Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets | 5-0 (Miller, Hoglander, Pettersson, Di Giuseppe, Suter) | Shot Down in Flames

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Loved that Zadorov interview with Tomlinson and Oake.....what a leader, on and off the ice! How does Allvin not break the bank to bring him back?

And to think Allvin nabbed him out of Calgary for a fifth rounder in 2024 and a third rounder that doesn't kick in until 2026. Highway robbery.

The scary thing for the rest of the league is that Zadorov feels he's just scratching the surface of his potential. And working with guys like Foote and Gonchar will make him even better.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sure they've played a more complete game all season. Guess you could make a case for some of the games in New York and Jets did look bagged tonite. Even a great player like Morrisey looked bad.

Good

Hughes - took the game over early and then cruised through the rest. Having one of the best season any Canuck has ever had. Up to a + 36 on the season

Pettersson - scored and played excellent defensively. Rounding into a very good two way player. Been a process but certainly getting there

Soucy - very sound in his end and smart in his offensive play. Gives you the same type of play every time out which makes him what Tocchet wants - predictability. Played well with Cole who was also excellent in this game

Zadorov - made the one bad back pass that led to a Jets best shift of the game but otherwise very good with his reach at the blue line and stepped when he needed to physically.

DiGuiseppe - putting together one good game after another. Fourth line smothered Jets on most shifts and produced some offense. Question might be - where do you put Blueger (also good) when Joshua returns.

Hoglander - now a 20 goal scorer at the NHL level. What's his ceiling?

Garland - another good game. Should have put away the chance but the PP is looking better with him out there. One of the funniest comments by color guy was "Garland could stickhandle on a manhole cover". Probably true.

Mikheyev - some poster made a comment about Mikheyev earlier poor play being a result of the knee injury last year. Said it might well take a season and half to overcome that. Whoever said that might well be right. This is not the same player we've seen through much of the season. His speed is making the Miller line and an increased threat. Now if he would only start putting away chances. Nice if you could somehow have combined Mikheyev's skating with Kuzmenko touch. Talking top end type player if you could.

Demko - when he was in was outstanding. Just praying the injury is minor. Do wonder who they bring up??? (likely Silvos) Don't think they should use Demko as a back up.

Only player I thought struggled a bit was Hronek who seemed to be nursing his way through the game. Be nice if they could give this player a rest. Like to see McWard given a look.

Three goals allowed in 4 games is top end stuff and both players and coaches deserve kudos for this.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
@orcatown

I believe that was myself, based on the timeline that Stamkos said it took for him to feel normal after a similar injury. He said after the surgery he had to adjust his stride IIRC.

I think that’s like 50% of it, the other was clearly the dude wasn’t good between the ears. Losing your best weapon sucks.

E: since about the new year Hronek has been prone to thoughtless mistakes, he goes inattentive for half a second and that’s all it takes to complete f*** him up. I think he’s being used too much.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
wtf they gave Petey and Hogs no assists for the 5th goal... it's in the boxscore as Suter unassisted.

Reactions: quat

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I’d be A-OK signing Zadorov to a decent deal if we get rid of Cole/Myers. This guys a beauty

Firstly good on DT for Ting up that joke and being self deprecating… I hate big ego media…

And B, I would put my life savings on the fact the Canucks can get rid of Cole and Myres… on account of their contract status.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Quinn Hughes looks like he had an iron lung growing up and skates like Cindy Klassen.

Mark my words, he will be considered the best Canuck if he signs another multi year deal.
Iono I checked on ESPN and they say Seth Jones is better

wtf they gave Petey and Hogs no assists for the 5th goal... it's in the boxscore as Suter unassisted.
Thats absurd, rebounds dont stop it from being an assist. Otherwise Hughes' assist on the first goal wouldnt be an assist since that was a shot that rebounded to Hoglander. Hopefully they add those points back >.>

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Good to see Di Giuseppe ramping up and Lafferty playing like he can again. Podkolzin is a damn good injection for us.

I wonder what happens when Joshua comes back. The lines could be like

Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Suter
Joshua Blueger Garland
Podkolzin Lindholm Lafferty
PDG

Imagine having the luxury to run those 4 centers. We’re deeper than we think

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Credit where credit is due, a lot of guys have turned their game (and effort level) around since the skid, but the bottom six has recently looked way better, Podkolzin has been solid, and the PDG/Blueger/Lafferty line has been much improved and that helps a ton.

Major credit to Soucy who seems to stabilize a lot on the back-end and makes everyone he plays with better due to his intelligent reads with the puck and ability to get out of trouble and move it up ice.

Combine that with a bit better puck luck and some improvement in the top six and they look great again. Have to say I was skeptical they'd find the chemistry again with the uneven play lately and some mixing of the lines, but they've found some good combos the last few games.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Amazing game by pretty much every Canuck, soured by Demko leaving in the 2nd.

Hronek seemed a bit off and the Garland, Lindholm, Podz line was still less than a sum of its parts.

This was one of my main worries for Demko and the entire team this year. Can he stay healthy with the work load the Canucks will ask from him. Lets hope its a week and he is back type of deal.

Being forced to rest him before the playoffs might be a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: quat and Indiana

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Good to see Di Giuseppe ramping up and Lafferty playing like he can again. Podkolzin is a damn good injection for us.

I wonder what happens when Joshua comes back. The lines could be like

Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Suter
Joshua Blueger Garland
Podkolzin Lindholm Lafferty
PDG

Imagine having the luxury to run those 4 centers. We’re deeper than we think
Everything about Bluegar screams 4th line.

I would keep PDG in.

Reactions: Indiana and Wisp

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Mikheyev - some poster made a comment about Mikheyev earlier poor play being a result of the knee injury last year. Said it might well take a season and half to overcome that. Whoever said that might well be right. This is not the same player we've seen through much of the season. His speed is making the Miller line and an increased threat. Now if he would only start putting away chances. Nice if you could somehow have combined Mikheyev's skating with Kuzmenko touch. Talking top end type player if you could.
Might have been me? So the recovery scale for ACL repair surgery is well known. North American doctors say 6-12 months to return to sport, while European doctors say it might be closer to 18 to 24 months for an athlete to fully recover. So, we're at 13 months now since his surgery.

While he's looked better, Mikheyev at his best is a break away machine. Just looking at the schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more zip during this home stand, where there's less games and travel.

Honestly, it's a shame they didn't shut him down for the surgery much sooner, as it'd be paying dividends now.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Loved that Zadorov interview with Tomlinson and Oake.....what a leader, on and off the ice! How does Allvin not break the bank to bring him back?

And to think Allvin nabbed him out of Calgary for a fifth rounder in 2024 and a third rounder that doesn't kick in until 2026. Highway robbery.

The scary thing for the rest of the league is that Zadorov feels he's just scratching the surface of his potential. And working with guys like Foote and Gonchar will make him even better.

According to this ONE Calgary fan, they won the trade because they clear cap space.

Yeah, thanks for the Russian fridge. Enjoy the pack of magic beans we sent you lol.

Didn't watch the game because I was at work, watched bits and pieces of it when I was caring for my patient. Team looks good, REAL GUD.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Might have been me? So the recovery scale for ACL repair surgery is well known. North American doctors say 6-12 months to return to sport, while European doctors say it might be closer to 18 to 24 months for an athlete to fully recover. So, we're at 13 months now since his surgery.

While he's looked better, Mikheyev at his best is a break away machine. Just looking at the schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more zip during this home stand, where there's less games and travel.

Honestly, it's a shame they didn't shut him down for the surgery much sooner, as it'd be paying dividends now.
I also might have mentioned it once or twice. :sarcasm:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
^ everyone forgetting the flat cap era is (nearly) done.

Let’s do our best to forget about it, it was weird watching very good players leave for peanuts because they were overpaid by like a million.
This is a great point.

Will take me a while to unlearn the infuriating way we have had to evaluate players under the flat cap.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad