Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blackhawks - 4-1 (Dickinson, Pearson, Boeser, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not cancel culture; just TV and broadcasting professionalism.

Catch phrases like yours usually come from the uneducated.

Let's all try to be better.

This and it’s just not a thing you do. He’s well aware, and Hirsch quickly said how supportive Shorthouse has been, of Hirsch’s mental health struggles and took offense to the joke.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I've never seen a powerplay that doesn't.. like.. set up shots? It's as if they think they'll register a goal with 1 successful zone entry and 6 completed passes.

Millers move is like the little dipper to the McDavid big dipper move. Where he'll actually leave the zone to gain more speed and then... well.. shoot or set up Drai (Petey/Boeser) once the D is forced to.. well.. move out of position.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
wait why are we talking about social media and twitter mobs?

i mean, if i'm shorthouse maybe i just don't want people to think i tease my coworker who once tried to commit suicide about his mental health issues because i don't want people thinking i'm an asshole? feel like it would have played out in exactly the same way at, say, an office christmas party with no cameras around.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only reason it even drew that kind of reaction from Shorthouse is fear of the social media mob, not the actual comment or Hirsch, like I doubt that would have phased him off air.

Even ignoring any type of mob reaction or whatever, it's still very reasonable to be upset that someone is claiming on air on a pretty major broadcast that you mock them for their mental health struggles.

It's kind of weird to me how many people on here seem to think that the only reason one might not want to be wrongly outed publicly as a terrible person is that the internet might get mad at you.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Not cancel culture; just TV and broadcasting professionalism.

Catch phrases like yours usually come from the uneducated.

Let's all try to be better.

Yes, not cancel culture... just culture. Society in any period of time has accepted norms for the times. Over time, accepted norms change, and evolve. Using the word, "nuts" in reference to someone struggling with a mental issue is no longer an accepted norm for this time. Don't agree with an accepted norm? Going to step over the line of an accepted norms? Time and place are important considerations for a variety of reasons. That's called tact. Some people have more tact than others. Hirsh doesn't seem to have a lot of it. Not very socially polished, which is fine, but his job involves public speaking to a far ranging target market held by a single thread of being Canucks fans. I'm sure lots of nuts love the Canucks, as do lots of people who treat nuts. No good can come from that comment. Probably not the time and place for socially unacceptable humour. Regardless, no matter what the words were, if I'm being attributed to having said something I didn't say, that irks me, personally... I find it annoying. I also thought Shorthouse's response was fine. He was assertive, but polite... "Please don't do that". Fair enough. I don't get the impression Shorthouse was upset. More annoyed, and to me, I think that was an appropriate response for Hirsh not saying the most tactful of things. I think he'll be apologizing in a blog post or something in a day or two, and that will be that.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
wait why are we talking about social media and twitter mobs?

i mean, if i'm shorthouse maybe i just don't want people to think i tease my coworker about his mental health issues because i don't want people thinking i'm an asshole? feel like it would have played out in exactly the same way at, say, an office christmas party with no cameras around.

100% my thinking. It was so stern and fast. Shorthouse was offended, and by Hirsch’s own quick recanting, with good reason.

I just can’t believe it was said. I’ve heard so many absolutely stupid, sexist, racist, things across so many sports, and this is the one that my brain can’t comprehend.

Reactions: vancityluongo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
But anyways.. We Won!

+:
500 thru 5 on the road. Even in the key stat (Wins-Regulation Losses)
Even GDiff.
1-0 vs the west.
Top 9 falling into place... Miss Motte.

Crack the Kraken..

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yes, not cancel culture... just culture. Society in any period of time has accepted norms for the times. Over time, accepted norms change, and evolve. Using the word, "nuts" in reference to someone struggling with a mental issue is no longer an accepted norm for this time. Don't agree with an accepted norm? Going to step over the line of an accepted norms? Time and place are important considerations for a variety of reasons. That's called tact. Some people have more tact than others. Hirsh doesn't seem to have a lot of it. Not very socially polished, which is fine, but his job involves public speaking to a far ranging target market held by a single thread of being Canucks fans. I'm sure lots of nuts love the Canucks, as do lots of people who treat nuts. No good can come from that comment. Probably not the time and place for socially unacceptable humour. Regardless, no matter what the words were, if I'm being attributed to having said something I didn't say, that irks me, personally... I find it annoying. I also thought Shorthouse's response was fine. He was assertive, but polite... "Please don't do that". Fair enough. I don't get the impression Shorthouse was upset. More annoyed, and to me, I think that was an appropriate response for Hirsh not saying the most tactful of things. I think he'll be apologizing in a blog post or something in a day or two.
question? answer? thoughts? lol

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yes, not cancel culture... just culture. Society in any period of time has accepted norms for the times. Over time, accepted norms change, and evolve. Using the word, "nuts" in reference to someone struggling with a mental issue is no longer an accepted norm for this time. Don't agree with an accepted norm? Going to step over the line of an accepted norms? Time and place are important considerations for a variety of reasons. That's called tact. Some people have more tact than others. Hirsh doesn't seem to have a lot of it. Not very socially polished, which is fine, but his job involves public speaking to a far ranging target market held by a single thread of being Canucks fans. I'm sure lots of nuts love the Canucks, as do lots of people who treat nuts. No good can come from that comment. Probably not the time and place for socially unacceptable humour. Regardless, no matter what the words were, if I'm being attributed to having said something I didn't say, that irks me, personally... I find it annoying. I also thought Shorthouse's response was fine. He was assertive, but polite... "Please don't do that". Fair enough. I don't get the impression Shorthouse was upset. More annoyed, and to me, I think that was an appropriate response for Hirsh not saying the most tactful of things. I think he'll be apologizing in a blog post or something in a day or two.
I appreciate your comments...
Hirsch, at least in my thoughts, is a nice dude. He is not a broadcaster.

I have struggled myself, and I would not consider it OK to have a few beers and bullshit on television.
I hear you.
But, our thoughts and how we behave on televison is a different story.
Full stop.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm struggling to get over this. Can't believe he said this and tried to tie Shorthouse into it on live television. Like, I can't even think about the game at all.

I don't know Hirsch well enough, but I have come across people suffering from mental illness who talks like that. Would say something that to me is really awkward and laugh at something that I didn't find funny. Don't think they mean anything by it though.

I can't tell if Shorty was mad and I think Hirsch realized the faux pas.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yes, not cancel culture... just culture. Society in any period of time has accepted norms for the times. Over time, accepted norms change, and evolve. Using the word, "nuts" in reference to someone struggling with a mental issue is no longer an accepted norm for this time. Don't agree with an accepted norm? Going to step over the line of an accepted norms? Time and place are important considerations for a variety of reasons. That's called tact. Some people have more tact than others. Hirsh doesn't seem to have a lot of it. Not very socially polished, which is fine, but his job involves public speaking to a far ranging target market held by a single thread of being Canucks fans. I'm sure lots of nuts love the Canucks, as do lots of people who treat nuts. No good can come from that comment. Probably not the time and place for socially unacceptable humour. Regardless, no matter what the words were, if I'm being attributed to having said something I didn't say, that irks me, personally... I find it annoying. I also thought Shorthouse's response was fine. He was assertive, but polite... "Please don't do that". Fair enough. I don't get the impression Shorthouse was upset. More annoyed, and to me, I think that was an appropriate response for Hirsh not saying the most tactful of things. I think he'll be apologizing in a blog post or something in a day or two, and that will be that.
Boom.

I quote you again.

get to your point earlier my friend! haha
well done

Reactions: I in the Eye

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I appreciate your comments...
Hirsch, at least in my thoughts, is a nice dude. He is not a broadcaster.

I have struggled myself, and I would not consider it OK to have a few beers and bullshit on television.
I hear you.
But, our thoughts and how we behave on televison is a different story.
Full stop.

I agree... Seems like a good dude. I get what he was maybe trying to do, self depreciating humor. In the right time and place, it would be said, have a few chuckles amongst friends, and that's that. Here, it didn't work.
To me, some problems are unavoidable... but some are created. This was a created problem through an ill-timed socially unacceptable attempt at humor. A television broadcaster can't be doing that too many times in a career, or the career will be short! IMO, joke about ANYTHING in a comedy club... everyone who goes there knows what they are getting into... but from there, tact!

I hope you're doing ok with your own struggles. Take care and hopefully sooner rather than later we'll get a team that can help distract from the throws of everyday life for a few hours here and there... instead of one that contributes to it!!

Reactions: Vector

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I don't know Hirsch well enough, but I have come across people suffering from mental illness who talks like that. Would say something that to me is really awkward and laugh at something that I didn't find funny. Don't think they mean anything by it though.

It comes from a lot of embarrassing things. Mental illness is just but one.
It comes from someone used to making mistakes, and quickly making up for it. It deserves our attention and awareness.

And our respect.

Reactions: F A N

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I agree... Seems like a good dude. I get what he was maybe trying to do, self depreciating humor. In the right time and place, it would be said, have a few chuckles amongst friends, and that's that. Here, it didn't work.
To me, some problems are unavoidable... but some are created. This was a created problem through an ill-timed socially unacceptable attempt at humor. A television broadcaster can't be doing that too many times in a career, or the career will be short! IMO, joke about ANYTHING in a comedy club... everyone who goes there knows what they are getting into... but from there, tact!

I hope you're doing ok with your own struggles. Take care and hopefully sooner rather than later we'll get a team that can help distract from the throws of everyday life for a few hours here and there... instead of one that contributes to it!!
Well said.
As I embraced psychology when I was younger, I remain ... happy.
I see what you are doing... love it!!!
*insert own* gif

Reactions: I in the Eye

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good effort by the boys tonight. Some random thoughts:

Demko is so bubbly.

It seems that the Canucks D pairings are developing some chemistry. OEL looked efficient again. Can see why he has put up points in his career. Really smart in the offensive zone. Myers have settled in as the primary puck carrier in that pairing. He's been playing with a lot of confidence when the puck is on his stick. And what a difference having Hughes in the lineup makes. Poolman seems to be a good fit alongside Hughes. Burroughs with the straight left catching Stilman coming in won the fight. Rathbone is in a good situation I think. Hawks could really use a prime Keith rather than Jones.

Was Petey playing tonight? Didn't really notice him. Pods didn't play tonight. :(

Miller is playing like a vet that settle things down. Good work on the PK tonight. Horvat dominated the faceoff circle. Lammikko can't win one. Pearson has permanently lost a step but he is contributing. Chiasson is actually playing as well as can be expected in limited minutes. Hoglander and Garland are pretty consistent players. Dickinson can rip it. Highmore was almost as noticeable as Gaudette's absence. :sarcasm: I actually think the 4th line can play a bit more. It's a long season. At this rate, Toews shouldn't be on Team Canada.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Oel has been a rock, hughes, Garland and Hogs have been consistently good,

the rest of the team has been a mess and it can’t be the entire roster gone bad

this team is a reflection of incompetent coaching

how possibly can people be happy with 500 when you look at the teams we have played? Its very possible 4 of the five teams we played will not be playoff teams

it hasn’t happened for 5 years so don’t expect an overnight system to be implemented and we just had camp!!! Its going to be a rude awakening when we start playing the big boys

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What the hell is going on in here.

I didn’t watch very much of this game. Nice to finally get a win. Did Pettersson play any better?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Ugh.... I hate to say it but this team reminds me of the Maple Leafs teams from 2008-2014. Mediocre. No structure, questionable coaching with Ron Wilson/Randy Carlye, bad defensively and just plain frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Nucker101

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
What the hell is going on in here.

I didn’t watch very much of this game. Nice to finally get a win. Did Pettersson play any better?
He had a quiet game, but he still pulls off great plays that lead to goals or should have been goals. He made a great pass to set up a 2 on 0. should have been another goal.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I've struggled with my own mental health issues over the years, and personally I use lots of self-deprecating humor as a coping mechanism. I think I know where Corey is coming from, it was just maybe something that should not have been said on air. Honest mistake.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Ugh.... I hate to say it but this team reminds me of the Maple Leafs teams from 2008-2014. Mediocre. No structure, questionable coaching with Ron Wilson/Randy Carlye, bad defensively and just plain frustrating to watch.
Will have to break out the waffles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad