Canucks Clinch A Playoff Spot!!!!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks only needed one more win to be Stanley Cup champions, and they had two opportunities at it. That's pretty darn close. I can't imagine him feeling more confident about winning the Stanley Cup at any point in the Finals last year than he would have at the end of Game 5 in Vancouver. The Kings led last year's series 3-0 going into Game 4, and were shut out 3-0 in Game 3. They only made it to 5 games.

There's no way to interpret the Rangers as ever having been closer to the Cup than Vancouver was in 2011. The Cup was in TD Garden in Game 6 just in case the Canucks won that game...

Of course they needed only one more win.

I never thought they'd get that win unless Luongo was lights out because there was no other way the team was going to win. They were too beat up. And given I sat in TD garden during game 3 watching that Luongo performance which reminded me sooooo much of several other performances of his (simply giving up, no fight) I didn't have a lot of confidence that they could get that win. I'm sure if you had an honest discussion with the players and coaching staff about it now they'd tell you something similar (without throwing Luongo under the bus).

But seeing as this seems to be misinterpreted...I was providing reasoning as to why AV could very well think that outside of a "i coach this team now" reason. I wasn't trying to say that I personally thought the Rangers had a hope. I didn't. They were, IMO, lucky to even get to the final. I admit my wording in the first post was ambiguous at best.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What does everyone think of the playoff ticket prices? 85-177$ for a ticket seems resonable to me.

That seems really reasonable to me. I haven't been to a playoff game in some time (2007 was my last one), but I was never able to find a ticket for less than $160. If tickets are starting at $85, then damn!

On the topic of playoff moments, an underrated gem from the Canucks' only ever sweep:

Burrows has 3 OT game winners in the playoffs. I believe that's the most of any Canuck ever (I think Henrik Sedin and Greg Adams each had 2).

arsmaster*

Of course they needed only one more win.

I never thought they'd get that win unless Luongo was lights out because there was no other way the team was going to win. They were too beat up. And given I sat in TD garden during game 3 watching that Luongo performance which reminded me sooooo much of several other performances of his (simply giving up, no fight) I didn't have a lot of confidence that they could get that win. I'm sure if you had an honest discussion with the players and coaching staff about it now they'd tell you something similar (without throwing Luongo under the bus).

But seeing as this seems to be misinterpreted...I was providing reasoning as to why AV could very well think that outside of a "i coach this team now" reason. I wasn't trying to say that I personally thought the Rangers had a hope. I didn't. They were, IMO, lucky to even get to the final. I admit my wording in the first post was ambiguous at best.
Game 3 wasn't that bad. The team quit in game 6 after luongo sunk them.

I'm sure they felt close with the cup in the building twice.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Luongos mental game was pure **** in game six, just God awful.

I literally turned off my TV, disgusted effort

Game 6 is the only game I pinned on him in that final, everyone dumps on him for the whole series while our power play (which carried us all year) scored twice and gave up three shorthanded goals.

We also scored 8 goals in total in 7 games and Roberto posted 2 shutouts in the series, he was not the reason we lost the series, but he was the reason we lost Game 6 unfortunately.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Is this where the prices start or is this just a guess?

edit: just went to the website and saw that they start at $85. woooo.

Min to max I guess, those prices were mentioned on 1040. Going to try and figure out the finances with the wife before Friday and see if we can make a game, I've never been to a playoff game and those prices are much cheaper than I anticipated. Would be a blast.

JA

That seems really reasonable to me. I haven't been to a playoff game in some time (2007 was my last one), but I was never able to find a ticket for less than $160. If tickets are starting at $85, then damn!

On the topic of playoff moments, an underrated gem from the Canucks' only ever sweep:

Burrows has 3 OT game winners in the playoffs. I believe that's the most of any Canuck ever (I think Henrik Sedin and Greg Adams each had 2).

Greg Adams has 3.

He scored the Game 6 OT winner in 1993 against the Winnipeg Jets. It was a controversial goal because he crashed into the goalie to score the goal. It was also the series-winning goal. He scored the Game 5 OT winner in 1994 against Toronto; he scored the OT winner the very next game in Game 1 of the Rangers series.

He's the only Canuck to score OT goals in back-to-back playoff games!

Cliff Ronning has 2 playoff goals as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Greg Adams has 3.

He scored the Game 7 OT winner in 1993 against the Winnipeg Jets. It was a controversial goal because he crashed into the goalie to score the goal. He scored the Game 5 OT winner in 1994 against Toronto; he scored the OT winner the very next game in Game 1 of the Rangers series.

He's the only Canuck to score OT goals in back-to-back playoff games.

Cliff Ronning has 2 playoff goals as well.

Ahhh, I forgot all about Adams vs. the Jets. Is there a video out there somewhere of that goal?

His game-tying goal against Calgary in Game 7 in 1994 was also enormous. Great power move to bust to the front of the net and chip it over Vernon.

JA

Ahhh, I forgot all about Adams vs. the Jets. Is there a video out there somewhere of that goal?

His game-tying goal against Calgary in Game 7 in 1994 was also enormous. Great power move to bust to the front of the net and chip it over Vernon.

8:02 into the video:

Today that would be goalie interference. Back then it was a good series-winning goal.

JA

Semi-related:

Whoever was in charge of the NHL's official YouTube account labeled this video "Crosby sets up Greg Adams goal."

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Is this where the prices start or is this just a guess?

edit: just went to the website and saw that they start at $85. woooo.

Starting at $85 (which will be very limited). Also after ticketmaster fees, will be close to $110 lol

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Game 3 wasn't that bad. The team quit in game 6 after luongo sunk them.

I was in the stands! It was that bad. It was 8-1. You quite simply don't lose 8-1 in a Stanley Cup final game by playing "not that bad". I remember the game distinctly as the time I stopped defending Luongo and his lapses. It likely didn't help his cause that I spent all that money getting tickets, flying to Boston on short notice, and paying for a hotel room on week/weekend that not just the Bruins were in the final but all the major universities were having there convocation!

Anyways...it's neither here nor there in the end. This is a different team with different goaltenders that I don't feel give up like Luongo does when things don't go their way. I'm not a fan of Miller but he doesn't have that same body language.

arsmaster*

I was in the stands! It was that bad. It was 8-1. You quite simply don't lose 8-1 in a Stanley Cup final game by playing "not that bad".

Anyways...it's neither here nor there.

I meant on Luongo. The game was close for the first half, they mailed it in as a team after the 3rd goal. IIRC correctly the goals that went in were calamitous errors on the entire team, not just Lu.

5-1 is blowout, the Bruins scored 3 goals in the last 2.5 minutes to run it up.

I still curse AV for not going to Schneids in the 3rd period there.

I don't want to delve into it much further, because this thread should be for happy thoughts.

arsmaster*

Damn you tantalum for making me curious enough to rewatch the goals in game 3.

First one Edler breaks his stick. Puck goes off him.

2nd - kesler tips it into his own net.

3rd - Marchand half breakaway (you could tell kes was badly injured when Marchand skated by him like he wasn't there).

4th, bad rebound for Lu.

Shouldn't have come out for the 3rd.

Can someone please post a happy .gif now. :(

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Game six was where Luongo **** the bed, prior to that minus he bad game 3 he was good.

I guess Luongo was overthinking too much of his legacy of he would won or lost, who knows..

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Starting at $85 (which will be very limited). Also after ticketmaster fees, will be close to $110 lol

haha yeah. That's was I was thinking too. I was expecting to be around $120+ fees though so I can deal with this.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why the **** is 2011 being discussed right now?

New goalie. New coaching. New depth.

I guess the only thing is the same core, but that core got us to a SCF.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
8:02 into the video:

Today that would be goalie interference. Back then it was a good series-winning goal.

Crazy how much the game has changed since then. The goalie interference, Bure elbow on Churla :handclap: and the infamous Messier trying to take out Linden in the final seconds of Game 6. All three instances would have vastly different outcomes today.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Why the **** is 2011 being discussed right now?

New goalie. New coaching. New depth.

I guess the only thing is the same core, but that core got us to a SCF.

Because 2011 is the new 1994 and we still discuss that too. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but it is what we have and will have until this organization can get it done.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Still haven't watched any highlight of the 2011 Finals and don't plan to. Still hurts too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad