Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 3-2 (Horvat, Petan, Pearson)

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Green seems dead set on Pearson-Bo-Hog line. Getting nervous he might misuse Garland as a 3rd liner if Miller is with Petey-Brock. That or he plays his offwing with Petey-Brock. Would like to see him try Dickenson-Miller-Garland. The forward group doesn't look as deep now with the injuries and Pod looking lost.

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
I think Podkolzin - Dickinson - Garland could be a good third line, IMO we should give Pod 5 or so regular-season games to adjust and then re-assess whether or not he should be in the AHL/NHL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wonder if Motte likes caesars.

I hope so because I want the scenario where someone goes into the locker room and asks “who’s Clamato is is this?”

And someone replies: “ that’s Motte’s Clamato”.
His nickname literally is the Clamato Man...

probably

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think Podkolzin - Dickinson - Garland could be a good third line, IMO we should give Pod 5 or so regular-season games to adjust and then re-assess whether or not he should be in the AHL/NHL.

Again not in favor of these idea's to stick garland as a 3rd liner, should be pearson.

Reactions: Jimnastic

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lackluster even for pre-season game. So many misplaced passes by both teams and mostly a scramble in every zone

Hoglander - Horvat - Pearson looked good together and probably stays a unit heading into the season. Playing with Horvath has revived Pearson's career and if can keep up this kind of play he is worth his salary and in the top 6 on this team.

Halak made a good showing and while it's early should be better than Holtby was

OEL was fine although not as good as the other night. Poolman had his issues and will, by the look of this game, be prone to some pretty bad errors. Not a strong skater and will need to keep it very simple.

Rathbone is solidly on the team. His ability to get around the ice was again impressive and this allows him to be decent positionally. Will make mistakes but seems like a player that can bounce back quickly and not dwell on them. Trying to make plays that aren't there at times but often, to get better, you have to try things presently beyond your capacity. Biggest issue this season will him not being outmuscled around his net. Canucks are going to have to live with some hiccups this season out of Rathbone but this player has excellent upside.

Petan was again poor 5 on 5 and couldn't cover in his own zone. Also too much stop and go hockey leading to turnovers and lost opportunities. Scored but, he is ill-suited to a 4th line role. Dowling did a much better job of supporting the play and maintaining defensive positioning. Showing more speed than expected and good range in his play. If it comes down to these players, Dowling is the better choice for bottom six.

Hunt - showed again his ability to break up plays in mid ice and create offensive chances. Has good vision and usually spots the best man for a pass. However, big trouble deep in his end and you get the feeling he'll give up many chances when forced around his net.

Some players who couldn't raise their games and should be cut include: Bowey (gap control is very bad - totally backed off on everything and ends up playing shifts along his end boards a lot of the time), Focht (couldn't maintain himself in the play - showed no growth in his game this pre-season) , Petan (has had enough of a look and it isn't there - shouldn't waste any more pre-season on him)

Others you are still on the fence.

Lockwood - has not turned his skating into anything beyond ability to get to the body. Teams will retaliate and you wonder how long he can survive that. Looks like he may end up a NHL- AHL tweener. Yet can still have hope this player will develop.

Podkolzin - based on his play he is a cut. Needs more speed from the blue line to the net. Just too tentative and needs to make a better second effort. However, given background, you need to extend some rope here.

Guiseppe - has shown nothing special but may not hurt you on the 4th line. Replacement level player who lacks any offensive upside.

Burroghs - serviceable in a pinch but he looks definitely minor league material. If Canucks end up playing him, it reveals serious problems on their backend

Certain holes on the team are becoming evident and especially on defense the team will need to look to the waiver wire for help.

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Rathbone is solidly on the team. His ability to get around the ice was again impressive and this allows him to be decent positionally. Will make mistakes but seems like a player that can bounce back quickly and not dwell on them. Trying to make plays that aren't there at times but often, to get better, you have to try things presently beyond your capacity. Biggest issue this season will him not being outmuscled around his net. Canucks are going to have to live with some hiccups this season out of Rathbone but this player has excellent upside.

Rathbone will be sent to the AHL for a couple of reason. He doesnt need waivers, He wont be getting big minutes this season, he will definitely not see a lot of PP time, he doesnt PK, and he has looked like he would benefit playing 20+ minutes a night in the AHL getting PP1 and Pking time to improve his game opposed to thr 15-18 minutes he would get in the NHL .

I think too many people are only forcusing on his potential and not the role that he will need to play as a 3rd pairing LD this season. Juolevi and Hunt are more then capable of filling that role and would both need waivers if send down with the potential of being claimed. I know everyone here seems to like to hate on Juolevi but ,he would be a very effective 3rd pairing LD who can play on the PK and not get caved in defensively.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Pearson Horvat Hoglander will be a line for us. Ive been saying it for months now.
They wont mess with the niche Hoggy carved out for himself last year , dont mess with whats not broken.

Xxx Petey Boes
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Xxx Jt. Miller Garland

Thats your top 9. My guess is Dickinson / Podkolzin or Petan will fill the "xxx" spots.

People on here sometimes have this preconceived notion that theres top 6 and bottom six and god forbid a 60 pt guy plays on a 3rd line. This isnt 2007. Good teams have three scoring lines that are defensively reaponsible. The Canucks will attempt that this year, mark my words

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pearson Horvat Hoglander will be a line for us. Ive been saying it for months now.
They wont mess with the niche Hoggy carved out for himself last year , dont mess with whats not broken.

Xxx Petey Boes
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Xxx Jt. Miller Garland

Thats your top 9. My guess is Dickinson / Podkolzin or Petan will fill the "xxx" spots.

People on here sometimes have this preconceived notion that theres top 6 and bottom six and god forbid a 60 pt guy plays on a 3rd line. This isnt 2007. Good teams have three scoring lines that are defensively reaponsible. The Canucks will attempt that this year, mark my words

I agree with you that 2nd line vs 3rd line doesn't matter, it literally isn't a real thing outside of social media.

My main thing is that I don't think Dickinson will be at C and if he's going to be a "matchup guy" like everyone is thinking then the only way that happens is on Bo's wing. Figuring out what to do with him on this roster is actually somewhat puzzling. He doesn't really seem like a great fit anywhere.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I agree with you that 2nd line vs 3rd line doesn't matter, it literally isn't a real thing outside of social media.

My main thing is that I don't think Dickinson will be at C and if he's going to be a "matchup guy" like everyone is thinking then the only way that happens is on Bo's wing. Figuring out what to do with him on this roster is actually somewhat puzzling. He doesn't really seem like a great fit anywhere.
Only on HF and a few talk radio shows was it said that he wad our 3rd line checking C.
Dickie cant win a damn faceoff , they knew that... he was brought in to be the two-way LW presence on a skilled line.
Heres my hot take... The canucks will put Dickie as LW on Jt. Millers line and give Podz a crack at playing with Petey and Boeser. They're prayimg that he can do enuf to justify his spot there. Even if its just to dig in corners and be a net presence.
If he craps out.. then the whole thing will get shaken up

Time will tell

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I don't get it.

6000201025025.jpg

Reactions: Indiana

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Lackluster even for pre-season game. So many misplaced passes by both teams and mostly a scramble in every zone

Hoglander - Horvat - Pearson looked good together and probably stays a unit heading into the season. Playing with Horvath has revived Pearson's career and if can keep up the this kind of play he is worth his salary and in the top 6 on this team.

Halak made a good showing and while it's early should be better than Holtby was

OEL was fine although not as good as the other night. Poolman had his issues and will, by the look of this game, be prone to some pretty bad errors. Not a strong skater and will need to keep it very simple.

Petan was again poor 5 on 5 and couldn't cover in his own zone. Also too much stop and go hockey leading to turnovers and lost opportunities. Scored but, he is ill-suited to a 4th line role. Dowling did a much better job of supporting the play and maintaining defensive positioning. Showing more speed than expected and good range in his play. If it comes down to these players, Dowling is the better choice for bottom six.

Hunt - showed again his ability to break up plays in mid ice and create offensive chances. Has good vision and usually spots the best man for a pass. However, big trouble deep in his end and you get the feeling he'll give up many chances when forced around his net.

Some players who couldn't raise their games and should be cut include: Bowey (gap control is very bad - totally backed off on everything and ends up playing shifts along his end boards a lot of the time), Focht (couldn't maintain himself in the play - showed no growth in his game this pre-season) , Petan (has had enough of a look and it isn't there - shouldn't waste any more pre-season on him)

Others you are still on the fence on.

Lockwood - has not turned his skating into anything beyond ability to get to the body. Teams will retaliate and you wonder how long he can survive that. Looks like he may end up a NHL- AHL tweener. Yet can still have hopes this player will develop.

Podkolzin - based on his play he is a cut. Needs more speed from the blue line to the net. Just too tentative and needs to make a better second effort. However, given background, you need to extend some rope here.

Guiseppe - has shown nothing special but may not hurt you on the 4th line. Replacement level player who lacks any offensive upside.

Burroghs - serviceable in a pinch but he looks definitely minor league material. If Canucks end up playing him, it reveals serious problems on their backend

Certain holes on the team are becoming evident and especially on defense the team will need to look to the waiver wire for help.

Where's the Garland love OT? o.o

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So now we see what Winnipeg's AHL team's going to be like, huh? I think they had, what, 3, 4 actual NHL players in their lineup? Should've stomped them easily but of course not. Vets were sleepwalking most of the time, but once in a while they'd pounce for an easy goal after one or another of the various no-name schlubs wearing Jets uniforms f***ed up.

--Podkolzin's not ready for prime time yet. You see promise and potential but based on what I've seen from him so far it's still a year or two off. I doubt he lasts if they keep him up to start the season...which is fine.

--Hunt/Burroughs: assumed they were locks for Abbotsford but now possibly one or the other might even slot in on the 3rd pairing if you're seriously trying to ice the best possible team right this second.

--Rathbone: I mean, ideally I'd like him to stick around on the big club but I have zero faith in the team to keep him around. I think the older vets are who they are but Rathbone could be something a lot better and I hope they can see that. They probably can't, though.

--Bowey: bye.

--Petan, Focht, Dowling, Chiasson: also bye. Di Guiseppe might be worth a look as a 4th liner, but the others are clearly AHL material.

--Lockwood: would easily start him and Gadjovic up with the big club. Give the young guys a shot.

Again, systemic problems were obvious, even against competition they should have completely dominated. When the puck's in their own zone far too often they're like five cats all chasing a laser pointer. Far too soft on pucks along the boards or below the red line. Not-so-fun activity: count the number of times the puck goes into a scrum and a Canuck defenseman comes away with it. Not a good harbinger of things to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad