Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 4-2 (Hamonic, Hoglander, Myers, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of all the Utica callups and guys in audition, I'd have to say that even in brief flashes you can see that Lockwood is the best of the bunch.

The kid has serious hops and might have the quickest first-step of any of the Canuck prospects. Utica watchers already reporting that he has NHL wheels, and you could see it in this game.

Hard to say how much offense he'll bring to the table, but with his speed there's definitely a third-fourth line role possible. Trouble is with guys like Highmore, Boyd, Vesey, Lind, Motte, Roussel, etc.....the Canucks have a glut of depth forwards. But I can see Lockwood separating himself.

Also really liked Rathbone's game....the kid plays a cerebral game and is just solid on both sides of the puck. Can't see how he isn't penciled into the lineup for the start of next season.

In Lockwood and Rathbone, it lessens the string of the complete whiffs on Juolevi and Virtanen. But just think how much depth this team would have if those high first rounders had actually panned out?

Reactions: Indiana

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Yes. Lockwood and Rathbone. And Hollander and Even Podz. All are bright bright spots in our future!

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Is it me or did Murph not get to talk much in that first intermission with the Calgary guy?

I think he likes to hear himself talk. ;)

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I don’t understand why Michaelis has gotten so much ice time down the stretch.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Silovs is one of Ian Clark's 'project' goalies....would be nice to see him get some minutes in the season finale. What have they got to lose, but a higher draft position?

Reactions: Indiana

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Silovs is one of Ian Clark's 'project' goalies....would be nice to see him get some minutes in the season finale. What have they got to lose, but a higher draft position?
That’s be nice. However if I’m honest, the first time he was backing up this season I had to look him up! I had completely forgot we drafted another G

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Why the heck is Toronto Montreal not starting until Thursday? That makes no sense t all.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Zipp, you wrote "If he can play this well in tough games I'll be a believer."

Did he play this well?

Were they tough games?

Or is this one of those situations where the goalposts keep moving?

Man, you ARE toxic. But seriously I don't hate him at all but he hasn't exactly knocked me out lately and he's being coddled HARD. I would give him some tougher games to temper him a bit, but that's just me...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Man, you ARE toxic. But seriously I don't hate him at all but he hasn't exactly knocked me out lately and he's being coddled HARD. I would give him some tougher games to temper him a bit, but that's just me...

I am . . . wait, was that a personal attack, or did you notice my username just now?

Reactions: Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's because the Flames are basically mailing it in these days, but Hoglander looks a lot faster to me in recent games. He's generating some serious speed through the neutral zone.

With his hands, vision and grit, if this kid develops another skating gear, look out! He's on pace for a 20 goal and 40-45 point season in an 82-game schedule.

He has the potential to be not just a top-six winger but maybe even a top one or two. Incredible find in the second round.

Reactions: RussianRacket

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought Lockwood looked good. Say again he reminds me of Mason Raymond with the skating and he seems to have decent puck skills. Like how he plays with his head up when he's got the puck. What he lacks, it seems, that Raymond had was the ability to use his quickness to get to from the blue line to the net in a straight line and quickly. Thought that, even at this level, his skating stood out at times. Maybe something to work with here.

Rathbone has a ways to go deep in his end. Good in the open ice and especially in a game as loosely played as these. Light years better than Joulevi.

Vesey teases you with good, sound play at times. Doesn't lead to much but his defensive commitment seems there.

Highmore is what he is. Think he is better option over someone like Hawryluk.

Michaelis should not be re-signed. Maybe he can be signed by Abbotsford.

Fun to watch players like Hughes and Johnny Hockey at times like this. Skill level and skating are off the charts. When Hughes starts doing his "rover" thing, he can just take over the game. If he can ever put this all together he is going to dominate games.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I disagree, I think we can criticize poor broadcasters, even if they are Female or of a Minority. There are many others of such that are excellent at the craft. It’s not about their Race or Gender, it’s about their talents.

I’ve mentioned before that I would like to see Cassie replaced with one of the other Ladies available on the Sportsnet crew. They have several who are much better, imho.
Good point, but unfortunately equality in criticism isn't here yet.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad