Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 4-2 (Garland, Wouters, Miller, Pearson)

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Rathbone will have ups and downs this year... you'll see some blown coverage now and again, bad gap control, etc but boy o boy ... there's something there. Like its so obvious watching him that all the ingrediants are there. He is 1000% the type of player you bank on going forward... develop him and give some leeway, let him make mistakes.. let him learn from Hughes and OEL... he's going to be a stud.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Rathbone will have ups and downs this year... you'll see some blown coverage now and again, bad gap control, etc but boy o boy ... there's something there. Like its so obvious watching him that all the ingrediants are there. He is 1000% the type of player you bank on going forward... develop him and give some leeway, let him make mistakes.. let him learn from Hughes and OEL... he's going to be a stud.
He might end up a better overall defender than Hughes.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He might end up a better overall defender than Hughes.
Rathbone is physically stronger than Hughes, so in certain situations, such as defending 1 on 1 against bigger guys, Rathbone has the advantage, but if there is one player you want retrieving shoot ins, which happen many times during a game, there is nobody better than Hughes who can quickly retrieve the puck and evade forecheckers. Hughes is under rated in what he can do defensively. But I really like Rathbone. Rathbone has a way better shot than Hughes, so he will likely score more goals.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
yeah, I actually agree with the few that feel Juolevi has been better than Rathbone so far in preseason.

Now I will say I absolutely think Rathbone will be the better player in a couple of years. And Rathbone has been exciting when he's got the puck on his stick. But he has struggled a bit in his own zone so far. Could be a partner thing or whatever, but add in OJ is much better on the PK at this point, and I'd be leaning at OJ over Rathbone to start the season (ignoring the Hughes and Hamonic situation, which might make this all moot).

There's also something to say for a guy going to the AHL and logging 25 minutes as the all-situation horse. Can still be the seventh dman, but the waiver situation, the PK situation, no spot on the PP, and Rathbone only having 16 games as a professional, I don't think it would be bad in any way for Rathbone to start in Abby while Juolevi mans the third pairing/1st PK duo with Myers.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don't understand how people don't get the difference between saying a player will be as good as another player and saying a players style is similar to other players. There is a nuance there to pay attention to.

It was a horrible pick before it was made, it was a horrible pick after it's made, and to this day everything just reinforced that fact that he was a horrible pick.

Putting the name of one of THE greatest d-man along side possibly one of the greatest busts in modern NHL era is laughable to say the least. No, this isn't hind sight - HFers despised the pick almost across the board at the time.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The feeling for those around the team is that Rathbone and Hunt are risers based on performance during camp, scrimmages and pre-season.

Juolevi while he fared OK in the preseason games was being walked repeatedly in scrimmages and that coupled with Green’s comments I think does out him behind the 8-ball. He’s looked at as a faller so far.

I’m taking a good chunk of this from Drance but he’s close to what’s going on and it makes sense. He points out Highmore and MacEwan as well which seems to agree with the 4 or so periods of pre-season hockey I saw.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
It was a horrible pick before it was made, it was a horrible pick after it's made, and to this day everything just reinforced that fact that he was a horrible pick.

Putting the name of one of THE greatest d-man along side possibly one of the greatest busts in modern NHL era is laughable to say the least. No, this isn't hind sight - HFers despised the pick almost across the board at the time.

There you go again, relating pure talent vs style of play. I guess you will never see the nuance there.

And this has nothing to do with how horrible the pick was. I am just talking about the language used to describe a player.

Lidstrom played the game a certain way, others can play the same way and not end up being nearly as good.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm thinking when Keith Tkachuk seemed to weigh like over 300 pounds, he must've had a pretty big man boobs.:sarcasm:

I swear I remember the season after the first lockout, when Keith Tkachuk showed up to Blues camp completely out of shape, the Jeff O'Neill show on CFox calling up the blues and pranking them. I don't remember exactly what was said... something like is your refrigerator running? or did Keith eat it?

Reactions: Hit the post

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
There you go again, relating pure talent vs style of play. I guess you will never see the nuance there.

And this has nothing to do with how horrible the pick was. I am just talking about the language used to describe a player.

Lidstrom played the game a certain way, others can play the same way and not end up being nearly as good.

I understand what you mean, but you can also see why the way it was said looks so awful today, no?

Either way, I hope OJ can prove me wrong, or he can join JV, the ball really is in his court now, there's no more excuses.

Reactions: lousy

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
How Is Podkolzin looking at amp right now?
I would suggest looking at game summary from posters such MS or Orcatown in this thread.

I apologize to others who did a review, your hard work is appreciated.

From my viewing of half the game, I would say that he did not look out of place, but he also didn't really stand out. Nothing to be concerned about though as he's just getting his feet wet. Can't wait to see more of him as he gains gets used to the pace.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
How Is Podkolzin looking at amp right now?
Seems like he plays better when he's paired with better players.
I would legit try him with Petey and Boeser (if Petey was signed and playing some exhibition games). That would also free up Jt Miller to center Garland ... i liked them together last game. ^.^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad