Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Avs - 3-1 (Boeser, Miller, Horvat)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
The Avs simply do not play bad games at home. They lost 2 games at home in regulation right at the beginning of the season, where they started slow, but since then the only home regulation loss was against Dallas, and now Vancouver. The Canucks shut down a very good team.

Please, I beg you. Instead of just saying these things, WATCH A GAME. Go read there GDTs.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Do I believe the Canucks got themselves a gutsy win that they roughed out? 100%

Do I believe that would have happened if the Avalanche played up to their usual ability at home and had 2 of their top defense man and captain? -100%

Both of these things can be correct simultaneously. One does not exclude the other. Holy hell why is this so hard for people.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Do I believe that would have happened if the Avalanche played up to their usual ability at home and had 2 of their top defense man and captain? -100%

Both of these things can be correct simultaneously. One does not exclude the other. Holy hell why is this so hard for people.

You've spent 10 posts reiterating this exact same thing. Colorado wasnt perfect - holy shit who cares try to enjoy the win.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

Well, it's just that it's kind of obvious. There's no way Vancouver is a better team, on paper, or in reality.
But the inconsistency of variable factors is what makes sports unpredictable and fun to watch.

Any weaker team still has a chance to win with some puck luck and/or better effort. That's how upsets happen, and a win is still a win.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Literally any team in this league can beat any other team on any given night. Not much to read into, really.
there’s like 1% of hockey fans who truly understand the balance in that any team can beat any on a given night because of the variability of the sport - and this carries over in the frequency of standings upsets in short seven game series BUT are also able to acknowledge that long trends generally always win out and that to build a sustainable winner, you need to be really good and do things at a high level for years and just “get lucky” among those top five or eight teams every year to win.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
An expected loss against Detroit and Buffalo sort of countered by this win against Colorado. Now if they win tomorrow against Minnesota that's something

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Literally any team in this league can beat any other team on any given night. Not much to read into, really. Got the 2 pts, on to the next one.
Not much doubt about this....Canucks lose to the Wings and Sabres on home ice.....then go on the road and inexplicably top the Av's 3-1 with their backup goaltender. Sometimes the puck Gods just smile on you.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Do you think it's possible that the reason the Avs were below their expected standard was that the Canucks played a very good road game and didn't let the Avs build momentum? The Canucks played really well in all three zones for the most part and checked the Avs much more tightly than they've checked teams recently. The Canucks didn't just gut out a win either. They checked tight, maintained good positioning to break up plays all over the ice, but also created just as much (or more) offense as the Avs. Why is this so hard for people? :sarcasm:

I thought it was one of the Canucks best games in a while. They were much better at covering the slot and back-checking to take away the trailer on the rush. That Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson line was awesome in their 2nd line matchup vs Kadri & co, while Miller, Pearson, and Garland did well to battle against the Mckinnon line and come out a goal up.

Liked Richardson's game and am one of many who didn't know why he wasn't resigned by the Canucks all those years ago. He's been an excellent 4th line centre on good contracts for 10 years.

Dermott looked decent, not much to comment on really as it was a pretty low-event game when he was on the ice, facing mostly bottom 6 competition. I agree with Orcatown that the skating ability was obvious tho.

Reactions: RussianRacket

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Also who gives a Frank if they are missing Girard

Girard sucks this season and is coming back to reality post Covid divisions. Well he actually came back to reality in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckking1

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good win. Halak wasn't amazing or anything, but he really held the fort in the first period while the team got off to a bit of a slow start.

Didn't notice Dermott at all. Maybe a good thing.

Great, unexpected win on the road.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

For anyone that doesn't know - Colorado has one of the most Capital "R" Ridiculously Homer/Insane play by play and commentary teams in the league (if not the most).

Colorado is a vastly superior team - but this video, in hindsight, is delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I like to believe Halak read this.
Halak is no fool; he knows the history of back up goaltenders on this team dating back to guys like Skudra and even before. I can't believe he didn't go into this season with his eyes wide open. I'm not really a fan but it was great to see him have a huge game when 99% of his own fan base was shitting all over him...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Good win. Halak wasn't amazing or anything, but he really held the fort in the first period while the team got off to a bit of a slow start.
Yeah that .970 save % for a rusty back up goalie IS pretty pedestrian...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: