Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Habs and Refs - 3-2 (OT) (Gaudette, Hoglander, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i know it's a controversial take but the nfl probably has the best overtime structure (though there definitely are inherent flaws with the whole ball possession thing). i don't give a f*** if people feel there "has to be a winner", this is probably what the nhl should do.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Been saying for years JAke lacks character. He’s a selfish person. He puts his immediate wants ahead of what’s best for his teammates. It’s exactly why he’s overweight and not fit, and why he takes that selfish penalty. He could be a very good player, but his poor character gets in the way.

He is the kind of player you run away from screaming. Get rid of him.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's just the divisional play that created these 'rag the puck' overtimes....but something has sure changed. Teams possess the puck for up two minutes and seem to have no interest in actually attacking. As soon as they're pressed, it's back out into the neutral zone.

Then when one team gets a couple of forwards out there like Miller had to face, then teams pounce. But man it can be very boring. There's actually a piece on Sportsnet ripping the Habs for their OT strategy.

But whatever they're doing in Montreal isn't working....they're 0-9 in OT games.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
all hail demko. miller with a nice individual effort. refs were brutal... delay of game by motte it touched a habs stick as well. van would have won 2-1 in regulation had that not happen

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Miller can drive a line. We need two more topsix wingers so we can run three scoring lines with three sets of two.
Petey Boeser
Horvat Hoglander
Miller xxxx

Some interesting UFA's coming up:
Palmieri, Tatar, Schwartz, Granlund, Armia, Iafallo,

If we could drop Virtanen, Pearson, Sutter and grab a couple secondary scorers.. we would be so set. Running three scoring lines would keep us from being outshot so badly like we usually are.

We have no cap space for that. The focus this off-season should be signing our young RFA’s and trying to unload some cap space in Sutter and Virtanen. If we can get Edler on a short hometown deal then you look into that too.

Depending on if we can get rid of Sutter and or Virtanen, and who Seattle takes from us I think the ideal move this off-season would be to target old vets or any cheap players to 1 year deals. Like how Toronto got Thornton this year.

The next year is when most of our bad contracts are gone and that’s where I hope our “next” gm can make some good signings.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Virtanen is punching without hesitation in the 3rd period? I need to see this team in person. We have a highly motivated group in my opinion which is very encouraging for Canucks fans.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Also once we get some good winger depth on this team, Miller at #3C should absolutely be explored. We can run 3 strong play driving lines and all of them can share some match up duties.
Miller would be 1C. He drives play better than Elias

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Miller would be 1C. He drives play better than Elias
Elias should be a winger anyways, in my opinion. He could always fill in at C if need be. Run Miller and Horvat as your top 2 centres.

Having EP's one timer off of the rush would be ideal.

Something like

Hoglander - Miller - EP

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

would be ideal.

Or, if you can train Boeser to play his off wing:

Boeser - Miller - EP

Hoglander - Horvat - top 6 winger (Podkolzin eventually?)

I think I like that better than how the lineup is currently structured.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeay.. 2 pts!
I will be happy with a win tomorrow and a split with Wpg.

Play Demko tomorrow on the b2b, rest him for gm 1 Wpg. Break coming up... He can handle it.

Elias should be a winger anyways, in my opinion. He could always fill in at C if need be. Run Miller and Horvat as your top 2 centres.

Having EP's one timer off of the rush would be ideal.

Something like

Hoglander - Miller - EP

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

would be ideal.

Or, if you can train Boeser to play his off wing:

Boeser - Miller - EP

Hoglander - Horvat - top 6 winger (Podkolzin eventually?)

I think I like that better than how the lineup is currently structured.

That Horvat line is anything but ideal..
Two slugs trying to play a two way shut down role....... Would not work well...

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Virtanen is punching without hesitation in the 3rd period? I need to see this team in person. We have a highly motivated group in my opinion which is very encouraging for Canucks fans.
We are the same team we were in jan-feb. We just have insane goaltending. Sometimes i wonder if people here watch the games before they post. Maybe it's because they want the team to succeed and they can't have an obejective opinion. We will finish 5th and people will call it a moral victory. We are playing some unsustainable hockey right now .Where have we seen this before?

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
i know it's a controversial take but the nfl probably has the best overtime structure (though there definitely are inherent flaws with the whole ball possession thing). i don't give a f*** if people feel there "has to be a winner", this is probably what the nhl should do.
Nah, it's the most broken overtime structure in all professional sports. Win a coin flip, score one TD, and the loser of the coin flip doesn't even get a possession? That's heinous, a coin flip should never have that much weight over the outcome. How would the NHL adopt something like that? Flip a coin to see who goes first in the shootout, then the first goal wins? Good luck getting players/owners/BOG on board with that...

I think if they want to change overtime to loosen it up again, the best change would be to not switch sides. Keep the benches in the defensive ends. Then the whole "rag the puck to tire them out" strategy falls to pieces. Although maybe they'd have to tighten up the rules on lacrosse changes. That being said, I like overtime how it is, even if it's not as bonkers as the first year of 3v3. I like the tactics of it. And besides, the Canucks still take an exciting approach, I mean look at that Miller goal

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We are the same team we were in jan-feb. We just have insane goaltending. Sometimes i wonder if people here watch the games before they post. Maybe it's because they want the team to succeed and they can't have an obejective opinion. We will finish 5th and people will call it a moral victory. We are playing some unsustainable hockey right now .Where have we seen this before?
Exactly. How many odd man rushes and breakaways did we give up again? A LOT! This team is old and slow.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm just glad the power play woes were unsustainable.
Too bad Boeser's goalscoring wasn't sustainable.
Gaudette seems to be on an unsustainable run now as well.
Too bad power play Horvat was unsustainable.
Pettersson's injury ... Sustainable or unsustainable?
I can not sustain this post.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I'm just glad the power play woes were unsustainable.
Too bad Boeser's goalscoring wasn't sustainable.
Gaudette seems to be on an unsustainable run now as well.
Too bad power play Horvat was unsustainable.
Pettersson's injury ... Sustainable or unsustainable?
I can not sustain this post.
Don't get your hopes up man. We will finish 5 or 6. At least we won't be last. ;)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Nah, it's the most broken overtime structure in all professional sports. Win a coin flip, score one TD, and the loser of the coin flip doesn't even get a possession? That's heinous, a coin flip should never have that much weight over the outcome. How would the NHL adopt something like that? Flip a coin to see who goes first in the shootout, then the first goal wins? Good luck getting players/owners/BOG on board with that...

I think if they want to change overtime to loosen it up again, the best change would be to not switch sides. Keep the benches in the defensive ends. Then the whole "rag the puck to tire them out" strategy falls to pieces. Although maybe they'd have to tighten up the rules on lacrosse changes. That being said, I like overtime how it is, even if it's not as bonkers as the first year of 3v3. I like the tactics of it. And besides, the Canucks still take an exciting approach, I mean look at that Miller goal

I didn't mean the coin-flip aspect, I meant the x minutes playing the game normally, then a tie if nothing is resolved by then.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Miller has one 5on5 point in the 8 games Pettersson has been out. This idea that he's so much better at centre is foolish. His underlying numbers are down the drain as is his 5on5 scoring.
Even if you ignore the offense, he's not reliable enough defensively.

He doesn't really care about backchecking. He coughs the puck up over and over in his own end.

You have to put this guy on the wing with a reliable center like petey to cover up his problems.

Reactions: Scorvat

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Miller appears to be doing "more", but really all stats point to Miller being way better with Petterson. This was like the first game his line was completely caved and that was mostly due to Horvat line absorbing the toughest matchup

Petterson is the best Canucks forward at the breakout. He needs to stay at center period

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think the players will figure it out as a hybrid.

Miller as centre offensively, Pettersson as centre defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad