Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, we only got one goal on 41 shots, but the goals and points will DEF come if we keep playing like we did today. The last two games are the kind of Canucks that I signed up for, man. ^_^

I am so glad we have Roy and now Kesler back, if this is the effect they're having. It's no coincidence that we're playing like this all of a sudden.

agreed
nice to see them dominating again, even if against weaker teams (though they didnt exactly dominate Calgary)

key will be the D ....nice to see Edler flying around last night, and Garrison has taken a big step up these past few games. Also, Ballard was a nice addition and Alberts was not bad.

If everyone plays to potential this postseason could be very interesting.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hansen out-produces a lot of legitimate 2nd line players around the league, hell even a good chunk of players playing 1st line minutes. It's the PP that seperates his point totals from top guys really. But I don't think there is any usefulness to putting labels on players. 2nd liner, 3rd liner, whatever, he plays a big role on this team and does a good job at it, whatever you want to label him as.

As for the game, Schneider played really well in the first period I thought. Phoenix had some good chances and Schneider confidently turned them aside, (2 on 1 on Vrbata comes to mind) setting the table for the Canucks to play their possession game, get some legs and out-skate the Coyotes. Liked the way they were skating and playing as a team. Having Kelser and Roy in the line-up is another stratosphere from where this team was 10 days ago even. Brings a lot of balance and every line can do damage.

Alflives*

Is Milan Lucic a top 6 forward? Because he mostly uses his size, strength and work ethic to get his points. He doesn't have great hockey IQ, his offensive vision is limited, his shot is no better than Hansen's, he has no 'skill', etc.

Hansen doesn't have size but he has speed and he has better hockey IQ.

Iginla has 1 more point than Hansen. Neal, Kunitz and Dupuis are completely useless without their top 2 centres. They have a combined 2 goals in the games that Malkin and/or Crosby are out of the line-up.

Every single argument in this thread seems to rest on how these players look or their name recognition rather than actual on-ice results over the past 2 years. I'm sorry if that doesn't sway my opinion.

On the Canucks Lucic would be a top 3 forward, playing with the Sedins. He is a physical force not equaled in the league. Plus, he can play 20 minutes every game, with the team's top forwards. The biggest mistake the Canucks made in the last 10 years was not drafting him, when they had the chance. With him along-side the Sedins, there would have been at least one Cup Parade to celebrate in Vancouver. It's an absolute shame Lucic does not play for the Canucks.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I have an issue when people only use even-strength numbers to help someone like Hansen's case. Part of being a top six or even top nine player is the ability to play on the PP and put up points , and Hansen just isn't very effective out there as of now. He's a bargain and a very good player but I think all of his numbers need to be included, not just even-strength.

As I said above: "Even if we include PP production, he's up there with guys like Iginla, Gaborik, Callahan, Selanne, Saad, Turris, Franzen, Clarkson, Eriksson, Pavelski, Richards, etc."

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
As I said above: "Even if we include PP production, he's up there with guys like Iginla, Gaborik, Callahan, Selanne, Saad, Turris, Franzen, Clarkson, Eriksson, Pavelski, Richards, etc."

In a season where Hansen is having a career year and many of those players are having a down year. That doesn't mean he's at all of the same calibre of most of the players you mentioned.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Just wanted to say I find Mike Smith and his antics disgusting, I wish he has the stones to to drop the gloves but no, he'd rather take cheap shots on Burrows with his blocker.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Canucks really dominated from start to finish which is encouraging. They looked great tonight.....attacking with speed crisp passes and playing an up tempo game mot giving themselves a chance to screw it up in their own end. The finish not quite there but the efffort and possession play was.

My oh my were the refs letting everything go. I counted a good 4 hits by kassian that should have been interference. Its ok against a team like phoenix tonight but assuming they're gonna continue calling the games like this in the playoffs a team like LA that doesn't give you any space is gonna be tough.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
In a season where Hansen is having a career year and many of those players are having a down year. That doesn't mean he's at all of the same calibre of most of the players you mentioned.

He finished 5 points behind Mike Richards last season (and would've been about 8 points behind if Richards played the full season). That was with Hansen playing 3rd line minutes all year and with almost no PP time.

You don't think Hansen's career year has something to do with him getting more ice-time and him being relied on offensively for the first time in his career? Things do change. Richards hasn't been more than a 45-50 point player since he left the East and meanwhile Hansen has improved to the point where he's now on pace for 48 points this season without needing PP time to do it. I, personally, don't really care how he gets there.

Last edited:

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
He finished 5 points behind Mike Richards last season (and would've been about 8 points behind if Richards played the full season). That was with Hansen playing 3rd line minutes all year and with almost no PP time.

You don't think Hansen's career year has something to do with him getting more ice-time and him being relied on offensively for the first time in his career?

Richards is elite defensively and has been proven to be good offensively in the past, and raised his offensive game to that level in the playoffs.

Hansen has no such history, apart from a brief 20-game hot streak this season.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
With 3 minutes left in the game:

EDDY: "I don't want to say the "S" word and jinx it, but if Schneider does get one tonight he'll be tied for the league lead.

Mrs EDDY: "What's the "S" word?"

Eddy jr.: "It stands for $#!% Mom; and I don't know why Dad can't say it, he says it all the time."

:laugh:

(good thing shutout doesn't start with an F.)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

EDDY: "I don't want to say the "S" word and jinx it, but if Schneider does get one tonight he'll be tied for the league lead.

Eddy jr.: "It stands for $#!% Mom; and I don't know why Dad can't say it, he says it all the time."

:laugh: Awesome.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

:handclap:

How old is Eddy Jr.?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
On the Canucks Lucic would be a top 3 forward, playing with the Sedins. He is a physical force not equaled in the league. Plus, he can play 20 minutes every game, with the team's top forwards. The biggest mistake the Canucks made in the last 10 years was not drafting him, when they had the chance. With him along-side the Sedins, there would have been at least one Cup Parade to celebrate in Vancouver. It's an absolute shame Lucic does not play for the Canucks.

Not sure he really would, not trying to deminish his talent, but it is a matter of fit. He may get spot time with the twins, but I think he lacks the most important two things Bur brings. Puck retrieval, and hockey IQ. Those are two of the biggest assets Bur brings to those two. He understands how they play, and he can go get lose pucks and keep the plays alive.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
hard to believe there's only 9 games left in the regular season

if this team can stay healthy, there's serious potential here with the way they're starting to round into form and the fact that schneider is playing on a different level

usually it's routine for the canucks to wrap up the division by the all-star break and endure a mental grind into the playoffs...this shortened season might be the best thing that could've happened for the club's chances

Alflives*

Not sure he really would, not trying to deminish his talent, but it is a matter of fit. He may get spot time with the twins, but I think he lacks the most important two things Bur brings. Puck retrieval, and hockey IQ. Those are two of the biggest assets Bur brings to those two. He understands how they play, and he can go get lose pucks and keep the plays alive.

Lucic would be to the twins what Clark Gillis was to Trottier and Bossy. The Twins would not have had to put up with the number of cheap-shots over the last 4 seasons with Lucic beside them. Lucic is the perfect fit for those two. Burrows is a perfect fit with Kesler. Although, Burrows is so good he could play any place, and be a plus player.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Hansen was actually a middle of the pack 2nd line player with his production last year, but this thread has too much focus on Hansen alone. You have to consider Hansen in the context of the team.

Overall, Higgins, Hanson, Raymond and Booth are middle of the pack 2nd line players. To have elite talent on your second line, you essentially have to have tanked for a prolonged time, or you have to get lucky. And it creates holes elsewhere in the lineup once salary is factored in (eg, after ELC). Kassian last little stretch hasn't looked out of place in the Booth hole. He won't produce at the level of the other players at this point, but he does a pretty good job with puck possession, and he creates space for others.

With Roy and Kesler playing, the Canucks have two solid second lines. The wingers aren't elite or anything, but they're legit decent second liners. What makes the lines solid second lines is that the centers are first line, or at least borderline first line talent.

There's been issues with the team this year, but playing most of the year with only one legit top 9 center will do that to you. Having weak centers makes everyone look worse. Notice how the defencemen are starting to look better now? That comes with proper support from a center. Yes, Hamhuis still looks out of sorts, but everyone seems to be taking positive steps at least.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Richards is elite defensively and has been proven to be good offensively in the past, and raised his offensive game to that level in the playoffs.

Hansen has no such history, apart from a brief 20-game hot streak this season.

Hansen is elite defensively as well. Also he makes 1.35 million. Dollar for dollar he is much better than Richards. Besides the arguement is not that Hansen is better than Richards and others it is that he is producing at the same level as those players. Playoff production of Richards has been great, one only can hope Hansen can produce in the playoffs given an offensive center. Which he has never had in the playoffs before.

Another point do people here really blame Hansen for our PP woes? He retrieves the puck and stands infront of the net. I hardly think he is the one to blame especially when the reason he was puck on the powerplay was because it was struggling in the first place.

Alflives*

Hansen is elite defensively as well. Also he makes 1.35 million. Dollar for dollar he is much better than Richards. Besides the arguement is not that Hansen is better than Richards and others it is that he is producing at the same level as those players. Playoff production of Richards has been great, one only can hope Hansen can produce in the playoffs given an offensive center. Which he has never had in the playoffs before.

Another point do people here really blame Hansen for our PP woes? He retrieves the puck and stands infront of the net. I hardly think he is the one to blame especially when the reason he was puck on the powerplay was because it was struggling in the first place.

I really like Hansen as a player, especially in a capped systen, where he is paid only 1.35 mil. What is his contract status going forward?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hansen was actually a middle of the pack 2nd line player with his production last year, but this thread has too much focus on Hansen alone. You have to consider Hansen in the context of the team.

Overall, Higgins, Hanson, Raymond and Booth are middle of the pack 2nd line players. To have elite talent on your second line, you essentially have to have tanked for a prolonged time, or you have to get lucky. And it creates holes elsewhere in the lineup once salary is factored in (eg, after ELC). Kassian last little stretch hasn't looked out of place in the Booth hole. He won't produce at the level of the other players at this point, but he does a pretty good job with puck possession, and he creates space for others.

With Roy and Kesler playing, the Canucks have two solid second lines. The wingers aren't elite or anything, but they're legit decent second liners. What makes the lines solid second lines is that the centers are first line, or at least borderline first line talent.

There's been issues with the team this year, but playing most of the year with only one legit top 9 center will do that to you. Having weak centers makes everyone look worse. Notice how the defencemen are starting to look better now? That comes with proper support from a center. Yes, Hamhuis still looks out of sorts, but everyone seems to be taking positive steps at least.

I tend to agree with you that our second line wingers aren't elite. But we have Raymond, Hansen, Higgins and Booth (when healthy) and throw in Kassian. That's a lot of depth and means that we have elite third line wingers as at least one of Raymond, Hansen and Higgins will play on the third.
Also, in looking at the production of those second liners I wonder what their numbers would have been with Roy and Kesler in at center instead of Ebbett and whomever. It should be interesting to see what they do in this final stretch.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I really like Hansen as a player, especially in a capped systen, where he is paid only 1.35 mil. What is his contract status going forward?

Makes the same next year, then he's a UFA. He took about half of what he deserved on the current deal, then improved offensively. It's a ridiculous sweetheart deal.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
hard to believe there's only 9 games left in the regular season

if this team can stay healthy, there's serious potential here with the way they're starting to round into form and the fact that schneider is playing on a different level

usually it's routine for the canucks to wrap up the division by the all-star break and endure a mental grind into the playoffs...this shortened season might be the best thing that could've happened for the club's chances

This is the silver lining in the dark cloud of an out of shape, early season form Kesler in the lineup as well. We make much of the guy's inability to play his style without accruing 100 niggling injuries by the time the playoffs roll around. This time he's going to have 10 games of wear on him, instead of 82. You'd like to think that could make a difference.

Naturally this relies on him not breaking anything in the next 10 games, which I understand is a dodgy proposition.

Makes the same next year, then he's a UFA. He took about half of what he deserved on the current deal, then improved offensively. It's a ridiculous sweetheart deal.

Reminiscent of Burrows at 2.0, yes. Kudos goes to the management team for a lot of really glowing deals. Other than Luongo, our only bad contracts are ones we've traded for. Almost everyone else is playing at or well below market value.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Lucic would be to the twins what Clark Gillis was to Trottier and Bossy. The Twins would not have had to put up with the number of cheap-shots over the last 4 seasons with Lucic beside them. Lucic is the perfect fit for those two. Burrows is a perfect fit with Kesler. Although, Burrows is so good he could play any place, and be a plus player.

He would be used the same way Kassian has been used with the twins. They don't always need protecting, and they are and would be much better producers with Bur. The styles just mesh much better.

There is a lot less need for the Mcsorely's of the world now, and I am not trying to compare the two, but if Wayne played today, I am not sure he would have Marty riding shotgun. Yes, as I conceded on my very first post of the matter, at times we would put them together, but not always.

Alflives*

Thanks for that information. That's an excellent deal for the Canucks. If the team could buy out (or trade) some dollars over the summer - Booth, Ballard, Luongo - then maybe there would be enough to re-sign Roy? Having 3 top centers is nice.

Alflives*

He would be used the same way Kassian has been used with the twins. They don't always need protecting, and they are and would be much better producers with Bur. The styles just mesh much better.

There is a lot less need for the Mcsorely's of the world now, and I am not trying to compare the two, but if Wayne played today, I am not sure he would have Marty riding shotgun. Yes, as I conceded on my very first post of the matter, at times we would put them together, but not always.

Gretzky played mostly with Semenko, and Lucic is a much better hockey player than Semenko. Although, I do agree that having flexibility in the line-up is an advantage for the coach. When needed, Burrows and Lucic could move up and down the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad