Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 8-5 (Kuzmenko x3, Horvat x2, Pettersson, Miller, Joshua)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So we win a game and Bruce changes the lineup. We get whipped and he keeps the D intact

Makes sense

This is where you need the management group to sit down with the coaching staff to get a better idea of how to handle your personnel. Hoglander and Rathbone need ample playing time to regain their confidence and this can be achieved by putting them in the AHL.

Or maybe they are getting too heavily involved and trying to see what we have in Stillman and Studnika? Then again, OEL needs to sit. Every fan can see he's not right and it will not be corrected by allowing him to play it out.

No matter how you shake it down...questionable roster decisions are being made right now.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

At this point, would much rather trade Bear as the 2nd unit PP. I get why you wouldn't at this point but it's worth a shot. Especially if they aren't going to play Rathbone.

Why even bother having a second unit pp,,that is shit..may as well just play the first unit only..

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's just confusing. Stillman is an ok depth defender but man, there's just nothing that screams "untapped potential" with him. It's classic Benning FO syndrome. Continue playing guys just because they were recently acquired by management regardless of their performance.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Why even bother having a second unit pp,,that is shit..may as well just play the first unit only..

With Rathbone, that unit was so much more impressive than the first unit, sadly.

But overall, I completely agree. Teams really only need to function with a core of one group and rotate out the other players and schemes.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's just confusing. Stillman is an ok depth defender but man, there's just nothing that screams "untapped potential" with him. It's classic Benning FO syndrome. Continue playing guys just because they were recently acquired by management regardless of their performance.

It's really weird because this deployment has been counter to what Allvin and Rutherford have said about Rathbone and Stillman. They called Stillman as a bottom-pairing, #6 guy. Over the summer they were adamant that they wanted Rathbone to get playing time in the NHL.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's really weird because this deployment has been counter to what Allvin and Rutherford have said about Rathbone and Stillman. They called Stillman as a bottom-pairing, #6 guy. Over the summer they were adamant that they wanted Rathbone to get playing time in the NHL.

Management saying one thing and doing the complete opposite is becoming the norm.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i figured the bear trade would cause burroughs to swap to the left side as he played earlier in the year.

it really gets ugly if dermott returns, let alone poolman.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People refuse to accept that sleepy Jim drove the Pittsburgh roster into the ground refusing to rebuild. He won the Cup with Crosby and Malkin and refused to accept they and the roster would age. In addition, the parts he added were we horrible contracts.

He is NOT a guy that knows how to rebuild a team

Pittsburgh has averaged 103 points/season over the past 5 years and have Crosby/Malkin on their team. Why on earth would they have even considered a rebuild?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Management saying one thing and doing the complete opposite is becoming the norm.

Eh, it's been rumoured for a long time that they aren't thrilled with Boudreau. I suspect they purposefully let the coaching staff decide the on-ice roster. I don't see the deployment as a management issue.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

rathbone had a rough camp and start. i think by the time he started finding his feet, management had gotten their teeth into the bear deal and then they just followed through and made it.

i feel like there is no way barring injuries that rathbone, hughes and bear will dress at the same time.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eh, it's been rumoured for a long time that they aren't thrilled with Boudreau. I suspect they purposefully let the coaching staff decide the on-ice roster. I don't see the deployment as a management issue.

Agreed, but saying you want to play Rathbone and then trading for a guy to play above him goes against what they said.

Anyways, I'm not a big Rathbone guy but I really wonder what the plan is for him here this season. I don't think Dermott/Poolman will be back anytime soon but I could see them flipping him with Brisebois to get Rathbone some minutes in Abbotsford.

Reactions: Vector

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
The Spencer Martin era begins, I fell in love with his play during last season. One of the most unique low stances I have seen, ultra aggressive on shooters, and his lateral movement reminds of Bobrovsky (one of the quickest goaltenders).

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Agreed, but saying you want to play Rathbone and then trading for a guy to play above him goes against what they said.

Anyways, I'm not a big Rathbone guy but I really wonder what the plan is for him here this season. I don't think Dermott/Poolman will be back anytime soon but I could see them flipping him with Brisebois to get Rathbone some minutes in Abbotsford.

Grabbing Stillman, or anyone else really, as proven 6/7 with a different skillset than Rathbone makes sense. Never playing Rathbone is the part that seems weird. Especially after Rathbone had a lot of playing time at camp in many different situations and the second a new guy arrives Boudreau plays him immediately.

But yeah, something has to happen with Rathbone. Either they trade him or send him down. I really have no idea what's going to happen.

Reactions: m9

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Intentional sabotage that would intentionally tank an assets value would reflect horribly on this management group. It could be in the realm of possibility though.

To me, it does seem like this management group has little control over the overall direction. There is a thirst to continue with the status quo and win-now mandate. I just wonder how involved Francesco Aquilini is on the day-to-day operations because the verbiage and body language presented by Jim Rutherford seems to suggest a guy that has little control. I have a feeling that there's little appetite by the owner to put big money contracts in the pressbox and it's having a trickledown effect on the roster.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Ethan Bear should even get a look at PP2. OEL is slow as shit and it’s a guaranteed shorthanded odd man rush. If we’re not giving Rathbone a look, give Bear a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad