Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blackhawks - 3-1 (Chiasson, Boeser, Schenn)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Two teams with similar seasons...

- bad starts
- coaching change
- go on a streak
- start to come back down to earth

Canucks are just a bit behind on the timeline.

Last edited:

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Chicago are a garbage. They have like 9 real wins. Only Habs and Zona have less with 7. If we can't beat these clowns we should just restart the tank season.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
For all the hand wringing about Halak playing, does anyone actually know what happens with his bonus if he gets traded? Why wouldn't the bonus be treated the same as a signing bonus in that the entire cap hit goes with Halak.

For all we know, there's a team interested in acquiring Halak but they want Aquilini's money to pay the bonus, then they will take the cap hit.

Doesn't make sense to me that the bonus portion of the cap hit would stay here if he was traded, but I don't know.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Can we score 5 goals this game.
JTM, Garland with 2 goals each, Schenn with the 5th

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Could be posturing, which I think it is. Brings the need for teams and Halak to make a decision to the forefront.

They’ve been saying and the media has been reporting that clearing capspace is their biggest target right now.

Halak is like the easiest guy to offload considering he’s a backup with no tenure in VAN and we have a guy who outplayed him as 3rd string.

If we don’t trade him, I’m going to assume the offers were all a 5th and lower or simply just Halak wasn’t willing to waive.

If Halak isn't willing to waive, or the return isn't worth it than we should be going with Martin as back up. Not only to get out of the bonus but to get a better read on Martin. It also puts pressure on Halak to waive if he wants to get his bonus.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Unless he’s been asked and refused to waive, it’s surprising there’s not more noise about trading Kane. They might be waiting until he’s healthier, ie this summer.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
It's interesting to see what kind of impact the trade deadline has on a team in a "normal" 82 game season. Our 2011 team that went to the finals was on a few long winning streaks until Feb 2011. With the looming trade deadline on Feb. 28, we would win a game, then lose a game all through the month, and not really play well at all. The suspicion was players didn't want to be traded away and it affected their game. Then in March, they went back to their winning ways.

I wonder how it's impacting our 2022 players knowing that they're being shopped around the league. Some might be okay with it (Miller), but some may not. Are we going to see another game like the Calgary debacle? Are the guys going to show up tonight and tomorrow? This is where a veteran coach like Boudreau can have an impact. This is when I wish the trade deadline was a little sooner than later.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
1.5M while shedding cap and adding assets, likely for that same 1.5M, doesn't matter.
Certainly not extremely dumb, especially when that player needs to play to get scouted.
It's game forty something, demko can't play them all.
Does Halak really need to be scouted more? What will you find from an extra game or 2 about a 36 years old goalie that you don't already know? Its not like the guy haven't played hundreds of games in his career both as a starter and as a backup, in both the regular season and playoff.
I feel like that maybe there is no taker unless the Nucks take the cap hit from the bonus, and this is why they are giving Halak his 10 games here before being traded. If I'm the acquiring team I definitely wouldn't want to take on that extra $1.5m cap space for next season.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
No way is Bruce sitting Podkolzin?

Over trash like Chiasson Dowling Dickinson? A whole line of garbage ahead of Pod?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No, I'd have Halak stapled to the press box while Martin gets one of these games.

This is definitely a point I agree with. If this team is going to pretend to be competitive and work towards the playoffs, why are you playing your 3rd best goalie tonight? You are going to need to go on a major run here. I'm not sure why a rusty Halak is the choice over a red-hot Martin, purely for competitive reasons and nothing to do with the bonus.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Didn't Podz get his bell rung in a recent game? Was it Winnipeg or Edmonton?
Maybe he needs a game or two off. Just guessing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad