Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 4-2 (Garland, Wouters, Miller, Pearson)

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Wholeheartedly agree with this.....the sooner I can ditch Sportsnet 650 the better....Riccio and Shaw might be worst intermission tandem I've ever heard on a Vancouver radio station and I've been listening Canuck broadcasts for more than 40 years. Almost unlistenable.

It was actually interesting to follow the game streaming on the Flames website....couldn't get anything off the Canucks site. No sound of course, but for whatever reason the play-by-play on Sportsnet 650 was about 30 seconds delayed from the actual game action. Made you realize how poor the radio broadcast really is.

Too bad we lost TSN 1040 for the Canuck post-game show.
Yep.
For me, the website commentary kicked in at the start of the second period - and I am unsure if that was a good thing..

Yet, it's always nice hearing a broadcast...and to be fair, it is not easy.

Too much 'colour' in the colour commentary this evening (dark rum? light rum? No colour Reynolds' Aviation Gin? ;)..he is a fan) but people have to learn somewhere, and sometimes their start is not good.

We showed a lot of speed - especially on the forecheck - and a few young/new players had a few eye-catching shifts tonight.

Looking forward to more...

Reactions: mossey3535

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Corey Hirsch seriously sounded like he was high the entire game.

which I respect.

but I don’t really want to listen to.
he was on the radio last week talking about how he quit drinking a couple months ago. Between that and the well documented mental health issues....i want to pull for the guy, but he is just terrible (insert charles barkley voice). Not clever, not funny and nothing remotely insightful ever comes out of his mouth.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, that was a thing. Interesting that it took the sound and video crew a lot longer than me to get it working. Didn't miss the total lack of pbp and colour during the first period; I wish that was an option for digital. Put the jackass commentary on the centre speaker channel then mute. Much better enjoyment level. Entertainingly, some bug had two channels of commentary going for a while about halfway through the second period. Those SNet guys aren't exactly the paragon of competence.

Preseason games obviously you're not that worried so much about the outcome rather than the process...honestly had me worried at times. Even though the Flames had 9/10ths an AHL team going play in the Canucks zone was much like the last few seasons. Too many missed checks, too many sloppy mistakes, too many easy plays flubbed, and too often did the play rely on the goalie. This is not a good harbinger of things to come.

Anyway, let's do the interesting things about the Flames to get them out of the way: 1) They have a goalie you can call Darth Vladar, and 2) They have a guy called DeSimone. If you've seen Goodfellas, Joe Pesci's character Tommy DeVito was based on real-life Lucchese associate Tommy DeSimone, who unlike Pesci was a very physically intimidating guy at 6'4" and was by all accounts a terrifying psychopath in his own right. Henry Hill rated Pesci's performance as 90% accurate to the real guy despite the lack of physical resemblance. That is all.

On our side:

--DiPietro: great game I thought. Glad to see that after such a long layoff.

--Juolevi: Buried on the depth chart by Rathbone. I think he might have won...two? Three? Puck battles the entire game on his own.

--Rathbone: Started strong but I thought faded as time went on. Unsure in his own end quite a lot of the time, but nice wipeout of a Calgary forechecker in the 2nd there. Not helped by:

--Myers: God, this guy. I mean, you don't want to read too much into a preseason game for a vet, but this guy was just out to lunch. Head nowhere near the game.

--Gadjovic: Really liked him tonight. Seems like he actually learned how to skate at some point; nice assist, nice speed, nice physicality. He keeps it up and there might just be a 4th line spot for him somewhere. Hope he does.

--Lockwood: Trying to hit everything in sight at first, quieted down after that. Positive, though modest impact. Not sure he has the size to play that role consistently at the NHL level.

--Woo: stuck with the awful Juolevi, but showed okay. Didn't try to get fancy, but imho still needs more seasoning. Still, up and coming.

--Podkolzin: He's not going to be the hero we need or deserve yet, but encouraging. Bits and pieces of good plays here and there, but still clearly behind the play a lot of the time. Hope he sticks, but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he starts in Abbotsford. Kinda gangly looking guy; reminds me a bit of Tom Felton. He started off playing Draco Malfoy as the perfect little Nazi Youth Slytherin snot child...then a couple of movies later puberty's hit him like a load of bricks and he's all arms, legs and adam's apple.

--Vets existed. Horvat, Miller, and Pearson were there. Pearson in particular did bugger-all until he walked in and scored. MacEwan was much too comfortable with Gadjovic breathing down his neck.

--Highmore was crap. Way too easily shoved off the puck and out of the play. Dime a dozen player.

--Chiasson exists, although you might be forgiven for forgetting about him. I did for an entire period. Complete non-entity. Waste of a spot. No idea why they bothered giving him a PTO.

--Poolman: Clearly a depth guy who tried to do significant stuff today and didn't really get there. Meh.

--OEL: Welp...hmm. Definitely good on one side of the redline tonight...other side not so much. Paying Ferrari prices for a C4 Corvette with a wonky rear diff and several accidents in its history. Skated much better than that one tweeted sequence from skating lines, but still reminded me of a smaller, weaker Edler in his own zone more than once.

-------------------- Happy New Year, HF! ------------------------

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

In other fun news, Loui Had a beauty snipe for the first goal for Arizona:DD

Loui has been in professional hell for a very long time here in Vancouver.

Francesco has wasted a lot of peoples time over the last 7 years.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yup. For a 'football guy' he knew his hockey pretty well and was rare in that he was a fan but not a homer and not afraid to criticize the team.

His rant when Jamie Macoun cheapshotted a Canuck in 1994 when the Leafs were getting typical Leaf favourable ref treatment was the greatest colour commentator moment in franchise history.

I hated him so much. Absolutely incapable of shutting the f*** up and letting a great moment speak for itself. Even John Garrett knows when to do this. Tom Larscheid ruined every great highlight by squealing over top of it with utterly inane banality. My least favorite commentator ever.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a guy playing on back-to-back nights, Rathbone continues to be a revelation. His skating and smarts are elite....and if he gets ice time with offensive players around him, he'll light up the scoresheet.

Not a chance in the world he ever plays a period in Abbotsford, even though he can be sent down without waivers. As for Juolevi, he might stick as a 7th or 8th d-man, particularly with Hamonic likely gone. But seriously struggled at times with Woo tonight.

Kinda hoped they'd reunite Rathbone and Woo as a pairing, to see if they could replicate the solid play in Utica last season. But Rathbone was tethered to Myers most of the night.....hard to see who fits with Myers. Hughes couldn't play him and he was disaster playing with Juolevi.

Reactions: Ozone

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
OEL played very well and showed the kind of command we need in the backend. Has the potential to be as good a defenseman has the team has in many years. Feeling lot better about the trade

Other vets playing well - Pearson (likely stays in the top 6), Horvat, Miller, Garland, Poolman (will not hurt the team playing like this)

As to the younger players/fringe guys

Podkolzin - looked a little nervous and mostly tentative. Like it if he showed a little more foot speed.

Highland - again a very good motor and did create some offense. Like his play this pre-season.

Gadjovich - making a good case for himself. His line with Wooters (playing surprising well) and Lockwood did not look out of place. Be a great line in Abbotsford although I'm not sure Gadjovich makes it thru waivers.

Lockwood - much better tonight. Outstanding in transition. Has NHL wheels

Dowling - had some effective shifts. Good speed and made some good defensive plays. In the conversation.

Woo - mostly solid. Has the skating and smarts to play at this level. Needs some time to figure where and when to press the play and avoid making big mistakes

Joulevi - hung in better with the battering he was getting but knocked to the ice too easily. Showing a lot more determination than in the past and made some decent plays at the offensive blueline. However, must play better in traffic (especially around his net) and not get beat wide as much as he does. At this point, he is not on the team.

Rathbone - given the situation he is solidly on the team.

McEwen - hoped for improvement is just not there. Looks the same as last year where he didn't have the polish to complete plays. Would say, however, he seems more willing to go the body with authority. Lots of try but very little happening here.

Chaisson - too slow. He is not beating out any one in the top 6 and doesn't suit the lower lines

Depietro - let in the one questionable goal but otherwise very good. Stopping most everything he could see. Could see time with the Canucks this year.

Might add that Myers was very poor. Puck seems in his skates all game and lots of just golfing his passes. Best Calgary chances came against him. Thought he was the worst defense man (worst player at that) and that includes Joulevi.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hated him so much. Absolutely incapable of shutting the f*** up and letting a great moment speak for itself. Even John Garrett knows when to do this. Tom Larscheid ruined every great highlight by squealing over top of it with utterly inane banality. My least favorite commentator ever.

Huh. Interesting.

This is how I feel about Pierre McGuire - and I literally find games with him doing commentary unwatchable - but I never felt that way about Larscheid.

He was also doing radio so the highlight couldn't really speak for itself the same way as on TV. It's a different job than Garrett has.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It’s sad when yer veterans shit the bed during prime player development time.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Huh. Interesting.

This is how I feel about Pierre McGuire - and I literally find games with him doing commentary unwatchable - but I never felt that way about Larscheid.

He was also doing radio so the highlight couldn't really speak for itself the same way as on TV. It's a different job than Garrett has.

"Babych with a long shot, Potvin had trouble with it. Adams shoots, scores! Greg Adams! Greg Adams! Adams gets the winner! Fourteen seconds into the second overtime. The Vancouver Canucks are GOING to the Stanley Cup FINALS."

A great moment, a great call. One of the eminent highlights of my young hockey fan life.

And then f***ing Larscheid butts in.

"ThiS Is Teh GrEatEsT MomMENT in CanuCKS HISTOrY"

Completely sapping the moment of all of its gravity. He just couldn't help himself. He had to get his voice in there, even when he had nothing to say. This adds nothing to the broadcast, provides no information. And worse than that, feels absolutely patronizing. I KNOW how big this moment is Tom, I am a fan. I don't need YOU to TELL ME how big this moment is. Let the moment speak for itself. Don't f***ing fansplain it to me. No great sports moment has ever had the f***ing announcer shouting at the audience that it's a great moment. The moment speaks for itself.

And it was always like this. Larscheid would flat out interrupt Shorthouse to scream at you about how big of an event this was. LISTEN TO THIS PLACe. I would love to, Tom, if you would maybe shut the f*** up maybe I could.

Remember Daniel's last goal? (2) Watch: Sedin twins combine for OT goal in Vancouver farewell - YouTube. For me the most significant Canucks moment of the last 5 years. Notice how beautifully silent Shorthouse and Garret were for the entirety of it. They just let it soak in. "Daniel...Let's it go he scores!" Add then that's it. The goal horn, the crowd, I get chills watching it again. Neither Shorthouse nor Garret say a word for two full minutes! They let it breathe. They let you as the fan just take it all in. They let you listen to the PA announcer call the goal. I mean it's just perfect. This is how it should be IMO. The good ones know when not to talk and just let you bathe in the experience.

If this were f***ing Larscheid he would have been screaming and shouting the entire time "WHAT A gREAT MOMENT OMMG THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE LISTEN TO THE CROWd." I am so glad he wasn't there to ruin this one.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
For a guy playing on back-to-back nights, Rathbone continues to be a revelation. His skating and smarts are elite....and if he gets ice time with offensive players around him, he'll light up the scoresheet.

Not a chance in the world he ever plays a period in Abbotsford, even though he can be sent down without waivers. As for Juolevi, he might stick as a 7th or 8th d-man, particularly with Hamonic likely gone. But seriously struggled at times with Woo tonight.

Kinda hoped they'd reunite Rathbone and Woo as a pairing, to see if they could replicate the solid play in Utica last season. But Rathbone was tethered to Myers most of the night.....hard to see who fits with Myers. Hughes couldn't play him and he was disaster playing with Juolevi.
Rathbone is here to stay...if he works on his third period endurance..
Bones..
Bones-cheers.gif

He is almost there. I know he played two night in a row, but I need to see more in the third.
Love this guy so far. Cheers.
By the way, didn't Levi play right D for a shift or two in the third? Hmmm...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
"Babych with a long shot, Potvin had trouble with it. Adams shoots, scores! Greg Adams! Greg Adams! Adams gets the winner! Fourteen seconds into the second overtime. The Vancouver Canucks are GOING to the Stanley Cup FINALS."

A great moment, a great call. One of the eminent highlights of my young hockey fan life.

Completely sapping the moment of all of its gravity. He just couldn't help himself. He had to get his voice in there, even when he had nothing to say. This adds nothing to the broadcast, provides no information. And worse than that, feels absolutely patronizing. I KNOW how big this moment is Tom, I am a fan. I don't need YOU to TELL ME how big this moment is. Let the moment speak for itself. Don't f***ing fansplain it to me. No great sports moment has ever had the f***ing announcer shouting at the audience that it's a great moment. The moment speaks for itself.

And it was always like this. Larscheid would flat out interrupt Shorthouse to scream at you about how big of an event this was. LISTEN TO THIS PLACe. I would love to, Tom, if you would maybe shut the f*** up maybe I could.

Remember Daniel's last goal? (2) Watch: Sedin twins combine for OT goal in Vancouver farewell - YouTube. For me the most significant Canucks moment of the last 5 years. Notice how beautifully silent Shorthouse and Garret were for the entirety of it. They just let it soak in. "Daniel...Let's it go he scores!" Add then that's it. The goal horn, the crowd, I get chills watching it again. Neither Shorthouse nor Garret say a word for two full minutes! They let it breathe. They let you as the fan just take it all in. They let you listen to the PA announcer call the goal. I mean it's just perfect. This is how it should be IMO. The good ones know when not to talk and just let you bathe in the experience.

If this were f***ing Larscheid he would have been screaming and shouting the entire time "WHAT A gREAT MOMENT OMMG THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE LISTEN TO THE CROWd." I am so glad he wasn't there to ruin this one.

A 2006 classic.

Reactions: Ozone

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
MacEwen was legitimately a good project 4th liner and now he just looks like shit

I think the positivity re big mac made sense at the time. Just hasn't worked out and I don't want to get into why

Could he be the like Dale Weise though?

Reactions: Ozone and David71

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

I was at that game perfectly positioned to watch Adams goal go up over the goalies shoulder and in. So, I didn't have to listen to Larscheid. But frankly, I barely remember paying attention to him.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
OEL played very well and showed the kind of command we need in the backend. Has the potential to be as good a defenseman has the team has in many years. Feeling lot better about the trade

Other vets playing well - Pearson (likely stays in the top 6), Horvat, Miller, Garland, Poolman (will not hurt the team playing like this)

As to the younger players/fringe guys

Podkolzin - looked a little nervous and mostly tentative. Like it if he showed a little more foot speed.

Highland - again a very good motor and did create some offense. Like his play this pre-season.

Gadjovich - making a good case for himself. His line with Wooters (playing surprising well) and Lockwood did not look out of place. Be a great line in Abbotsford although I'm not sure Gadjovich makes it thru waivers.

Lockwood - much better tonight. Outstanding in transition. Has NHL wheels

Dowling - had some effective shifts. Good speed and made some good defensive plays. In the conversation.

Woo - mostly solid. Has the skating and smarts to play at this level. Needs some time to figure where and when to press the play and avoid making big mistakes

Joulevi - hung in better with the battering he was getting but knocked to the ice too easily. Showing a lot more determination than in the past and made some decent plays at the offensive blueline. However, must play better in traffic (especially around his net) and not get beat wide as much as he does. At this point, he is not on the team.

Rathbone - given the situation he is solidly on the team.

McEwen - hoped for improvement is just not there. Looks the same as last year where he didn't have the polish to complete plays. Would say, however, he seems more willing to go the body with authority. Lots of try but very little happening here.

Chaisson - too slow. He is not beating out any one in the top 6 and doesn't suit the lower lines

Depietro - let in the one questionable goal but otherwise very good. Stopping most everything he could see. Could see time with the Canucks this year.

Might add that Myers was very poor. Puck seems in his skates all game and lots of he was just golfing his passes. Best Calgary chances came against him. Thought he was the worst defense man (worst player at that) and that includes Joulevi.
You feel a lot better about the OEL trade after 1 games vs Calgary D team? Really? Are serious man? How about you wait for a few months before making such ridiculous statement. Maybe you should raise the bar a little.

These games in pre-season mean nothing for the vets. I guess Louie is a win for Arizona because he scored today. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad