Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Devils - 6-3 (Horvat x 2, Hunt, Hoglander, Pearson, Lammikko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
“The way we’re playing right now, we don’t feel like we’ll ever lose two in a row. Maybe we will, but we’re feeling really good about our game.” - Quinn Hughes #Canucks

Ummmm anyone wanna tell him…..
You should tweet him.

Be the change.

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks righted the ship after giving up a flock of quality scoring chances in the first half of the game......with some finish and without the brilliance of Demko once again, this game could have produced a different result.

Canucks look to me like they're playing with a bit of nervousness right now.....seem to be looking at the standings too much and squeezing their sticks. There's still 21 games to go. But they're in trouble without Petey, particularly on the pp.

And teams like the Devils with blazing speed up-front, always seem to give the Canucks fits. Myers and OEL looked like 747's trying to out-maneuver fighter jets at times. But any win at this time of year you take.

Winnable games coming up against the Wings and Sabres.....two teams that beat the Canucks when they were the road team earlier this season. No easy games in the NHL, as we saw from Wings effort against Oilers last night; and the Sabres sweeping the Leafs in a two game set.

Reactions: quat

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Terrible take; however, I don't browse these forums much and I assume you're a satire account?

The actual f***? It’s not a “take” lol. Google NHL stats. He’s LITERALLY not in the top 15 in any goalie stat. That’s just a fact , not an opinion

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
By stats he is a top ten considering the teams other top 10s are on he deserves more credit just checked nhl stats he is #10

Ohhhh so you’re doing your own adjusted stats. I see. Like grading on a bell curve. Cool !

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How good is Jack Hughes... sphicter inducing talent whenever he had the puck on stick. So fun to watch.
The Lammikko line hung in really tough vs a tough matchup. Good to see them rewarded with a goal.

Such an effective game by Schenn... I don't think I've seen a cleaner game from him.. clean reception of passes, crisp puck movement, good decisions with the puck.

Horvat has been quietly been racking up points and many nights dragging his wingers along... quietly relative to how loud Miller's play has been. But Miller's play shouldn't depress how Horvat has really stepped up his game recently.

Miller was tremendous... deserved more than the mere 3 assists he had... Are we becoming spoiled with this guy's play? Where I'm like ho hum 3 point night? So good.

Garland.. Hoglander... they play more games like this and they'll earn a greater presence on the scoresheet eventually...

Only thing not to like... Chaisson had a better game than Boeser.

Reactions: quat

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Long post, TDLR: I don't think the defense is too slow overall and I think that while Schenn has proven to be a decent NHL player, he doesn't fit the Canucks style going forward. But at the same time, his skillset is hard to replace on this roster. It's a bit of a conundrum.

I've been thinking quite a bit about Schenn as I think he is a surprisingly good asset and for a while I thought they'd trade him at the deadline. But given the run they've been on it seems like they might not be able to trade him this season. Schenn obviously brings a physical game that not many other Canucks can bring and his positioning has been pretty great and the basis for his "resurgence". His passing is ok when he gets it off, but he really excels when keeping his game simple.

That brings me to why I think they'll trade him and the short version is his lack of both skating and his pace of play. Too often he handles the puck longer than he should and gets in trouble when a forechecker closes him down. Often this is when he has trouble picking the puck off the boards, receives a hard pass which he bobbles or takes an extra half-second to control, and sometimes he just takes too long to survey and make a decision. It's one thing if Hughes holds onto the puck because he can elude forecheckers with his skating and handling, but Schenn plays best as a one or two-touch player and that's not consistent. I think his positioning and physicality (particularly at the net-front) make him a good NHL asset, but I'm not sure the speed he plays at matches the style the team wants going forward. When Boudreau and management talk about wanting more speed, its Schenn I mostly think about. The problem is the Canucks don't have many other players with that physical skillset and the way this back end is constructed makes this a tough situation to rectify. If their other defenders (other than Hughes) were better than average skaters this wouldn't be such a problem and he'd be fine as a steady third pair guy.

Part of why I've been thinking about this is because I was hoping Hamonic would get back to a high enough level and take over on Hughes right side but the last couple of games has shown that hasn't happened and may not this season. If Hamonic could do that it would make management's job a heck of a lot easier by building Hamonic's asset value back up or allow them to trade Schenn for a pick that would help give them ammunition to reshape the team. I reckon they might even get a 2nd or 3rd for Schenn given he is on an almost league min cap hit and has shown he can still play dependable mins.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
GAA is not a goalie stat
that is a team stat mostly

GAA is an average , wins aren’t. If you play 90% of the games you’re going to have more wins than if you played 60%.

You knew that tho … some people get so triggered …. I’m a fan of TD35. He’s just not a top 5 goalie.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
GAA is an average , wins aren’t. If you play 90% of the games you’re going to have more wins than if you played 60%.

You knew that tho … some people get so triggered …. I’m a fan of TD35. He’s just not a top 5 goalie.

Uhh... If you play on a shittier team or face more high danger chances, a GAA or even SV% can be misleading.

For 5 on 5 stats: high danger scoring chances faced, Demko is 2nd in the league, despite that hes second only to Shesterkin in GSAA (goals saved above average). Among goalies who have played 1000 minutes: For High Danger GSAA hes 7th in the league, and is 9th in the league overall in high danger save % (which is absurd since he faces so much more of those shots than anyone other than Hellebuyck (who ranks 25th in that measure). 5 on 5 he is 4th in save percentage at .935 and has a 2.00 GAA. The PK has really let him down though.

Advanced stats CAN be a crapshoot, but for goaltenders they tend to be quite important, especially since they are in a dependent position (the defense determines the quality of shots faced in almost all cases). Is he top 5? It depends how much you weigh different stats. I dont think one can question whether hes a top 10 goalie, especially among the true starters who play a high workload of games.

The stats 100% show that the guy is left out to dry more than almost any goalie in the league especially on the PK, and despite that has saved more expected goals than anyone other than Shesterkin. Lets actually appreciate what we have here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad