is/was though.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Really impressed with him in general in the interview. Clearly not afraid to be candid, speak his mind, and say what he has to say - be it about someone's shoes or Russia's war on Ukraine - but also has enough humility to acknowledge that he doesn't know everything, and generally shows a lot of respect throughout for others, for the occasion, and for the game.

I love that players are being encouraged to show their personalities more these days, and really do enjoy some of the de-seriousification of the NHL, but it's also really refreshing when that personality isn't just like adult-fifteen-year-old-given-a-million-dollars-and-told-they're-the-main-character-their-whole-life. It's also kind of funny to see Scott Oake play the "I'm hip too! that griddy was on fleek!" routine and have the guy just kind of brush it off.
It's the way The British used it during The Crimean War. Slavic languages don't use articles from the little Russian I took (possible a holdover from Proto-Indo-European) but the British often did like calling other places "The Japans" or "The Sandwich Isles". Oddly, The British have dropped some articles like saying someone is In Hospital instead of In The Hospital like we do mostly on this side of The Pond.

Ukraine asked the UN to call it Ukraine and drop the The when speaking of it in other languages due to the sovereignty issue. Lately I've also heard the media calling it Crimea instead of The Crimean Peninsula even though that's accurate. Simply, it's most likely the media picked up the local translator's use instead of picking up a book and reading the history of the region.

What I can't stand is the media calling it Keve instead of Keyev, regardless of how it's pronounced in Ukrainian because that's how it's pronounced in English. We don't call it Me-hico. And we don't say Iri-koiz, Ill-inoiz, Bell-zheek, Doicha, Bharat, and especially we (Canadians) don't call them Huj-en-naughts, though many people do.

I would also like people to quit trash talking Myers because he's not here right now . Its time Lindholm's time to shine and we should focus on him for the time being now that Petterson's contract is finished and he's scored a couple of goals now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Indiana and jd22

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great game.

Showed everybody what the Jets are. A mediocore group of players carried by a fantastic goalie and a terribly boring yet effective system.

Every team has stinkers (no-shows)..even the Canucks...Judging a teams overall performance on a single game is foolish..After the previous game against the Jets at Rogers, you could literally have called the Canucks frauds, the Jets were the superior team on the night.

Jets are 7-3-0 in their last ten games, (shutout the Kraken on Friday night) and have three games in hand on the Canucks..They're keeping pace.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The fees aren’t where the money is, $20 million to these people is like $500 to me and you. It’s with merch, concessions, gate revenue, etc. Which are HRR.A
You can increase the size of the HRR pie by adding a franchise but you are dividing the pie into more pieces because you also added a roster’s worth of players.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Great game.

My point was Hellybuck played terrible last night. He had the previous night off but let 5 goals in showing he needed the team in front of him to clear the rebounds and prevent the shots from getting through.
At best he used his size to maintain his position and made some key poke checks. But as Hrudy pointed out, its a simple matter to scout a goalie whose tendencies are to poke check then throw the puck at his feet. This was then pointed out in the Play by Play when they noted Garland started doing that in the next period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Keep that third line intact and reunite Bluegard with Joshua on a fourth to see if they can rekindle some magic without Garland.

1710098082985.png

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
A good and needed win
But

A very tired Winnipeg team dominated some parts of the game for short periods of time manhandling some of the smaller roster and even some of the larger players on the team.

Demko. Injured or ill? Miller also didn't seem up to par either and there are teams having illness running through them. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that TO, Florida, Tampa and others had players missing games due to illness.

Myers will make this group even better. He skates great and has an above average "first pass" he just isn't credited enough for. I do wonder what his injury is/was though.

Neck strain ...

Reactions: andora

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Do you actually watch the games? Winnipeg dominated none of that game and Miller has played great lately.
Actually PVR'd it.
Did YOU watch Barron? Lowry in the Canucks zone?

Miller has played great LATELY but last night he wasn't so good, he sagged during the game, hence my hint at illness.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A good and needed win
But

#fakenews.

I'm sure that Rick Bowness would disagree with you..A clunker for the Jets, from start to finish.

Reactions: theguardianII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad