Value of: Canucks - Available Assets (picks and players) + bad contract

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Sven Baertschi and Brandon Sutter are solid players. If I'm a fan of a team looking for a top-9 center or winger, trading for one of these guys could make more sense than making a long-term mistake on July 1st.

Baertschi is a healthy scratch on the Canucks.

After Loui Eriksson gets his signing bonus this summer, he'll make 2.5mill/year in actual dollars (compared to his 6mill/year cap hit). A rebuilding team should consider trading for him imo.

And what about next year?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sign Markstrom
keep Demko to expose in ED
Let Dipietro take over backup at some point

Losing him to get rid of a dump makes no sense.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Baertschi successfully passed through waivers twice this season. Teams looking for a top 9 guy had plenty of opportunity to take him

Teams likely wanted to preserve cap flexibility going into the trade deadline & free agency this summer, but once July 1st comes around, a team may strike out or not want to sign a 3rd-liner to a long term deal, and may be interested. The Canucks were able to trade Sam Gagner and Erik Gudbranson last season, the Oilers actually signed Markus Granlund, and the Ducks signed Michael Del Zotto last summer; if those guys are on an NHL roster this year, Sven Baertschi should probably have been on one. I'd be surprised if no team took a chance on him for next year.

And what about next year?

After Loui Eriksson's signing bonus is paid this summer, his base salary will be 1million for the rest of the season. The following season, his total salary will be 4million. 1mill + 4mill = 5mill for two years. 5mill/2 years = 2.5mill/year. The time for a team wanting the contract to hit the cap floor would be this summer... If a trade doesn't happen before next season, then Loui Eriksson likely plays out his contract in Vancouver/Utica.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Losing him to get rid of a dump makes no sense.
doesnt losing demko for nothing in ed also make no sense?
dipietro isnt eligible..
so you could attach demko in a package with eriksson, then sign a backup for 2 years and expose the backup..

personally think sutter is quite tradeable with some retention.
eriksson would probably take demko and 2022 1st as its 2 years unless theres a team besides ottawa that has a super cheap owner

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Sutter will not take much to move. He is a good 3rd line centre on many teams. He won't return much, but is not a cap dump.

Baertschi will retire or be bought out.

Eriksson along with Demko and a pick will get him moved this offseason to a non cap team that needs a goalie.

Nobody other than Dubas has paid a huge premium to move a contract. He is the exception, not the norm.

I seem to remember Chicago having to pay a larger premium to move Bickell in 2016. So your exception is more of the norm than you belief.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
doesnt losing demko for nothing in ed also make no sense?
dipietro isnt eligible..
so you could attach demko in a package with eriksson, then sign a backup for 2 years and expose the backup..

personally think sutter is quite tradeable with some retention.
eriksson would probably take demko and 2022 1st as its 2 years unless theres a team besides ottawa that has a super cheap owner
So worst case, Seattle takesDemko and you get the rest of your team untouched. Not a bad situation.

Who are you trading Demko to where he is going to be the top goalie in the organization? Because that's who you need to find because the acquiring team is not trading for him AND taking on an anchor like Eriksson, just to expose Demko in the ED.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Who are you trading Demko to where he is going to be the top goalie in the organization? Because that's who you need to find because the acquiring team is not trading for him AND taking on an anchor like Eriksson, just to expose Demko in the ED.

det, min, sj, are teams that come to mind.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I seem to remember Chicago having to pay a larger premium to move Bickell in 2016. So your exception is more of the norm than you belief.

Not really, for Carolina to take on Bickell contract, they got Teravainen at a cheaper price with only a 2nd round and 3rd round pick

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not really, for Carolina to take on Bickell contract, they got Teravainen at a cheaper price with only a 2nd round and 3rd round pick

That's a pretty big premium. You think Chicago wanted to move TT? And that he wasn't worth a whole lot more than a 2nd and 3rd on his own?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
:laugh:

Nobody is taking on those awful contracts for the little value being offered in return here.

Start with a 1st round pick and go from there if you want to get rid of Eriksson.

Eriksson i believe is the least of the worry for the Canucks. Ive mentioned before and lots of analyst like Ray Ferraro on TSN has as well but there is a growing belief that both sides will choose to terminate this contract after the bonus is paid out in July.

Perhaps this was a wink wink deal when it was signed as to the reason why it waso heavily front loaded.

Eriksson is due for a bonus this July, once that happens, he is only due to be paid 5 million$ real dollars, over the next 2 years or 2.5 mil/year.

If and when Canucks send him down to the AHL next year there is nooooo way i can see someone like Eriksson spending 2 years riding the bus and living the AHL life away from his family and yound kids and away from his restaurant business in Europe in which he owns about 4 high end establishments. Eriksson is beyond wealthy and i have a hard time seeing him choose that AHL "quality of life" instead of calling it a career and riding off into the sunset to Europe over 5 million bucks (pre tax)

Reactions: Yannickg

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Zero chance Baertschi who has ongoing concussion concerns retires with 3.3 million on the table. What a pipe dream.

I dont think he will retire but I also think there is still interest on him around the league especially when he will be on an expiring contract.

There were lots of report that he was super close to being traded last week at the TDL but it fell apart last second, then Benning went on his presser and said he believes he will be able to find Baertschi a new home at the draft.

Still an NHL top 9 player who can fill in top 6 in the right role.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What are your thoughts on Eriksson + Demko + 1st for like a 3rd
The Canucks will try to move Eriksson after his bonus has been paid this summer. The bonus is $3million with $1million salary for the year, the following year has a $1million bonus and $3million actual salary. So after the bonus is paid Eriksson only has $5million over 2 years of actual money ($2.5 per). I could see a young team looking to add their goalie of the future taking Demko and Eriksson, a team like Ottawa could take Eriksson to help them hit the cap floor without it costing actual dollars - it would take another asset of course but I can't see the Canucks including a first.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Would you do 2022 1st + DiPietro/Virtanen to offload Eriksson? I just have a hard time seeing him moved without a first attached especially considering it’s not a 2020 1st.

If it's a 1st, Demko./Virtanen won't be needed to move him. If it's both, an quality asset would be coming back. The Canucks have other contacts that they can move to open up space that won't gut our young assets.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Baertschi is an interesting case. He was a solid player and contributor for us when healthy. He's not too old or too slow. He's definitely best suited in a scoring role in the top3 lines. He's not gritty or big and strong but he was never really that soft either. He has always been one of the most skilled players on our team and is a really good playmaker, creative and smart. He's solid defensively too.

I realize he has had some bad luck with injuries and his last concussion created a huge problem with his standing in the organization. When Sven made comments about possibly walking away and other things being more important in life than hockey something triggered within the organization. They traded for Pearson and Miller and signed Ferland and moved on from Baertschi a player they had just a year earlier awarded a pretty sizable contract and commitment.

It's weird....he always had this nice chemistry with Horvat and had a really good pre season alongside of Gaudette who forced his way on the team but it seemed crystal clear that a decision was made that he was no longer in the plans. Once he cleared waivers and asked for a trade it appears things were even more tenuous between management/coaching and Baertschi. It's really too bad because he's definitely an NHL player and i get that his actual production because of injuries makes his contract a negative but i would rather him than more than a few players on our roster right now.

With a year left he should be able to find a spot on a team once the first week of free agency ends and teams are looking for B options to fill out their teams rosters ....we'll see. If not then the closer to the dealine of next season he should be realatively easy to move as a rental.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That's a pretty big premium. You think Chicago wanted to move TT? And that he wasn't worth a whole lot more than a 2nd and 3rd on his own?
What was TT worth? He was in his D+4 season and had a career high 35 points. He was worth maybe a 1st and the Canes got him for a 2nd and a 3rd. It required an asset but that's not a huge cost to attach BB at $4.5million and he had spent over half the previous year in the AHL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What was TT worth? He was in his D+4 season and had a career high 35 points. He was worth maybe a 1st and the Canes got him for a 2nd and a 3rd. It required an asset but that's not a huge cost to attach BB at $4.5million and he had spent over half the previous year in the AHL.

Ignoring the fact that that analysis ignores the fact that he played only one full season in the NHL, that's not how value works, especially for young players. Chicago didn't want to move TT. He was only available because Chicago needed to clear cap. They weren't going to move him for a just a 1st. He was already a cost controlled former 1st round pick that had a promising development curve.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Baertschi is a healthy scratch on the Canucks.

Healthy isn't the operative word. His play has been great, but the talk is Benning doesn't want another Baertschi concussion on his conscience. Which given the way Green runs his players, might be a valid theory.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Also most Canucks fans, hell nearly all, would rather have Baertschi on the team and have Green and Benning off of it if that's the call that's needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad