Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Habs and Refs - 3-2 (OT) (Gaudette, Hoglander, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Miller can drive a line. We need two more topsix wingers so we can run three scoring lines with three sets of two.
Petey Boeser
Horvat Hoglander
Miller xxxx

Some interesting UFA's coming up:
Palmieri, Tatar, Schwartz, Granlund, Armia, Iafallo,

If we could drop Virtanen, Pearson, Sutter and grab a couple secondary scorers.. we would be so set. Running three scoring lines would keep us from being outshot so badly like we usually are.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Literally no benefit to him going on LTIR if he's not injured going forward. Possible that injury wasn't responding as they hoped and they've had to take another approach.

well thats not true. Retroactive IR would save cap space of the games hes missed so far but he would need to be out till minimum the end of the month.

Something is fishy.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
How did their performances compare to Tim Schaller at $2 million? Granlund?

Schaller and Granlund didn’t work out either but they had a pedigree before they came to Vancouver. Sometimes it happens. Gaunce and Archibald just weren’t NHL players.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Miller can drive a line. We need two more topsix wingers so we can run three scoring lines with three sets of two.
Petey Boeser
Horvat Hoglander
Miller xxxx

Some interesting UFA's coming up:
Palmieri, Tatar, Schwartz, Granlund, Armia, Iafallo,

If we could drop Virtanen, Pearson, Sutter and grab a couple secondary scorers.. we would be so set. Running three scoring lines would keep us from being outshot so badly like we usually are.

I think Jaden Schwartz is a character guy that would fit like a glove with JT

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
well thats not true. Retroactive IR would save cap space of the games hes missed so far but he would need to be out till minimum the end of the month.

Something is fishy.
LTIR doesn't save cap, it lets you exceed the cap by the cap hit of the LTIR player while the player is on LTIR.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schaller and Granlund didn’t work out either but they had a pedigree before they came to Vancouver. Sometimes it happens. Gaunce and Archibald just weren’t NHL players.

Guys like Schaller/Granlund/Pouliot/Vey were never NHL players and were constantly terrible but played multiple NHL seasons because a bad GM who can't scout players invested in them and forced them into the lineup.

Guys like Archibald and Gaunce performed at a higher level than those guys ever did but because they didn't have 'pedigree' and didn't have an NHL GM invested in them, they didn't receive the same chances.

Again, the best 3rd line we've had in the last 6 years was in the back half of the 17-18 season, and those guys never received another NHL shot afterward and never proved that they couldn't continue that level of play. They were forced out so this team's GM could bring worse players he paid more for onto the roster.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I thought Vesey played ok but he needs to stop trying to make the cutsie Maple Leafs type plays that never work in the playoffs. There is a time to dangle and there is a time to make the safe play or take it to the net.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought Vesey played ok but he needs to stop trying to make the cutsie Maple Leafs type plays that never work in the playoffs. There is a time to dangle and there is a time to make the safe play or take it to the net.

I thought he was fine. If he can just not hurt the team with bad defensive plays / penalties in his minutes, I’d be happy.

Reactions: Peen

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I thought he was fine. If he can just not hurt the team with bad defensive plays / penalties in his minutes, I’d be happy.

Yah defensively he was decent. I just remember (I think it was) early in the third where he was a lucky bounce away from turning it over when his line was entering the Canadiens zone and he got cute. If the puck had bounced the other way he would have been on the ice for a outnumbered chance against Demko. Luckily his line kept possession.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Guys like Schaller/Granlund/Pouliot/Vey were never NHL players and were constantly terrible but played multiple NHL seasons because a bad GM who can't scout players invested in them and forced them into the lineup.

Guys like Archibald and Gaunce performed at a higher level than those guys ever did but because they didn't have 'pedigree' and didn't have an NHL GM invested in them, they didn't receive the same chances.

Again, the best 3rd line we've had in the last 6 years was in the back half of the 17-18 season, and those guys never received another NHL shot afterward and never proved that they couldn't continue that level of play. They were forced out so this team's GM could bring worse players he paid more for onto the roster.

Gaunce and Archibald have around 150 games total in the NHL while Schaller and Granlund have around 600 yet they were never NHL players and all management in the NHL are wrong about the former pair? Is that about accurate?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Blowing a lead and winning in the gimmicky post 60 shenanigans. Screams playoff team.

Isn't that the third consecutive lead they've given up? I thought they were mentioning how against the Sens they blew a couple of leads.

Back in 2011, I can remember it seemed like even if they went into the third period you still favored them to win.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Holtby starting tomorrow shouldn't even be a question. Demko needs a break.
Fine...but it's a guarantied loss night with Holtby between the pipes.....do you really want to risk it with a chance to pass the Habs in the standings?

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce and Archibald have around 150 games total in the NHL while Schaller and Granlund have around 600 yet they were never NHL players and all management in the NHL are wrong about the former pair? Is that about accurate?

Like, did you actually watch all of those players play for us? It isn’t even close.

How many NHL games would Pouliot and Vey have played if Jim Benning didn’t trade draft picks for them?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wish our announcers had the balls to call out real bad calls b/c that was a huge issue in this game. So scared of offending anyone. Overall the team had long stretches of very good play and appears to be really coming together. The impossible of a month ago now seems achievable. Most of the credit goes to Demko but others have had an increasing good impact.

Demko - if he wins the Veaina the only question will be how much we have to pay him. Seems like he doesn't need rest but maybe the team should anyhow. Saved the game with the save on Anderson.

Miller - think he has to stay at center. Player that can take over a game. Right now the best player on the team (other than Demko)

Hoglander - so much to like everywhere on the ice. His goal was a product of his play in both ends of the rink. If he had been picked where Podkolzin was, you'd still be happy.

Edler - like to see him finally get that goal but he is having a very good run of play. His puck movement from the back continues to improve

Schmidt - solid. Is becoming the player we thought he was. Made the quick effective play in his end and at the offensive blueline.

Benn - continue to be surprised at how well he is backing up Myers (and btw Myers was lucky he didn't end up in an emergency ward). Moving up to +6 and playing near error free hockey. Never would have said this before, and have to admit I could never have seen this, but I think you want this player back next year.

Gaudette - one of his best games. With MacEwen and Roussel kept good pressure on the puck and were able to establish some good o-zone time.

Horvat - drop off from recent efforts and you wonder how much gas there is in the tank but he remains effective

Motte - can't help but love this player. His speed and tenacity are hugely important to improving our bottom 6 and the PK. Must be protected heading into the ED.

Not so Good

Boeser - forced off the puck too easily and didn't have his wheels going. Big drop off from recent games and didn't have it on the PP. Not going to be on top of your game all the time

Bad

Hughes - terrible. When the Canucks had rhythm he slowed the game down rather than keeping the puck moving. Down in his end, he couldn't handle it physically. He was shunted aside or just driven back into Demko. Montreal realized this weakness and matched up to exploit Hughes. Those shifts were the team was tied up in their own end with Montreal getting chances on net were the ones where Hughes was being manhandled and bumped off the puck and out of the play. Hamonic and the centers were left racing around trying to mop up mistake after mistake by Hughes. Also Hughes was making terrible pinches. There were times when stalled out somewhere between where players were fighting for the puck along the boards and the blue line. He was covering nothing and Montreal was exploiting this by sending people up the middle for breakaways or odd man rushes ( as in the OT). And, of course, he was again over staying his shifts. Finally his work on the PP continues to get poorer.

Right now Hughes is our worst defenseman currently playing on the defense. Yes he got an assist but it was another freebie where someone else did all the work. And the deeper question and legitimate question is can Hughes play adequate defense deep in his zone? Right now the team is in constant problems when opposition can get the play down low in the defensive zone on Hughes and then work him.

Say it large here CAN HUGHES PLAY DEFENSE IN HIS END AT THE NHL LEVEL?

This, to me, is an open question and really needs to be evaluated before any cap destroying contract is offered him. In the past, we have just assumed that someone like Baertschi would be a top 6 player when there was already plenty of evidence he was not. We should not do the same with Hughes.

Others

Virtanen - getting a little more in sync with others but needed to score on that chance and not take that brain dead late penalty.

Vesey - needs to be stronger on his stick and quicker with it. Skates well enough but doesn't seem to have really any quick burst. Played ok but didn't show any upper level talent. We will need to time to see how he meshes with others. Did enough to seem like a worthwhile pickup.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes-Schmidt needs to happen (maybe even on the PP as well). Their respective partners aren't likely to be here next year, and can't take the big minutes anyway. The top pair of the future, get it goin now.

I like Benn, in the occasional dose... where's OJ?

Id strongly think about JT as the #1C while here. Petey would be an awesome winger for a couple years, rest of his career at C. Top 6 personnel wise would stay the same.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hughes-Schmidt needs to happen (maybe even on the PP as well). Their respective partners aren't likely to be here next year, and can't take the big minutes anyway. The top pair of the future, get it goin now.

I like Benn, in the occasional dose... where's OJ?

Id strongly think about JT as the #1C while here. Petey would be an awesome winger for a couple years, rest of his career at C. Top 6 personnel wise would stay the same.

Would not like to break up some decent pairings like Edler and Schmidt and Benn and Myers just to facilitate Hughes. He needs to put on his big boy pants and start playing with more of a team concept and find ways of handling people in his end. In terms of playing time, PP time and match ups we have already done enough shepherding.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Fast, two-way acumen, feisty, hard on the puck and 50 pt potential and a cup winner. I'd definitely take him

It all depends on the contracts we can get Pettersson/Hughes/Demko signed, if there's any left over space.
And even then, we should prioritize another top 4 D with any extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad