GDT: Canucks at the World Juniors in August

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know some of the scouting services and Canuck fans on HF Boards, have been less than bullish on Jurmo, since the Canucks picked him in the third round. His draft-plus-one season in Finland was a bit of red flag.

But it looks to me like he's worked hard on his game and certainly showed enough at Development Camp, to be at least considered a viable prospect again. And earning a spot on the Finnish WJHC team is a real promising sign.

Most players who play at the WJHC usually end up signing an NHL contract eventually. So hopefully Jurmo ultimately ends up in Abbotsford, where we'll get a chance to see where he's at.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I would not expect Jurmo to play a big role in WJC. He's probably currently 7th or 8th on Finland's D depth chart.
Nurmi - Niemelä
Viro - Rafkin
Heimosalmi - Puutio
Jurmo - Rajaniemi

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kudos to Truscott.....he's shown steady, if unspectacular progress at the U of Michigan since being drafted. If he can legitimately make the USA World Jr. team then he's at least a solid candidate to be signed by the Canucks once his college career is done.

You can't expect much more than that from a guy drafted in the fifth round-144th overall.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Corey Pronman
@coreypronman
·
Follow
FIN beats SWE 2-1 in pre tournament action.

Both of the goalies Wallstedt and Merilainen were excellent and named players of the game. For Finland I liked their top line of Hirvonen-Raty-Kemell and Koivunen. For Sweden I liked Lekkerimaki the most.
6:28 PM · Aug 4, 2022

Reactions: Lindgren

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Really pumped to see what Lekk can do here. We all know it doesn’t mean much if he doesn’t get lots of points at this tournament, but if you look at leading scorers in this tournament, most of them go on to be high impact NHL players, so if he does light it up here, it means something.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
EP2 will likely make the roster on the next World Juniors.

Truscott is the most surprising player to make it, I'm guessing the coach is banking on instant chemistry with Luke.
if thats the case then he will play big 5v5 minutes which would be great to see

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Pretty hard to get a d spot on team Sweden as a 22 draft selection, though Ludwig Jannson did make the team and he was drafted after Pettersson. Did we draft the wrong defenseman?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I feel like Truscott will be put in after Hughes and whoever he is paired with struggle

Unless they go with that off the bat.
The national team program has played guys who play together outside of the team on the same pairing or line.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Intrigued by Lekkerimaki. Didnt expect him to be in the U20s at just turned 18 so it will be interesting to see if he can have an impact.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Reallybexcited to watch lekkimakkkiii

Sorry, i disconnected 😂

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Pretty hard to get a d spot on team Sweden as a 22 draft selection, though Ludwig Jannson did make the team and he was drafted after Pettersson. Did we draft the wrong defenseman?
Given the HC of juniorkronorna, that's rather an indication that you drafted the better D. So, wouldn't put much stock in who made the team or not.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Jurmo did not look very good. Biggest mistake was giving up the puck from behind the goal line and then later making bad passes and not giving his partner return options. Looks big but is slow and plays small

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Jurmo just drew a penalty with his strong skating so that was good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad