Value of: Canucks - Available Assets (picks and players) + bad contract

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
2 years left @ 6M with a full NTC for a sub 30 point player. No one is taking that without a significant asset coming back
If Eriksson is traded after his bonus kicks in I believe he is owed something like 5 million over 2 seasons with a cap hit of 6 per. You would think a cap floor team would be interested in that. Might take a pot sweetener but I would think that is more of a b level prospect or later pick.

Reactions: Yannickg

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
•Bear cheese will be a buy out so no need to lose a assets for him.
•Sutter with retention at the tdl 2021 will have value(depending on where we are in the standing or if someone can take his spot)
•I’ll not be surprise if Erickson retire at the end of this season or trade to a cap floor team.
•Beagle we can keep him until the end of next season and lets see.
So basically no need to lose any asset or draft pick on those guys,Canucks are fine cap wise.

Last edited:

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
If Eriksson is traded after his bonus kicks in I believe he is owed something like 5 million over 2 seasons with a cap hit of 6 per. You would think a cap floor team would be interested in that. Might take a pot sweetener but I would think that is more of a b level prospect or later pick.
Totally agree with you

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Jake Virtanen is not an available asset imo. He's on pace for 20+ goals while playing on the 3rd line at 13min/game. How many other players are doing that right now? Also, he's a hometown guy that was selected w/ a high pick, and beginning to live up to his 1st round selection.

I do think a draft pick or prospect could be traded if Loui Eriksson doesn't want to retire/terminate his contract this summer. Imo, Eriksson likely does retire/terminate his contract though, as he'll be paid out 31 of the 36mill on his contract (w/ a career earnings of 61 million-ish). Also, his young family allegedly moved back to Dallas last year; I can't imagine he'd want to be away from them for very long. I believe the only reason he gutted it out this season is b/c he'll pocket 8mill from July 1st 2019, to July 1st 2020 (7mill in signing bonuses). Hard to see him gut out a full season, at a 1mill base salary, if he's still w/ the Canucks for the 2020-21 season: he'd probably be able to re-coop a good portion of the 5mill he may leave on the table if he does terminate his contract and want to keep playing w/ another team.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You stated 2 options. I simply replied that one of them wasn’t reasonable.
Suggesting that a 27 YO multi millionaire with a career altering head injury would retire rather than toil one more year in the minor leagues, risking further damage, is certainly not unreasonable. There are more probable outcomes, sure, but retirement is certainly not out of the question.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Suggesting that a 27 YO multi millionaire with a career altering head injury would retire rather than toil one more year in the minor leagues, risking further damage, is certainly not unreasonable. There are more probable outcomes, sure, but retirement is certainly not out of the question.
He didn't say it was out of the question. He said it isn't a reasonable expectation, which is correct. This is his first big contract, and almost certainly his last.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He didn't say it was out of the question. He said it isn't a reasonable expectation, which is correct. This is his first big contract, and almost certainly his last.
Yes, that is exactly what he said, and what I was replying to:

DingDongCharlie said: Zero chance Baertschi who has ongoing concussion concerns retires with 3.3 million on the table. What a pipe dream.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yes, that is exactly what he said, and what I was replying to:

DingDongCharlie said: Zero chance Baertschi who has ongoing concussion concerns retires with 3.3 million on the table. What a pipe dream.
Okay, I assumed this was a conversation about Ferland. But yes, that is a massive, obvious pipe dream. Baertschi is currently healthy and has repeatedly, strongly stated his ambition to return to the league. There's no reason to believe he'll retire and I haven't seen this suggested anywhere else. I'll make you a 20-1 bet right now he doesn't retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad