Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 3-2 (Horvat, Petan, Pearson)

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
My point is just that Travis Green isn't going to give two shits if you label something the "2nd line" or the "3rd line" or whatever.
that's fine but Travis Green's opinion is beside the point, he is not in charge of what definitions are. Unless he splits his talent evenly across all his lines (which he won't) and gives all his lines equal icetime and equal offensive faceoff time (which he won't) then he will have a 3rd line and fans will be correct in referring to it that way. And I'm confident Green himself will use these phrases at some point.
So when fans write their cute little lineups online and people freak out because omg you put Garland on the "3rd line!" simply because it was literally the third line of your post, that's just not relevant at all. What's relevant is who you have him playing with and what situations he is going to be used in.
I'm not the official authority but pretty sure "who you have him playing with" and "what situations he is going to be used in" are precisely what define 1st/2nd/3rd liners. And 3rd liner indicates players who have less opportunity for statistical production, in a league that rewards money based on statistical production, so I'm a bit surprised that fans would argue this isn't relevant to a player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
that's fine but Travis Green's opinion is beside the point, he is not in charge of what definitions are. Unless he splits his talent evenly across all his lines (which he won't) and gives all his lines equal icetime and equal offensive faceoff time (which he won't) then he will have a 3rd line and fans will be correct in referring to it that way. And I'm confident Green himself will use these phrases at some point.
I'm not the official authority but pretty sure "who you have him playing with" and "what situations he is going to be used in" are precisely what define 1st/2nd/3rd liners. And 3rd liner indicates players who have less opportunity for statistical production, in a league that rewards money based on statistical production, so I'm a bit surprised that fans would argue this isn't relevant to a player.
It rewards winning too. If you look at guys from Chicago (Saad, Bickell, Leddy) got big contracts from the reputation of being on championships team. TB with Coleman/Goodrow.

If Miller, etc allow coaching staff to freely tweak with the line-up... So that means no whining for minutes then we might have a chance to win. Everybody gets paid after championships.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I feel like you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing and will not respond further. I am saying that if someone constructs their post as

line
Line
Line
Line

it doesn’t mean the players on the 3rd “line” are necessarily “3rd liners” in the way that we would typically use the phrase.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I feel like you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing and will not respond further. I am saying that if someone constructs their post as

line
Line
Line
Line

it doesn’t mean the players on the 3rd “line” are necessarily “3rd liners” in the way that we would typically use the phrase.
it's YOU who brought up this side argument, not me. All I did was question you on it. And you deserve to be questioned on it. Beause you just denied the validity of a basic hockey terminology used by millions of people across the globe for probably about a century or more.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
In a perfect world, Poolman is probably best-suited on the 3rd pairing as a bit of an upgrade on Jordie Benn.

Putting him in high-leverage shutdown minutes is going to be fascinating.
Interesting. I wonder if PoolMan will get some hate because hes used way more than hes capable of. Like Tyler Myers who would be a solid #5 but paid and played like a top pair dman

Reminds me of when Willie D played Sbisa as a mid pair dman who really was a #7 who could be used for under 10 minutes a game in a pinch. Sbisa was a decent guy, great teammate I remember him taking a beating after one of our guys was cheapshotted by a better fighter but most of despised Sbisa due to how he was paid and played by the GM/Coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad