GDT: Canucks at the World Juniors in August

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Fine to say you dont care but offering excuses for the players and coaches representing their countries is odd. It's not like it's Pierre Luc Dubois out on the ice trying to get traded here.

Absolutely this tourney has been met with some negative challenges but it's not an excuse to dismiss it and that's not really fair to the players and countries doing well here.

Latvia was excellent and you gotta love the spirit and pride they have as a country on the international circuit right now. They will be back making noise

Germany was without 4 stud players who could have made them a formidable opponent to anyone but still showed they are improving on the big stages

The Finns are stacked and that PP is unbelievable.

The Czechs just pulled off a HUUUGE upset manhandling the US physically and forcing them to the outside without taking penalties until a 5min PP they still were able to get through and win

There's a reason why the IIHF schedules the world junior championships in NA every second year and in Canada at least every three years.

That's because there's traditionally been very little interest in this tournament in Europe, and some of the events held in Russia, Finland and even Sweden have had serious attendance problems. Nothing as bad as what we're currently seeing in Edmonton, but lackluster nevertheless.

Since this tournament has traditionally been a big money-maker for Hockey Canada and the IIHF with big TSN rights and nightly sell-outs, it's only natural they're going to go where they can makes the most money. And that isn't in Europe, where they're a lot more interested in the Olympics, the World Hockey Championships and their club teams, in that order.
I had a package in Vancouver a few yrs ago and most of the games were poorly attended without Canada in them. Was a disaster when they got knocked out by the Finns. I could only imagine what that looked like re scheduled and in the summer?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How the F did Kulich drop to 28. What a steal Buffalo

There was an Athletic article about Sam Ventura doing a huge integration of analytics into their drafting process and developing a proprietary internal rating system. Curious to see how things pans out for them.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
There was an Athletic article about Sam Ventura doing a huge integration of analytics into their drafting process and developing a proprietary internal rating system. Curious to see how things pans out for them.
Yes i read about that on the Sabres site after their draft. Should be interesting. It's tough to relay analytics from juniors or other leagues to NHL. The gaps in time and space are massive without even so much as taking into account how much stronger and smarter they are gonna be when engaged in 1v1 battle. It's why i value hockey sense and having translatable skills so much

Analytics aside Kulich was one of faster rising players in the 2022 draft and it didnt take a scouting degree to see that he checked a lot of boxes in the tools department but most importantly had high level hockey sense to go with it. I'm shocked he went 28 given the improvements in access to information. I must be missing something because quite frankly i was hoping we took him or Yurov at 15. Yurov was much harder to get viewings on so i will reserve some judgement there but he could be a massive steal for Minnesota. Bottom line is JIri Kulich is a hell of a prospect already just taken 28th in a weak draft

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Not even 5... 4 months, now less than. Players would already be leaving their junior/pro teams before mid Dec.

Yesterday, Gord Miller was saying the hockey committee said these players deserved to finish out their junior eligibility with this tournament and thats why they went through with it. I think thats stupid.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not even 5... 4 months, now less than. Players would already be leaving their junior/pro teams before mid Dec.

Yesterday, Gord Miller was saying the hockey committee said these players deserved to finish out their junior eligibility with this tournament and thats why they went through with it. I think thats stupid.
i am sure money had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Vector

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They deserve way more attention but Rogers doesn't have the rights so they bury the tourney and show Cleveland vs Hobokin baseball instead

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
RDT_20220818_1908488687852184420765857.png

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
as an aside, the raptors are playing a sunday night pre-season game here, and tickets sold out in like, 7 minutes.

re-sale prices are through the roof

it's not apples to apples but it's a couple of pretty damning data points for hockey

Reactions: Lindgren

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
15 minutes before puck drop for the semi-final ft Canada:

View attachment 578174

why is this sport run by morons?
It's mostly empty because they left the "Oilers attack twice" up.

as an aside, the raptors are playing a sunday night pre-season game here, and tickets sold out in like, 7 minutes.

re-sale prices are through the roof

it's not apples to apples but it's a couple of pretty damning data points for hockey
Raptors are also "Canada's Team" and you rarely get to watch a professional basketball game.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's mostly empty because they left the "Oilers attack twice" up.

Raptors are also "Canada's Team" and you rarely get to watch a professional basketball game.
The blazers and warrior played here like 3/4 years ago and it was sold out too.

Such a shame that the Grizzlies were allowed to be relocated. But different economics back then.

Reactions: racerjoe

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
15 minutes before puck drop for the semi-final ft Canada:

View attachment 578174

why is this sport run by morons?

Speaking for myself (and I know that this is a long standing gripe for us West Coasters) - I'm working during 95% of the games. By the time I get home each evening, it's already done because the games are either mid-day or in the afternoon.

I realize TORONNA doesn't want to stay up late to watch hockey, but man. I'd certainly tune in if the game started in the evening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad