Rumor: Canucks are interested in signing UFA LW Jaden Schwartz

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Make it stop. Can we get rid of the deadweight contracts before we take on more FAs? We need to stop paying players for their past performance on other teams. The only redeeming quality of this management/ownership is the record at the draft table. The draft record has blemishes but is overall good IMO. If it were not for an above average draft, this organization would be a complete tire-fire.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Make it stop. Can we get rid of the deadweight contracts before we take on more FAs? We need to stop paying players for their past performance on other teams. The only redeeming quality of this management/ownership is the record at the draft table. The draft record has blemishes but is overall good IMO. If it were not for an above average draft, this organization would be a complete tire-fire.

This management wouldn't have a job if Linden didn't come down on the scouts/Brackett's side in the Glass/Pettersson debate. They would have been toast years ahead of schedule had EP not dropped into the NHL as a first line player.

Reactions: Pavel96 and Kearns

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

This is why having bad contracts come off the books is meaningless when Jimbo is still the GM.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Love Schwartz as a player and always have, but it's hard to justify paying him what he'll get when they literally just signed Tanner Pearson.

If they had moved Pearson for a high pick at the deadline and used that $3.25m plus another couple million to upgrade to Schwartz - great. He's a perfect theoretical linemate for Bo.

The roster still has space for him, but the cap allocation just won't make sense.

Yeah, pretty much.

Reactions: MarkMM

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Isn't that kind of the point of free agency though?

Reactions: Kearns

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
That would be a players PoV for sure. I don't see it as a winning management plan.
I get what you're saying, but I think regardless teams are usually paying players in FA based on their past performances. Competent managment however would be able to get better contracts or pass on those players. Sometimes I think it is a crapshoot though.

Reactions: MarkMM and Kearns

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I kinda like Schwartz. He’s actually been a fringe top line guy until this season. If you can get him on a Toffoli type covid deal that’d be great. He’s also money in the playoffs.

Reactions: B-rock

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Apparently Benning's strategy for signing Pettersson and Hughes is to sign a big free agent or two first and then say to them "Hey Petey and Huggy Bear, umm, you know, the team, we only have, like, $5,000,000 left in our capspace for each of you guys...sorry".

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Benning just does not learn. Between this and Zach Hyman I feel physically ill. You just know he's going to do something stupid and end up with another Eriksson type contract on the books. Don't get me wrong, Schwartz is and has been a great player, but the thought of committing to him long term and overpaying scares me.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Benning just does not learn. Between this and Zach Hyman I feel physically ill. You just know he's going to do something stupid and end up with another Eriksson type contract on the books. Don't get me wrong, Schwartz is and has been a great player, but the thought of committing to him long term and overpaying scares me.

Its unbelievable how someone in a management position can be so unintelligent. He simply doesnt learn from his bad mistakes.

How can the ownership take a look at the roster, the cap mismanagement, and allow any more of this nonsence that will cripple the team more in the future?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
bUt MoSt Of ThE bAd CoNtRaCtS aRe dOnE iN a cOuPlE oF yEaRs!!!

mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know if I like the idea of playing Miller as 3C.

He'll get leftover scraps as his wingers and then we'll have a 5m+ cap hit in the bottom-6 just checking away. This is a guy that can put up 60-70 points with an all around game in the top-6.

To me it makes a lot more sense to acquire a cheaper, more traditional checking 3C and keep Miller as a top-6 W.

If the Canucks were being operated under some degree of competence I'd say look how the team ran an effective top six late last season with Pettersson out, so add a Schwarz in the offseason and bring over Podkolzin into the mix and you're looking at a very strong top 9. Drop the designated 3rd line is a checking line mindset and this would be comparable to how Carolina's forward group is set up.

Of course we have Jim Benning running the team so it's hard to see how he can pull this off cap wise and a strong top 9 isn't going to amount to much with how bad the defense will probably be to accommodate the extra F cap hit.

Reactions: MarkMM

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Does Benning never Learn? Stop signing older, declining players to retirement contracts! How about trade our declining older guys for picks, and develop our own players?
WE would have so many more prospects to fill team roles if Benning hadn’t been trading away picks and prospects. God! This guy just doesn’t have any idea what he says doing!
It's not possible because Canucks organizational incompetence consistently decrease the value of their assets and we have more than enough examples to support this.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Isn't that kind of the point of free agency though?

Yeah, but it only makes sense for teams in a position to do so productively.

Benning has put the Canucks in a position where we need to unravel the damage he's done to our cap structure before free agency is a good option.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Love Schwartz as a player and always have, but it's hard to justify paying him what he'll get when they literally just signed Tanner Pearson.

If they had moved Pearson for a high pick at the deadline and used that $3.25m plus another couple million to upgrade to Schwartz - great. He's a perfect theoretical linemate for Bo.

The roster still has space for him, but the cap allocation just won't make sense.

My thoughts exactly.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
One of Don Cherry’s all time favorite players

but for some reason every single year he would say on coaches corner how criminal it was that he was making the league minimum despite making over $5 million a year.

Reactions: Nucker101

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
One of Don Cherry’s all time favorite players

but for some reason every single year he would say on coaches corner how criminal it was that he was making the league minimum despite making over $5 million a year.
Not surprising Cherry has a problem with numbers. Particularly the number 5, as in the number of allowable players on the ice (excluding the goalie).:sarcasm:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This is where the Pearson deal blows. I’d rather spend 1-2M more AAV for an actual play driver.

That being said, if Schwartz is looking for a 5 year deal then I’d be out.

3 years(maybe 4 if it reduces AAV) and I’d pay 4-5M instead of paying Pearson.

Reactions: Canucks5551

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What side of the defense does he play on? He’s a LHS but can he play RD?

Only figured he’s playing defense since we have none and have like a billion forwards.

Reactions: VintageBure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad