Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
It took almost 13 minutes for the Coyotes to get any good chance, and it was over about 15 seconds later. That's the defense that we're looking for the rest of the way.

Our offensive pressure was excellent too, it could of easily been 3 or 4 instead of 2, Mike Smith just did a good job (despite being a huge *****) and was the reason Phoenix was really in this game tonight.

This is one of the best performances by the Nucks this year, it will only get better once we have Booth back on the fourth line.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 39m
Mike Smith: "We didn't push back enough early and chased the game. They (Canucks) go to the net hard and make it pretty hard on you."

Thats what you have to do when playing playoff hockey.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Essentially, yes.

I'm not complaining about the winger depth here. Could it be better? Yes, sure. But it's really not bad, if players play up to potential.

But i am pointing out that calling Hansen a real 'top-6 forward' is a pretty big reach.

I'm extremely happy to have a 3rd liner like Hansen available to this team...but he is what he is. I don't understand this fascination with trying to find ways to classify him as a bonafide 'top-6 forward'. Why can't people just accept him for what he is...an elite 3rd liner with brief flashes of top-6 play here and there?

he is a second line caliber player, there is no debating that, I don't know how you can argue that he isn't. I think your expectations for a "real top-6 forward" is unrealistic. He has been improving almost every year,and just because he isn't a big name doesn't mean he isn't deserving of the title of a top-6 forward.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
he is a second line caliber player, there is no debating that, I don't know how you can argue that he isn't. I think your expectations for a "real top-6 forward" is unrealistic. He has been improving almost every year,and just because he isn't a big name doesn't mean he isn't deserving of the title of a top-6 forward.
Trade Andrew ebbett and Tom sestito to Pittsburgh for Sidney Crosby. I think Pittsburgh needs to add, IMO

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 39m
Mike Smith: "We didn't push back enough early and chased the game. They (Canucks) go to the net hard and make it pretty hard on you."

Thats what you have to do when playing playoff hockey.

More of that. More.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think there is debating that. We're talking about a borderline top-6 player who had a hot stretch at the right time in a shortened season. There are some players where you can project this year out to an 82 game season and expect that to hold true...I don't think Hansen is one of those.

He's right on the fringes, and on plenty of teams, yes he would be a top-6 player. But i've said it a half-dozen times already...my expectations for a 'top-6 forward' here are not 'average'. 'Average Teams' don't win a lot of cups.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think there is debating that. We're talking about a borderline top-6 player who had a hot stretch at the right time in a shortened season. There are some players where you can project this year out to an 82 game season and expect that to hold true...I don't think Hansen is one of those.

He's right on the fringes, and on plenty of teams, yes he would be a top-6 player. But i've said it a half-dozen times already...my expectations for a 'top-6 forward' here are not 'average'. 'Average Teams' don't win a lot of cups.

ferroid was nice enough to post the top scoring wingers of each of the top team.

Anaheim's Top 4 Scoring Wingers:

Corey Perrey @ 31 points in 36 games
Bobby Ryan @ 28 Points in 40 games
Teemu Selanne @ 22 points in 40 games
Kyle Palmieri @ 16 Points in 35 games

Chicago's Top 4 Scoring Wingers:

Patrick Kane @ 46 points in 38 games
Marian Hossa @ 23 points in 31 games
Brandon Saad @ 23 points in 37 games
Bryan Bickell @ 20 points in 38 games

Vancouver's Top 4 Scoring Wingers:

Daniel Sedin @ 33 points in 39 games
Alex Burrows @ 22 points in 39 games
Jannik Hansen @ 22 points in 38 games
Mason Raymond @ 19 points in 37 games

Seems like he is on pace with the league's elite in terms of a top 6 winger. I'm not arguing that he is a high end second liner, but he is a legitimate top 6 winger. Unless all of these teams are lacking a top 6 talent. Considering our centre depth now with a high end second liner playing third line centre, I think our forwards will be the least of our problems going forward in terms of talent. I am more afraid of our largely underperforming D core.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
As for the game, a couple comments:

-Thought Ballard actually had a really nice game. Limited role, but played very well, especially for being on his off-side.

-Raymond + Kesler actually showing some flashes of the old chemistry they had back when Raymond had his 'career year' and Kesler was interested in passing. When the pair of them take their blinders off...their speed is a challenge for teams.

-I still think it makes more sense to swap Hansen and Kassian on the RW. Let Hansen play with Raymond and Kesler to form a strong defensive unit, enhance that speed factor. Let Kassian play with the nifty puckhandler in Roy and add some extra beef to that line. Roy is also showing that he can be very slick with the puck in the cycle game where Kassian should excel.

-Kassian still struggling a bit. He's young, shows flashes here and there, but as a whole...a lot of plays die with him right now, tonight there were a number of examples, and he generally isn't strong defensively. I'm hoping he has a bit of a 'coming out party' come playoffs, as much as anyone. But it's just far too infrequently that those flashes show up imo. Too often looks like a slightly bigger Dale Weise out there offensively. I'd take a chance on that Higgins+Roy combo igniting him, before i'd expect Kesler to get Kassian going. With Booth out, Kassian is going to be an important player for us...hopefully he can get it in gear.

I thought he had a period and a half of a good game. Started turning it over when he looked to dish coming out of the corners. His defensive coverage and play has been far better than before. At least he's looking for his man even when he collapses.

I agree with the Roy comment though I would love to see what he can do with Kes a couple more games vice versa with Hansen. Higgy and Roy's instant chemistry is just luck IMO. Not all trades just pan out that easily.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

I'd love to see TSN submit a copyright claim on the Canucks.

Wow, love how we're crashing the net on every scoring chance, haven't seen us have success with that in awhile

reminiscent of the Hawks against us

hope we can continue to do that against other teams

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
ferroid was nice enough to post the top scoring wingers of each of the top team.

Seems like he is on pace with the league's elite in terms of a top 6 winger. I'm not arguing that he is a high end second liner, but he is a legitimate top 6 winger. Unless all of these teams are lacking a top 6 talent. Considering our centre depth now with a high end second liner playing third line centre, I think our forwards will be the least of our problems going forward in terms of talent. I am more afraid of our largely underperforming D core.

The bolded is key though. 'On Pace'. I love Hansen, if i were building an ideal team with a great 3rd line Winger who has the ability to move up in a pinch...Hansen would be on it. But i'm just far from convinced that Hansen's scoring 'pace' for this year is projectable. There are a lot of players who can put up a ~30-40 game stretch of great production. We've seen extended 'hot streaks' from Hansen before...he has those flashes. I just don't think it's the sort of thing where you could realistically expect Hansen to produce at that pace over the course of an 82 game season. I guess we will see though. And with the Kesler/Roy setup here now...it's extremely difficult to tell which is 2nd/3rd line even, and i absolutely LOVE that. It's what i've been banging the table for, for years. Great scoring center depth can make 3 scoring lines as dangerous as any team in the league.

And i agree, the underperforming D-Corps is my biggest gripe with this team right now as well. It's definitely not Hansen. He's done more than his share. I reiterate, i'm not hating on the guy.

Our defensive chemistry is still all out of whack right now though.

Tonight was another example of Hamhuis trying to do too much...more than he's comfortable doing. And Garrison playing solid positional defence, but relying on Hamhuis to move things along. And Bieksa+Edler is still just a ticking time bomb every time they're on the ice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad