Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 3-1 (Hoglander x2, Horvat)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
(~)Hoglander continues to be one of the best 5v5 players on this team by a SUBSTANTIAL Margin. He is literally "Pettersson Light" at this point.
-
(~)Demko moves back into the top 5 in Goals saved above expected
-
(~)Rathbone got caved in tonight in the shot total, was fine halfway through the game. Him and Hamonic end up with the worse underlying numbers on the team. Not pretty for that pairing tonight.

Reactions: Indiana

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Lol at those who didn’t change the channel to the good teams playing. Looks like a different sport.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not after the time out??? Once a player on the ice scores an empty netter tje chance for a hatrick is gone you get that right?

If Hoglander wasn't the best player on the ice by a country mile it might be excusable and not a total dick move

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Green screwing Hoglander like that is the least surprising thing I've seen today. Bet in his mind Highmore, Pearson, etc give us a better chance to protect the lead and win this super all important game, and that is more important than showing Hogs that you have confidence in him and letting him go for the hattrick, which would be huge for the kid.

Outside of that dickish move by Green, the team played well against a fairly unenthusiastic Jets squad. Hogs was great, Rathbone continues to look good. Demko was huge when we needed him to be. If only this team had somehow been 0.500 since coming back then they'd be right in it to make the playoffs right now, but COVID really took a ton out of them. Had COVID not happened I fully believe this team could've gone a game above 500 to end the year and made the playoffs with their original schedule. In any case, I hope they can find a way to get the kids into as many remaining games as possible, but ultimately lose a lot so we can get the best draft position possible. Though I fully expect them to go on a win streak now that it doesnt matter xD.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The ugly : 19 minutes of icetime for Highmore.

I mean, he's been ok as an 8-minute 4th liner, but that's up there with Keenan and Ciccone.

I feel bad for guys like Highmore - and Megna and Chaput before them. Generally among the hardest working guys out there and their effort should make them fan favorites - but the coaches keep playing them over their heads and frustrating the fans in doing so.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooglander!!!!!!!!!!!

(I fell sleeps and just reversed back to the turd!)

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
watch it again..
Hoglanders were just out.
At 1.31..Jets call a timeout.. Highmore 's line goes on the ice...They ice the puck.......Highmore's line is hemmed in their own zone till the end of the game.

If Highmore's line doesnt ice the puck..Hog gets out there.

Lol so we should be pissed at the plug who didn't deserve 19 top 6 minutes for icing the puck?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel bad for guys like Highmore - and Megna and Chaput before them. Generally among the hardest working guys out there and their effort should make them fan favorites - but the coaches keep playing them over their heads and frustrating the fans in doing so.

It's a weird insanity that seems particular to this franchise under this GM. Like, I can't remember this 4th-line-grinder-gets-18-minutes stuff from any other team.

Just with those guys :

Highmore played 82 games in Chicago, and played over 15 minutes once. 5 times in 12 games here.

Megna 63 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 13 times in 58 games here.

Chaput has played 105 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 10 times in 77 games here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hoglander’s presence is holding the team back from getting a high draft pick. Terrible signing. :sarcasm:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's a weird insanity that seems particular to this franchise under this GM. Like, I can't remember this 4th-line-grinder-gets-18-minutes stuff from any other team.

Just with those guys :

Highmore played 82 games in Chicago, and played over 15 minutes once. 5 times in 12 games here.

Megna 63 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 13 times in 58 games here.

Chaput has played 105 games with other teams, over 15 minutes once. 10 times in 77 games here.

This one is clearly more political than the other weird coaches pets.

Benning knows his return for Gaudette has been roundly panned and his coach is very aligned with him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There was over a minute to play..I'm sure Hog was going to play the last minute...The line that was on the ice, iced the puck...Had to stay on the ice, and got hemmed in their own zone till the end of the game..

I'm sure the intention was to get him out there.

watch it again..
Hoglanders were just out.
At 1.31..Jets call a timeout.. Highmore 's line goes on the ice...They ice the puck.......Highmore's line is hemmed in their own zone till the end of the game.

If Highmore's line doesnt ice the puck..Hog gets out there.

What are you talking about?

Hoglander was playing with Miller and Boeser tonight at ES for the entire game.

That line went on the ice at 16:52 of the 3rd and came off at 17:23.

Then their turn came up again at 18:21 and Jimmy Vesey came on the ice instead of Hoglander with Boeser and Miller

They had a short shift, and then the Highmore line ended up playing out the game.

Green *clearly* benched Hoglander for Vesey with 2 minutes left and an EN. There is no reason to think he wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if that line had a chance to come up again.

Bush-league coaching.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
At any rate; definitely pleased to see a win on the backs of a stud young player (Hoglander) and a great performance from our young starting goaltender. Also nice to see Rathbone see a high in ice time, look good on the PP, and get his first assist. We’ve got some really promising pieces in place if we can manage to fix some of the lingering negative value players and cap hits we have.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
At any rate; definitely pleased to see a win on the backs of a stud young player (Hoglander) and a great performance from our young starting goaltender. Also nice to see Rathbone see a high in ice time, look good on the PP, and get his first assist. We’ve got some really promising pieces in place if we can manage to fix some of the lingering negative value players and cap hits we have.

For sure, I agree with you.

For me this is all the more reason Benning needs to be replaced by a good GM whi can complete the roster around the good young players, not saddle the roster with over paid bottom sixers and cripple the cap for years.

How can you pay 6 million for a guy who plays in 7 games with zero impact among the many examples? And he is back next year. Also we would have even more good young players like Senators, Rangers, Kings if you don't trade draft picks for the afore mentioned players

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Rathbone out of the lineup for Juolevi after tonight.

But with the playoffs officially done it would be nice to give edler 2 or 3 games off.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Just with those guys :

1993 barry melrose: played warren rychel with gretzky and sandstrom, and gary shuchuk with kurri and robitaille

you remember the goal—

melrose got his GM to trade paul coffey to get his boy shuchuk from detroit’s farm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad