Speculation: Canucks are more likely to sign Boeser to a bridge deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Might hit 60s in his peak years? He was 5 points shy of that in his rookie season despite missing 20 games, and his sophomore season was almost identical, how do you figure he'll hit 60s in his peak? Boeser is a great sniper and extremely underrated play maker, he will hit PPG+ in his peak playing with Pettersson.

Development isn't linear. Just a gut feeling but of course I hope I'm wrong.

Fuimus

Jun 24, 2014
do they have that with the salary cap ?
They have just over 5M in cap space with a 24 man roster. Therefore 2 players will have to be waived and leaving them with a little over 7M to sign Brock. Also Roussel will be on LTIR to start the season so that is another 2M net in cap space when you account for his replacement. That gives them a few more months if they need it which I don't think will come into play but just in case. So yes they do have the cap space.

Reactions: ddawg1950

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
it's about 80% irony - 20% of it is true to a group of fans that seem to harp on him for a multitude of short-sighted reasons

i have pretty much watched 90% of all vancouver games since my wife had to accept she would not be part of a hockey household, then adopting it, then becoming a full fledged vancouver fan. They've never been my first team (living in BC) but having watched them so much for the past 6 years - while this turning of the corner has been painfully slow it is starting to happen.

we go to 2 or more games a year as well - and can tell the difference last year - they are starting to come. NOW that Benning has the team tip-toeing in the right direction, yes i do worry what he might/could do to 'rush' (nevermind whether the owner pushes him) this path but details seem to be decent right now.

stud D - they have an all world talent in Hughes, and have given him solid mentors. Edler can show him two way / Tanev can show him defence / Benn can show him work ethic to stay relevant. Benn's 2 million expires when Hughes needs his

stud C - 2 more years under a million, almost a crime. while he has to get stronger, a guy that has datsyuk and forsberg like plays in him, sky is the limit. sutter's almost 5 million comes off when he needs his

scoring wingers - miller/baertschi/pearson/ferland. i know - isn't going to scream power but if two can get 20 and other two get 15.. you have 70 goals. quarter of the way to an excellent offensive team nowadays, or a third of the way to a good enough offensive team

roussel and beagle have been fine. roussel was shinier last year doing what he broke in doing in Dallas - be visible, standing up for people, annoying the other team, chipping in, hitting and skating up and down. Beagle won faceoffs, worked his ass off, good on the bench. both these guys are worth their money in how they mentor the youth - unless you have actually played it's hard to put a value on that veteran presence but don't ever discount it
*side note - one of the games last year late we went to versus calgary - beagle was noticeable in all the non camera angle places. talking to guys after plays, on the bench, from the bench - the young guys.

the biggest pickle (which i believe was a sedins request) is eriksson - he has to dump that or send him down (i know it only cuts about 1.3 or so million).. gotta move it. or my own personal vendetta - trade sutter
very good post. Benning haters, refuse to accept that when he took over he had literally no prospects and a couple of players under 26. He had a bunch of vets with bad contracts and an owner and a core that still wanted to compete. Besides Loiu who was the twins and owners target more then Benning, he brought in several vets like Vrbata Miller to continue being a playoff team. He also at the same time needed to get some younger players and placeholders for when the inevitable decline hit. He was able to do that without giving up or anchoring the club. In reality he has only been in full rebuild for 3 years and has only amassed the best young core in that time without the luxury of a top 3 pick. He has made good signings the last 2 summers and all the vets contracts expire before we even come close to being in a tight spot. Benning has earned an extension and the trust of the fans.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
very good post. Benning haters, refuse to accept that when he took over he had literally no prospects and a couple of players under 26. He had a bunch of vets with bad contracts and an owner and a core that still wanted to compete. Besides Loiu who was the twins and owners target more then Benning, he brought in several vets like Vrbata Miller to continue being a playoff team. He also at the same time needed to get some younger players and placeholders for when the inevitable decline hit. He was able to do that without giving up or anchoring the club. In reality he has only been in full rebuild for 3 years and has only amassed the best young core in that time without the luxury of a top 3 pick. He has made good signings the last 2 summers and all the vets contracts expire before we even come close to being in a tight spot. Benning has earned an extension and the trust of the fans.

Thank you.. and i will add one detail

Everyone was afraid at what myers was going to get.. and while myers isnt my cup of tea dollars and term are respectable

He needed something he got it he did not grossly overpay based on Market

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The league rewards bad teams with high picks. The Canucks were bound to get younger and have good prospect no matter who was in charge. It is a natural cycle that happens independent of management. You need to use a reasonable baseline to measure Benning against to truly understand how terrible he is.

Also at the end of the day you own your successes and failures. Blaming Linden, Aqua, or the Sedins is foolish unless you’re going to diminish the credit Benning has received for drafting Pettersson/Boeser because the heavy lifting was done by the scouts.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The league rewards bad teams with high picks. The Canucks were bound to get younger and have good prospect no matter who was in charge. It is a natural cycle that happens independent of management. You need to use a reasonable baseline to measure Benning against to truly understand how terrible he is.

Also at the end of the day you own your successes and failures. Blaming Linden, Aqua, or the Sedins is foolish unless you’re going to diminish the credit Benning has received for drafting Pettersson/Boeser because the heavy lifting was done by the scouts.

No disrespect meant it but you kind of contradicted yourself in the same post. Gaining good young talent and depth does not happen without management I'm sorry.

I don't think I need to cite examples of this but I will just by saying Edmonton Oilers... it can go either way good management bad management..

I will clarify in case this aggravates anybody from what I've seen I don't necessarily think there's people in here pumping Jim Benning up to be solid and a great GM I think they are mostly saying cut him some slack he's not as bad as a lot think he is

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No disrespect meant it but you kind of contradicted yourself in the same post. Gaining good young talent and depth does not happen without management I'm sorry.

I don't think I need to cite examples of this but I will just by saying Edmonton Oilers... it can go either way good management bad management..

I will clarify in case this aggravates anybody from what I've seen I don't necessarily think there's people in here pumping Jim Benning up to be solid and a great GM I think they are mostly saying cut him some slack he's not as bad as a lot think he is

When you consistently get high picks it takes an extreme level of incompetence/bad luck in order to not have a good collection of prospects and young players. It’s how the draft works. Whether or not that translates into a quality team is up to management. The Canucks have not shown to be anything but a bottom feeder aside from a brief playoff appearance on the back of the Sedins. They’ve spend a bunch in free agency over the years and have saddled this team with some awful contracts when they weren’t even competing. Benning is not competent and doesn’t deserve any slack. He’s a moron.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
When you consistently get high picks it takes an extreme level of incompetence/bad luck in order to not have a good collection of prospects and young players. It’s how the draft works. Whether or not that translates into a quality team is up to management. The Canucks have not shown to be anything but a bottom feeder aside from a brief playoff appearance on the back of the Sedins. They’ve spend a bunch in free agency over the years and have saddled this team with some awful contracts when they weren’t even competing. Benning is not competent and doesn’t deserve any slack. He’s a moron.

sigh - ok

Reactions: Theodore450

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

You talk about baselines and how every team goes through a cycle when they lose and therefore a bound to get good young players. So for a baseline lets compare teams that were or are in simalir positions and what they have done that proves in your mind how terrible of a gm he is. First of all keep in mind that what Benning had to work with and where he has drafted is not irrelevant or not important. Lets use the Leafs, Oilers, Sabres and the Devils, as they have all been in a rebuild around the time the Nucks started. First off the Nucks were far more successful in the last 10 years before Benning took over in 2014 therefore he had fewer younger players he could flip, he also had by far the oldest team. The teams im comparing him too had a good 7-10 years of finishing with at least lottery picks, a team like the leafs also had more assets to move. All those team's had at least one 1st overall pick, and they all have drafted a player to be considered generational, the highest Van has picked in 20 years is 5th. Yet even with years of high top 3 picks these teams have yet to win a round in what 10 years? Bennings 1st season, he had no choice but to remain competitive while still trying to add some players under the age of 26, we had one player Bo who was under 26. Benning went out signed Louie, Vrbata, and Miller, Nucks made the playoffs. Sorry forgot that Kesler demanded a trade to one team basically throwing away Bennings one good asset. He made a good trade getting Baer from the flames, and added some younger placeholders in Vey and Granny. He also was pushed by the owners to draft Jake a hometown kid but I actually like that pick, tho Benning had him 4th on his list of players he wanted. Over the next couple of seasons he made a few trades, many people don't like the Sutter trade, but Sutter was better then Bonino and the team needed someone who could play 2nd line centre and Sutter was the best he could do without trading away anything of value. Guddy was terrible I wont try to defend it, but he did rectify it by fleecing the Pens. Obviously there were a lot more minor transactions but if you compare everything Benning has done against other gms in simalir positions, Benning has done nothing that has cost the teamong term. The Nucks have 3 players left from when Benning took over. He was able to transition to a younger team with arguably the best young core assembled in the last 4 years, all while picking no higher then 5th. In that same time the Leafs have picked 3rd, 1st and 7th. The Sabres have picked 1st 2nd, 3rd and 7th and 8th, the Devils 1st 1st, cant remeber the rest atm, and the Oilers have picked 1st, 3rd, 4th, 8th and 10th. The leafs for all their hype have not won a round, are in cap hell, and things are only getting worse. The Sabres are still a bottom team, the Devils are on the up but have been blessed, and the Oilers are still a bottom 5 team. The Nucks who have had no top 4 picks, had zero prospects, and have only been rebuilding for 3 years, have restocked their cupboards, have just a ton of cap space over the next 4 years and have zero anchors and not one contract that will cripple them. Surr Benning hasnt been perfect, but when you look at what hes done as a whole you see a young exciting team, with a solid bunch of prospects and vets on contracts that will be replaced internally. Beagle Rousell Sutter, arnt stars, but they all are good bottom 6 players who are doing exactly what they were intended to do, be placeholders while younger kids ripen.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
I truly dont understand why beagle gets thrown into the awful contract pile

3 million for 3 more years. Buyout proof due to signing bonuses and his contract has a modified NTC, so you can't even dump him to a floor team if he doesn't want to go there.

Insanity for a career 3rd/4th liner in his mid 30's who put up meh numbers that would barely be worth a million. How many career 3rd/4th liners play well until they're 36? If they signed someone at half of Beagle's contract, they could have signed Boeser to a 6 year deal.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
So its numbers. Points?

It's more like he's aging and replacement calibre. He wasn't expected to put up a lot of points, but he's not worth the money he's being paid considering he's not doing as well defensively and from a possession standpoint.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Ubderstandable considering the difference in teams he came from to now

I dont understand pointing to him though. Schaller was a whiff, and sutter seems like he has become irrelevant

Schaller can go down and one of biega or fantenburg and that is 2.7 or 2.8

We arent sure how this eriksson thing plays out, benning can look good out of it or not, but that and boeser is are their two main issues right now

Point at eriksson and cleaning that up first. This could also be the year that tanev actually moves.. there is almost 5

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
3 million for 3 more years. Buyout proof due to signing bonuses and his contract has a modified NTC, so you can't even dump him to a floor team if he doesn't want to go there.

Insanity for a career 3rd/4th liner in his mid 30's who put up meh numbers that would barely be worth a million. How many career 3rd/4th liners play well until they're 36? If they signed someone at half of Beagle's contract, they could have signed Boeser to a 6 year deal.

That modified NTC becomes just a 5-team no trade list next summer.

If he's traded tomorrow there is just $5.6M in real dollars due him spread over 3 seasons ($1.86M per yr)

He should have no problem playing til he's 36 because he's a total fitness nut.

He's physical, a great leader, and an elite penalty killing centre.

Canucks have plenty of room to sign Boeser.

(sign Boeser and that makes 25 players on the roster)

(meaning 2 players would be sent down if tomorrow were opening day)

(which would leave $7.2M altogether for Boeser)

(sorry for all the brackets)

Beagle might be overpaid slightly AAV-wise, but he's a valuable member of the team, no need to trade him...

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This article says Boeser is looking for a 4 year/$28 million deal ($7mil per):

https://www.tsn.ca/report-vancouver-canucks-f-brock-boeser-eyeing-four-year-28m-deal-1.1354385

Takes him to UFA? That seems like the worst of all worlds if you are the Canucks. You don’t get to buy into his free agent years yet still pay him a really high AAV. Do a real bridge or make the long-term commitment...there is risk/reward in both. This four year type deal with high AAV seems all risk and little reward for the club.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
That modified NTC becomes just a 5-team no trade list next summer.

If he's traded tomorrow there is just $5.6M in real dollars due him spread over 3 seasons ($1.86M per yr)

He should have no problem playing til he's 36 because he's a total fitness nut.

He's physical, a great leader, and an elite penalty killing centre.

Canucks have plenty of room to sign Boeser.

(sign Boeser and that makes 25 players on the roster)

(meaning 2 players would be sent down if tomorrow were opening day)

(which would leave $7.2M altogether for Boeser)

(sorry for all the brackets)

Beagle might be overpaid slightly AAV-wise, but he's a valuable member of the team, no need to trade him...

He's a replacement level player, you don't pay a premium for that because of "leadership". Especially as the nucks will have trouble paying pettersson now.

Kuzmas article benning talks of a blessing from ownership to put more of his duds in the AHL. Owners are fine with being tight to the cap and potentially losing our "core" so who cares I guess.

Tuffy gosewich

Aug 21, 2019
Takes him to UFA? That seems like the worst of all worlds if you are the Canucks. You don’t get to buy into his free agent years yet still pay him a really high AAV. Do a real bridge or make the long-term commitment...there is risk/reward in both. This four year type deal with high AAV seems all risk and little reward for the club.
It doesn't take him to UFA

Reactions: BKarchitect

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
4 @ 7mm seems reasonable, but I thought he'd make more than Lee. I would say he's already a better player, and that will only grow over the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad