Canucks Biggest Draft Booms and Busts since 2000

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
i don't think juolevi will be in a nucks uniform for much longer.. either he gets packaged alongside somebody or traded for a draft pick.
You’re going to get very little for him at this point. Might as well keep him vs dealing him for a late round pick or another team’s failed prospect. He adds little to any package imho.

Reactions: David71

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Going through these Canuck picks
2013 Hunter Shinkaruk 24th
2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th
2011 Nicolas Jensen 29th
2009 Jordan Schroeder 22nd
2007 Patrick White 25th

All busts! I realize that late first-round picks are a 50/50 coin toss. It would have been nice to strike gold with at least ONE of these 5 guys.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th
2011 Nicolas Jensen 29th
2007 Patrick White 25th

All busts! I realize that late first-round picks are a 50/50 coin toss. It would have been nice to strike gold with at least ONE of these 5 guys.

To be fair we struck gold in 2004 with Schneider.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th
2011 Nicolas Jensen 29th
2007 Patrick White 25th

Is think you nailed it with your assessment of later picks in the first round. They usually end up in the 20-30 range because either they were sliding in their draft year; or in the scouts opinion, there were areas of their game like size, skating or hockey sense that created question marks.

And it seems more often than not, they simply plateau and top out as journeyman or AHL-NHL 'tweeners'. But if you do your homework you can hit 'gold' in the back half of the first round. You mention Cory Schneider. But Ryan Kesler and Brock Boeser are also living proof of that.

And the Bruins are more than happy with David Pastrnak, who was drafted in 2014 at #25, one pick after the Canucks picked Jared McCann.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Is think you nailed it with your assessment of later picks in the first round. They usually end up in the 20-30 range because either they were sliding in their draft year; or in the scouts opinion, there were areas of their game like size, skating or hockey sense that created question marks.

And it seems more often than not, they simply plateau and top out as journeyman or AHL-NHL 'tweeners'. But if you do your homework you can hit 'gold' in the back half of the first round. You mention Cory Schneider. But Ryan Kesler and Brock Boeser are also living proof of that.

And the Bruins are more than happy with David Pastrnak, who was drafted in 2014 at #25, one pick after the Canucks picked Jared McCann.
2003 draft class was pretty deep. It actually took some skill to miss out on a NHLer that year & round.
Boeser seems to have hit a bit of a rut (can't stay healthy and he doesn't do much on the ice except score goals; Jake Virtanen would still be a capable bottom six winger if he didn't score any goals). I wouldn't call him a gold payout until that somehow corrects itself.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I mean I'd have to think video game addiction or not, the injuries are the main reason for Juolevi's very slow progression. Having said that, I could actually seem some merit to this. Marek specified that it was a prominent team and you know it was a top pick playing in the OHL. Things that make you go hmm..
I’m not convinced injuries have kept him from an upwards trajectory. From the very small viewings I’ve seen and reading Utica posters comments he hasn’t actually gotten any better on D or any less scared of contact.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I’m not convinced injuries have kept him from an upwards trajectory. From the very small viewings I’ve seen and reading Utica posters comments he hasn’t actually gotten any better on D or any less scared of contact.
Frustrating part is that he does have offensive skill. Probably playing very passive (afraid to get hurt again).

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench

Respectfully, I feel your two sentences are contradictory.

Juolevi has had multiple injuries and has undoubtedly played below 100% in many of his professional games. You mention that is widely believe he plays scared. Is there a chance that has something to do with the multiple injuries and playing well below 100%?

Even if you are 100% after returning from a major injury, especially one that requires surgery, the mental aspect is very difficult to escape. I'm confident it's something both Utica and Vancouver's staff has noticed and has worked with him on and if they haven't that is even more concerning.

I'm not suggesting his injuries are the sole reason for his (so far) downfall...I'd argue his footwork was never elite and he got by with intelligence at a young age. He has always struggled to play with pace. Injuries have certainly hindered his ability to take strides with his footwork which he needed to do either way coming out of Junior.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th
2011 Nicolas Jensen 29th
2007 Patrick White 25th

painful too look at. Not even one of them retained a full time NHL job even as a role player on a 4th line. Put

To be fair we struck gold in 2004 with Schneider.

that was 16 years ago.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
that was 16 years ago.

Did you see what I was responding to? Dr. Black said "It would have been nice to strike gold with at least ONE of these 5 guys." One of those guys he was referring to was Patrick White. Schneider was drafted one year prior.

Edit. My mistake. Schneider was in 2004 but my point still stands.

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Did you see what I was responding to? Dr. Black said "It would have been nice to strike gold with at least ONE of these 5 guys." One of those guys he was referring to was Patrick White. Schneider was drafted one year prior.
2004 was not one year prior to 2007 friend

Reactions: Javaman and F A N

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
2004 was not one year prior to 2007 friend

EEB5A212-DE3C-428B-9094-E4F6B965A33C.gif

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Late night brain fart. My point still stands though. Nonis had 4 drafts. One of his late first he drafted Schneider. The other he drafted White.
Not sure where Nonis came up. We struck gold with late 1sts in 2003 with Kesler in a near impossible to miss draft, 2004 Schneider, and 2015 with Boeser. I think those are our only golds found with late 1sts in our 50 year history? Go team

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th
2011 Nicolas Jensen 29th
2007 Patrick White 25th

I had high hopes for Shinkaruk, Jensen and Schroeder when they were drafted.

Shit out of luck, they all became busts.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Fun fact. We have had a total of 31 top 10 draft picks, 6 in the last 7 years. Our expansion cousin Sabres have had 18 with 7 in the last 7 years.

Note: some were from trades, I’m too lazy to look those numbers up

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Wasn't the biggest bust, but Hunter Shinkaruk...The Canucks unloaded him after only 2 years..Always seemed rather odd to dispatch a 1st round player (even though it was late in the 1st) so quickly after being drafted.

No agenda at all...

Shinkaruk a late first rounder (15 NHL games), dealt by the next GM = bigger bust than 5th overall Juolevi, handpicked by Benning, hasnt played a single NHL game at 4 year post his draft.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No agenda at all...

Shinkaruk a late first rounder (15 NHL games), dealt by the next GM = bigger bust than 5th overall Juolevi, handpicked by Benning, hasnt played a single NHL game at 4 year post his draft.
Hilarious....If I really wanted to bash Gillis' drafting I would have brought up 'all' of his first round busts...Get a grip.

The reason I brought up Shinkaruk is because its not common to see a 1st rounder 'traded' after only 2 years into his development...Most teams have a bit more patience with their higher picks..Almost looked like 'buyers remorse' from the get go..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00