Value of: Canucks - Available Assets (picks and players) + bad contract

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
IMO some Vancouver players with value will be made available this summer in order to free up cap space to sign some of the core and to add players that will better support the core.

Would your team be interested in taking on some of these contracts if it meant getting an asset with it.

Available players:

Thatcher Demko- goalie of the future. He has struggled in his last couple of games but has been solid overall this season for the Canucks. Very young still and has been outstanding in every level of competition. 11-8-2 record this season, 24 yrs old, 6'4 athletic. No doubt he will be a starting goalie in the NHL.

Jake Virtanen- 23 yrs old Right Shot , Right Wing. Speed and Size. breakout year this season with 18 goals currently. Very capable and reliable defensively as well, lacks consistency in being physical.

Troy Stecher (RFA) - 26yrs old- right Shot dman. Very good positionally on defence and solid puck mover. Lacks offence and finish but makes up for it with a tireless motor and reliability on the back end. undersized but skates well.

Prospects available: probably everyone outside of Hoglander and Podkolzin.

Picks: unsure yet as Benning said he will be trying to re-coup picks this summer but as of now lets just say they are off-limits because Canucks already dont have their 1 and 2 this draft,

Bad contracts on Canucks:

Eriksson- 2 years left 6 mil AAV
Beagle- 2 years left 3 mil AAV
Baertschi- 1 yr left 3.3 mil AAV
Brandon Sutter- 1 year left 4.3 ml AAV

Players like Myers and Rousell have hefty contracts but i believe they are valuable to the team and are filling a needed role so i dont see their contracts are something we are looking to move.

Proposals would be something like;

Demko + Sutter for......
Virtanen + Eriksson
Stecher + Baertschi

etc.....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Demko has little value given ED coming up in 2021 and is not exempt

Outside of a gutted team needing to get to the cap floor nobody is taking cap dumps from you unless you include your top 3 prospects who are ED exempt.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Sutter will not take much to move. He is a good 3rd line centre on many teams. He won't return much, but is not a cap dump.

Baertschi will retire or be bought out.

Eriksson along with Demko and a pick will get him moved this offseason to a non cap team that needs a goalie.

Nobody other than Dubas has paid a huge premium to move a contract. He is the exception, not the norm.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Baertschi should be cheap, Sutter might be a roster filler, Eriksson is really the only one I'd expect to pay significantly to dump.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Sutter will not take much to move. He is a good 3rd line centre on many teams. He won't return much, but is not a cap dump.

Eriksson along with Demko and a pick will get him moved this offseason to a non cap team that needs a goalie.

Nobody other than Dubas has paid a huge premium to move a contract. He is the exception, not the norm.
What are your thoughts on Eriksson + Demko + 1st for like a 3rd

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
What are your thoughts on Eriksson + Demko + 1st for like a 3rd

Given that we have no 1st either this year or next, and no 2nd this year, I don't think a 1st would be included without a really nice piece coming back. I'd use the Backes deal as a benchmark far more than the Marleau one.

A first and Demko would be far too much to move Eriksson. He is overpaid, but an OK bottom six forward, and will cost far less actual dollars than cap hit. I don't feel it will take much more than Demko to move him, there are lots of teams with cap space that would love to have a young goalie like him.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Do you value DiPietro less than Demko? Or of those parts listed above what is a fair trade to offload him?
DiPietro has many more question marks, as he is still very young, but he fits the timeline of this team much better, assuming that Markstrom is re-signed.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Eriksson has two years left. Vancouver isn't giving up a good young goalie AND a first to get rid of him

2 years left @ 6M with a full NTC for a sub 30 point player. No one is taking that without a significant asset coming back

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I actually do think you might be able to move Sutter with retention. Baertchi would take retention or a buyout, even with 1 year left.

Beagle and Eriksson are just not moveable.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

well this is false. not gonna get into the multiple times guys have given up good players/picks to get away from a bad contract but your statement just is incorrect

Mason for Armia +4th +7th comes to mind. pretty recent

Reactions: go4hockey

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Vancouver would be foolish to get rid of Demko or Markstrom until the expansion draft.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
well this is false. not gonna get into the multiple times guys have given up good players/picks to get away from a bad contract but your statement just is incorrect

I should have said more recent, fair enough, but Armia, 4th, and 7th is not a 1st.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Mason had 1 year remaining.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
DiPietro has many more question marks, as he is still very young, but he fits the timeline of this team much better, assuming that Markstrom is re-signed.
Would you do 2022 1st + DiPietro/Virtanen to offload Eriksson? I just have a hard time seeing him moved without a first attached especially considering it’s not a 2020 1st.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Zero chance Baertschi who has ongoing concussion concerns retires with 3.3 million on the table. What a pipe dream.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Sven Baertschi and Brandon Sutter are solid players. If I'm a fan of a team looking for a top-9 center or winger, trading for one of these guys could make more sense than making a long-term mistake on July 1st.

After Loui Eriksson gets his signing bonus this summer, he'll make 2.5mill/year in actual dollars (compared to his 6mill/year cap hit). A rebuilding team should consider trading for him imo.

Canucks may also need to explore an Antoine Roussel trade to create cap space to re-sign others.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Sven Baertschi and Brandon Sutter are solid players. If I'm a fan of a team looking for a top-9 center or winger, trading for one of these guys could make more sense than making a long-term mistake on July 1st.

After Loui Eriksson gets his signing bonus this summer, he'll make 2.5mill/year in actual dollars (compared to his 6mill/year cap hit). A rebuilding team should consider trading for him imo.

Canucks may also need to explore an Antoine Roussel trade to create cap space to re-sign others.
Baertschi successfully passed through waivers twice this season. Teams looking for a top 9 guy had plenty of opportunity to take him

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad