Speculation: Canucks are more likely to sign Boeser to a bridge deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honestly i think this is a great idea for both sides.

Boeser really hasnt done enough to get a massive extension so let him bet on himself for next few years to see how he does and then hopefully sign it

Also for Canucks standpoint a bridge is perfect.. Dont hand him that massive deal that alot of RFAs want. Sure they may have to pay more down the road, but itll be worth it by then if he ends up excelling.

3 years at 6ish mill seems fair

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Bridge makes sense here. If BB starts playing 75 plus games consistantly i think Canucks will pay him what he wants down the line.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Not such a bad idea. I'm not sure I'm completely sold on Boeser being able to stay healthy and consistently score 30+ goals. A bridge helps insulate that risk, and I'm generally more in favour of shorter term deals if possible. Long term deals are always a risk/reward thing, they can pay off massively should the cap increase and they continue to improve, or they could completely flop and you end up with an unmovable contract. The game is always evolving, and certain types of players can become obsolete seemingly overnight.. Perhaps at 22 years old a 7-8 year deal is less risky, but you never know.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Something like the Meier deal I'd be happy with.
Ballpark for the comparables for brock are Meier for bridge and nylander if he’s selling ufa years.

I don’t expect any of the big rfa to sign away multiple ufa years like the prior rfa classes. Seen too many guys underpaid 2-3 years into the deal.

Players need to think age and leverage.

Skinner and Hayes were able to land big contracts because they were 27. So you’re selling 5-6 prime years. So in a much better negotiating position to get the max term.

4 years for brock takes him to 26. He can get max term on the next deal to take him to 33/34.

I’d expect something like $25 over 4 yrs to arrive at $6.25 mill. Structure can be front loaded to ensure he gets his money or he can go the Meier route to secure a large QO for his final rfa year if he opts to hit ufa ASAP.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
****ing hate the idea of a bridge deal so OF COURSE that’s what Benning will do.
Brock isn’t signing for 7-8 years unless it’s for insane money, like Skinner money.

Players aren’t locking themselves into potential underpaid deals like Scheiffle, MacKinnon did 3 years back.

He’s 5 years from ufa like Meier and Nylander. As well as Connor. Those are his best comps.

Not much difference in the Meier vs Nylander deals when you break down the details. With a QO of $10 million for his final rfa year Meier is looking at $6.8 mill per rfa year. $34 mill over 5. Nylander is basically $42 mill over 6, so $7 mill per. Meaning that that extra year which is a ufa year is $8 million which based off skinner is a bargain.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ballpark for the comparables for brock are Meier for bridge and nylander if he’s selling ufa years.

I don’t expect any of the big rfa to sign away multiple ufa years like the prior rfa classes. Seen too many guys underpaid 2-3 years into the deal.

Players need to think age and leverage.

Skinner and Hayes were able to land big contracts because they were 27. So you’re selling 5-6 prime years. So in a much better negotiating position to get the max term.

4 years for brock takes him to 26. He can get max term on the next deal to take him to 33/34.

I’d expect something like $25 over 4 yrs to arrive at $6.25 mill. Structure can be front loaded to ensure he gets his money or he can go the Meier route to secure a large QO for his final rfa year if he opts to hit ufa ASAP.

You’ve gotta think that Brock should be well ahead of Nylander; he clearly out-performed him on a considerably weaker team in each of their 3 ELC seasons when you compare them. Meier is tougher to compare but I think he deserves more than Meier and by more than a $.25M margin as well.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
We blew all our cap space on Myers and Ferland just to sign one of our few star players to a bridge deal? What a f’ing joke.
would mean theres a chance of keeping brock around longer as after bridge canucks would still retain rights instead of ufa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad