Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Blues, Sunday (start of 3-game roadtrip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
^ Almost 10 years ago now. Holy crap.

...well now I feel old.

Man, I miss that team. It was amazing following their ups and downs, those hard fought playoff battles when they finally, FINALLY got thru Chicago.

Those really were the best of times for me as a fan... still frustrating how that team's peers were able to compete again for the cup, but that core only got one shot. :ha:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
While I know the '09-'10 team was better than the '08-'09 team, it's the latter that I have the better memories of. The big losing streak and whispers of coaching turnover followed by Burrows's season-saving GWG against Carolina, followed by the complete erasure of Calgary's double-digit division lead, making the playoffs after missing them under embarrassing pretenses the year before, all punctuated with the team's first sweep of a four-game playoff series, during which my stupid teenage self abandoned his supermarket work duties to listen to that OT winner on a cheap radio in the garden centre. It was a fun season - a palate-cleanser after '07-'08.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
TAS_oOEwAszl4bSPQgf7jFBUYtPl6723FehNlHKHelA.jpg

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
"Forget Goldy, Brock is my new best friend. Alien-Flow for life."

...seriously though, nice to see these young core players obviously getting along together. Apparently Brock and Elias are roomies on the road now too?

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
While I know the '09-'10 team was better than the '08-'09 team, it's the latter that I have the better memories of. The big losing streak and whispers of coaching turnover followed by Burrows's season-saving GWG against Carolina, followed by the complete erasure of Calgary's double-digit division lead, making the playoffs after missing them under embarrassing pretenses the year before, all punctuated with the team's first sweep of a four-game playoff series, during which my stupid teenage self abandoned his supermarket work duties to listen to that OT winner on a cheap radio in the garden centre. It was a fun season - a palate-cleanser after '07-'08.

That team was just as stacked on paper as the 2010-2011 team
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Sundin-Kesler
Hansen-Wellwood-Bernier
Raymond-Johnson-Pyatt

Ohlund-Salo
Mitchell-Bieksa
Edler-O'Brien

Luongo
Sanford/Schneider/Labarbera

Most memorable part of that season was watching Sundin just hulking around the ice and beasting in the playoffs. Dude looked like such a powerhouse out there dropping massive slapshots every game

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Most memorable part of that season was watching Sundin just hulking around the ice and beasting in the playoffs. Dude looked like such a powerhouse out there dropping massive slapshots every game
Sure Sundin was just painful to see in the regular season that year (except for that shootout winning shootout goal against the Leafs) where it seemed like somebody needed to hand him the oxygen tank after just one 30 second shift (he was that out of shape) but as you said, he was one of our better forwards when the season really counted (postseason). He (now in game shape) appeared to be getting even stronger as that series went on. Sigh....missed opportunities.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The game against the Preds was one of the most complete performances by the Canucks this season (especially the first two periods)..they basically chased Rinne out of the net...Canucks still have a lot of work to do,but that was a great showing by our young players.

Would like to see a continuation of that against the Blues tomorrow..Special teams have to improve..especially the PK.

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
The game against the Preds was one of the most complete performances by the Canucks this season (especially the first two periods)..they basically chased Rinne out of the net...Canucks still have a lot of work to do,but that was a great showing by our young players.

Would like to see a continuation of that against the Blues tomorrow..Special teams have to improve..especially the PK.

It was good yeah, well for the first two periods... that third period was getting ugly though.

Still, nice to see them not completely crumble and lose their lead. During the losing streak it wouldn't have been surprising for Nashville to have come all the way back.

Defense is still a major issue for this team... but hopefully we can work around that by getting on the board first again.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It was good yeah, well for the first two periods... that third period was getting ugly though.

Still, nice to see them not completely crumble and lose their lead. During the losing streak it wouldn't have been surprising for Nashville to have come all the way back.

Defense is still a major issue for this team... but hopefully we can work around that by getting on the board first again.
My biggest concern is their mindset in the 3rd period..The book on the Canucks by the opposition is if you push them hard enough,they will eventually break (how many times has this happened in the last 15 odd games, when we were tied or had a one goal lead..?).

They have to get through this,and learn to close out the game.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Told my wife the morning of the preds game.. “ weird feeling , they going to beat the preds tonight and win in st.louis and Columbus “

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I've been meaning to a make a thread reflecting back on the 2008-2009 season, and was going to bring up everything you mentioned and then some. It really was a fun season. The following year we hosted the Olympics, and the one after that was this franchise's best season ever. Very good times.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know why Green just doesn't simply alternate the goalies for the rest of the year. Both guys have demonstrated they can't be starters, but they can come off the bench after some time off and be effective. They're just placeholders for Demko anyway.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
On the subject of the '08-'09 season: We are 10 days away from the 10th anniversary of the Mats Sundin signing

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Doug Ford will be the next GM of the Canucks?:eek:

Rumor is he came primarily for the shotguns and misunderstanding what the white powder in the rink was.

...somehow, as implausible as that would be, I would still not be shocked at all if Aquaman announced it tomorrow. :huh:

This hypothetical is more interesting than the Blues to me. The Blues to me are a boring team. They used to play the trap pretty heavily, is that still true?

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Canucks are dysfunctional, too. I wonder if this Petterson kid is a problem. He's unfailingly polite and upbeat. I can see how that would wear on long time Canucks. :xbg:

Of course Pettersson's a problem to his teammates. He's their only player who while on the bench doesn't stand up and smash his stick on the boards when his teammate is in a fight. lol players complaining about concussions then most players endorsing fighting. Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad