Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 3-1 (Hoglander x2, Horvat)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1993 barry melrose: played warren rychel with gretzky and sandstrom, and gary shuchuk with kurri and robitaille

you remember the goal—

melrose got his GM to trade paul coffey to get his boy shuchuk from detroit’s farm

I was more upset after that goal than any other goal ever scored against us.

Shuchuk was at least a huge AHL scorer (77 points in 47 games that year) who you could see some logic for putting on a scoring line.

Goons on scoring lines was one of the most stupid oddities of the 80s/early 90. That season Yzerman scored 127 points with Kocur on his wing is probably more impressive than his 155-point year.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Interesting to compare the Sens and Canucks, both coming off games against Winnipeg. The Sens bent over backwards to get Stutzle his hat-trick goal into an empty net.

Meantime Hoglander is cooling his heels in the last minute while the same tired veterans were out there basically standing around and letting the Jets run out the clock in their own zone, where the puck was much of the night.

I really hope Green is gone is just six more games.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Interesting to compare the Sens and Canucks, both coming off games against Winnipeg. The Sens bent over backwards to get Stutzle his hat-trick goal into an empty net.

Meantime Hoglander is cooling his heels in the last minute while the same tired veterans were out there basically standing around and letting the Jets run out the clock in their own zone, where the puck was much of the night.

You know it's bad when we're looking up at the Sens this year, both in the standings and in how their franchise is treating their players.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What are you talking about?

Hoglander was playing with Miller and Boeser tonight at ES for the entire game.

That line went on the ice at 16:52 of the 3rd and came off at 17:23.

Then their turn came up again at 18:21 and Jimmy Vesey came on the ice instead of Hoglander with Boeser and Miller

They had a short shift, and then the Highmore line ended up playing out the game.

Green *clearly* benched Hoglander for Vesey with 2 minutes left and an EN. There is no reason to think he wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if that line had a chance to come up again.

Bush-league coaching.
Disagree..I dont think the intent was for Highmore's line to play out the full 9o seconds at the end of the game..Green always short shifts players at the end of the game...That line couldn't get off the ice.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Goons on scoring lines was one of the most stupid oddities of the 80s/early 90. That season Yzerman scored 127 points with Kocur on his wing is probably more impressive than his 155-point year.

gretzky’s 40 pt playoffs on a line with warren rychel

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Disagree..I dont think the intent was for Highmore's line to play out the full 9o seconds at the end of the game..Green always short shifts players at the end of the game...That line couldn't get off the ice.

You’re not getting it.

I agree that he probably didn’t want Highmore’s line to play out the last 90 seconds.

But he already pulled Hoglander off Miller’s line on the previous shift, with the goalie out.

If that line could have changed, we would have seen Boeser-Miller-Vesey come out, same as the previous shift.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Even after a win, the post game thread is dominated by bitching and whining about Green and Benning. Can't even enjoy a win for a few hours.

Good God, Green is a goddamn jackass keeping Hoglander on the bench for the empty net. What a pigeon.

Having Highmore instead of Hog out there in garbage time of a garbage season is funny

Only this Benning-era team could put such a sour taste on a well earned (and unfortunately rare) win.

Do you ever stop with the excuses for this management team?

Highmore has no business being anywhere near an NHL teams top 6...he is only there ina feeble attempt to justify a horrible trade.

Not after the time out??? Once a player on the ice scores an empty netter tje chance for a hatrick is gone you get that right?

If Hoglander wasn't the best player on the ice by a country mile it might be excusable and not a total dick move

If Pearson had 2 goals, Green would've played him the entire time the net was empty. Disgusting. Fire Green, for the love of Gawd!

Lol so we should be pissed at the plug who didn't deserve 19 top 6 minutes for icing the puck?

It's a weird insanity that seems particular to this franchise under this GM. Like, I can't remember this 4th-line-grinder-gets-18-minutes stuff from any other team.

Just with those guys :

Highmore played 82 games in Chicago, and played over 15 minutes once. 5 times in 12 games here.

Megna 63 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 13 times in 58 games here.

Chaput has played 105 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 10 times in 77 games here.

This one is clearly more political than the other weird coaches pets.

Benning knows his return for Gaudette has been roundly panned and his coach is very aligned with him.

For sure, I agree with you.

For me this is all the more reason Benning needs to be replaced by a good GM whi can complete the roster around the good young players, not saddle the roster with over paid bottom sixers and cripple the cap for years.

How can you pay 6 million for a guy who plays in 7 games with zero impact among the many examples? And he is back next year. Also we would have even more good young players like Senators, Rangers, Kings if you don't trade draft picks for the afore mentioned players

I'm glad you are around to fact check POMs nonsense.

You know it's bad when we're looking up at the Sens this year, both in the standings and in how their franchise is treating their players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You’re not getting it.

I agree that he probably didn’t want Highmore’s line to play out the last 90 seconds.

But he already pulled Hoglander off Miller’s line on the previous shift, with the goalie out.

If that line could have changed, we would have seen Boeser-Miller-Vesey come out, same as the previous shift.
Agree to disagree...Greens an ex player (a players coach), I'm sure he was aware that Hog had a couple.....He's not Mike Babcock.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another routine 40 shot night for Demko, who was nothing short of brilliant yet again. But he has to be.

This Canucks team is one of the most atrocious I've ever seen in its own zone. I counted two absolutely horrendous turnovers by both Edler and Myers in the first period alone. But just everybody back there was guilty of least one or two two bonehead plays.

Never seen a team that overhandles the puck in danger areas; fails to get pucks in deep on line changes; and just generally makes ill-advised hoper passes four feet from its own blueline.

I understand that the Canucks have been denied any practice time....but can't the coaches replay these games on a monitor and show the players what they're doing wrong? Or maybe sloppy defensive play is just what the coaches have come to accept.

The Canucks should buy Demko a steak dinner after this game....but I guess there aren't any restaurants open.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agree to disagree...Greens an ex player (a players coach), I'm sure he was aware that Hog had a couple.....He's not Mike Babcock.

Come on, man. You can’t honestly believe this.

If Green was going to let Hoglander get a shift, he would have come out with his regular linemates at 18:21.

Only 1:39 left in the game at that point. If they have a 40-second shift that’s the last shift for that line and the only chance at an EN.

He benched him for Vesey.

They had a short shift before a whistle and then they brought out Horvat’s line for the faceoff and they got stuck. But the intent was very clear - Hoglander wasn’t getting on the ice in that situation.

And he wasn’t going to bench him at 1:39 with an empty net but play him with 50 seconds left. That makes no sense.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Even after a win, the post game thread is dominated by bitching and whining about Green and Benning. Can't even enjoy a win for a few hours.
Sheeeeeeeet.

This took a lot of work.

kudos.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Even after a win, the post game thread is dominated by bitching and whining about Green and Benning. Can't even enjoy a win for a few hours
Who the hell cares about a win at this point of the season? It’s like oh now we have a win, great, move one position down in the draft and see NJ draft Luke Hughes and then use the two brothers to get Quinn to plan his contract to ensure he gets to leave at UFA to join the brothers. Yeah let’s celebrate that win.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Highmore has no business being anywhere near an NHL teams top 6...he is only there ina feeble attempt to justify a horrible trade.
Or perhaps they are seeing if he had more upside than we think. The season is over and they are experimenting
. Why is everyone so damn dramatic

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

So what if the first shift scores into the empty net, as usually happens?

Does that get the best player of the night his hatrick like the Senators did for Stuzle?

Do you think a stubborn coach can make an exception to his ways for a special young player who has worked his butt off all season when the team is eliminated from the playoffs?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

We are not here to be cheerleaders. We are here to discuss hockey and the Canucks. Unfortunately Bennings never ending incompetence is the unavoidable topic because the team cannot move forward without competent management in place.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Now that the Canucks have been officially put out of their playoff misery, can we finally see some lineup changes?

Juolevi, Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Rafferty....I don't care, as long as we see some new faces.

For God's sake give guys like Edler, Myers, Hughes and Pearson some rest. They look like they're skating in molasses out there at times. There's just no excuses for playing these guys 20-plus minutes a night now that there's officially only six games left in the season.

Reactions: David71

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
A big development is Hoglander seems to have picked up a step. He might have a higher ceiling than thought. Maybe he is another core player. It has been a bad year but there are some nice pieces to build with. I rather be Vancouver than Winnipeg, Calgary, Montreal. Ottawa is hard to say, obviously Edmonton Toronto are in better places.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Even after a win, the post game thread is dominated by bitching and whining about Green and Benning. Can't even enjoy a win for a few hours without the hate brigade hijacking every thread.
Maybe our coach should try not being a dick to the young players, which are the only reason to tune in anymore and have been the only reason to tune in for years now?

I was enjoying Hoglander's great night and the success he was having, and Green deciding to be a dick for no reason put a sour taste on the game.

I'm truly puzzled how you can look at this event and conclude that the people calling out the coach for being a dick are the ones ruining your enjoyment of the win.

Did you see Hoglanders face in the last two minutes of that game? That didn't put a damper on your night, it was the posters here pointing out that Green is a dick? If not the young players success, what exactly are you enjoying about this game anyways? The logo getting a win?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Hoglander was a beast in the game tonight. I was so angry to not see him out there with the empty net to get the hat trick. It was one of those nights where he was doing everything. I have no doubt at all he would've scored for his hattie. Absolute prick move to not have Hoglander out there for as long as possible at the end of the game.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Maybe our coach should try not being a dick to the young players, which are the only reason to tune in anymore and have been the only reason to tune in for years now?

I was enjoying Hoglander's great night and the success he was having, and Green deciding to be a dick for no reason put a sour taste on the game.

I'm truly puzzled how you can look at this event and conclude that the people calling out the coach for being a dick are the ones ruining your enjoyment of the win.

Did you see Hoglanders face in the last two minutes of that game? That didn't put a damper on your night, it was the posters here pointing out that Green is a dick? If not the young players success, what exactly are you enjoying about this game anyways? The logo getting a win?

Sure it would have been a nice touch. Maybe Green just didn't find the right moment, who knows. But the reaction to this is way over the top. I enjoyed watching the Canucks win, even though they are just playing out the string. It was nice to see Rathbone get a cheap point, but he played well again, so we can speculate about the great player he can be. Same with Hog, who looks like he could develop into a 60 maybe 70 point player. It's fun to imagine that that might happen,m but you guys suck the joy out of everything. Smoke some weed, get drunk. You guys seriously need to lighten up.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some standouts in this game.

Obviously Hoglander. Probably now our best offensive player or damn close to it. Great season and seems a bona vide top 6 NHL winger. Green needs to give his head a shake for not having him out on the open net situation.

Hughes - That's the Hughes we saw most of last season. Controlling play coming out of the zone and making the quick play around his own net. He's had a rough season and has been truly awful in his own end at times. Nice to see him maybe ending the season well although I don't see it the way to judge his season or the way to determine his compensation moving ahead. Playing him a regular amount always seems to produce better results

Demko - back to being like he was before the covid outbreak. Thought Jets shooting made him look good at times but he was solid. As has been too often the case he was the difference in this game.

Other points

On Rathbone - could clearly see the upside in his skating, passing and reading of the play. Also saw him struggle a little with size deep in his end. Think you can pencil him for next year but he needs to work on play around his net. Question might be - can you carry two smaller players on your back end?

For all Highmore and Vesey can't do (and that includes a lot) both have been adequate to good on the PK.

Graovac sort of fell to earth in this one. Missed several defensive assignments and had trouble getting puck out (not alone there). Like the idea, however, of giving him every opportunity to keep working on the 4th line.

Miller doesn't seem to understand the slashing rule. Lays on the lumber with impunity and could have got several more calls.

Winnipeg looks to be going nowhere. Having Stanley has a kind of go to player on the defense shows a huge weakness. Funny too how the DuBois for Laine trade which was seen as huge, at the time, has turned out to be so ultimately inconsequential. DuBois looks very ordinary and weak defensively and Laine seems to be moving into Loui Eriksson territory

Reactions: DarrenX and Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad