Rumor: Canucks are interested in signing UFA LW Jaden Schwartz

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As long as the term is reasonable, I'm totally cool with this. A 2-way winger who can drive play, not the best finisher but makes a lot of sense for this team since all 3 centers can score(assuming Miller is moved to C in this scenario).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
As long as the term is reasonable, I'm totally cool with this. A 2-way winger who can drive play, not the best finisher but makes a lot of sense for this team since all 3 centers can score(assuming Miller is moved to C in this scenario).
This might be his last chance to get another big money contract (he's 29). I'm thinking he's looking for a decent lengthy deal and/or a raise over his last cap hit of $5 million+. Canucks can want all they want but they (imho) can't afford him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This might be his last chance to get another big money contract (he's 29). I'm thinking he's looking for a decent lengthy deal and/or a raise over his last cap hit of $5 million+. Canucks can want all they want but they (imho) can't afford him.
Oh yea, I definitely expect him to look for the max term he can get. I also believe Benning’s goal is to survive year to year at this point so he’s going to hand out term and NTC/NMC like candy to reduce AAV if ownership is cool with it

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Narrator voice: But the term wouldn't be reasonable, and he wasn't cool with it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Im ok with anything <3.0m a year

Unless he gets Hoffman's I'd imagine Schwartz will get something like 5x5. Production was down last season, probably lost the top line role to said Hoffman, but he still had 21 points in 40 games and that coming off a 57 points in 71 games the season before.

Hard to say how much of this is just the typical noise at this point of the season and how much is stuff Jim Benning is actually contemplating.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What's up with Canucks having interest in players from Saskatchewan? This a Ron Delorme thing?

Doesn't make much sense signing Pearson and Schwartz. I think Schwartz is a player who is already showing signs of decline and he's historically injury prone..

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
It never ends. There’s no way you’re getting Jaden Schwartz on a good value contract. Just f***ing stop with the old declining UFA’s
They want to 'win now'. That seems to be their MO so they're going to go for it.

Probably will end up sacrificing lots of future assets to clear cap so they can make a few signings this FA.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Swartz, given the miles he's logged and the fall off in play in recent times, is a perfect candidate to fulfill the role Eriksson has played on the team since his arrival. Wants his retirement payout and Benning is the ATM needed to get it. Dreadful decision if made.

Hyman is a different case. Presently tons better than Swartz and would be of real help. But term is likely to be way too long.

Yet I could see the Canucks greatly lowering their position in the draft to get the cap space to make any such deal (like ship out position with Eriksson) . Benning is desperate to cling to the job and get his money so likely end up lowering the team's draft position and getting a couple of mediocre years out of Swartz before he becomes absolutely dead cap space. Just life under the the existing regime which has no interest in the long term future of the team especially if it means they might have to put their jobs at jeopardy.

Hope, in the end, the Sedins don't become party to this and get out like Linden did when they see most things are about the self interest of Benning and co.

Reactions: mathonwy and tyhee

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Swartz, given the miles he's logged and the fall off in play in recent times, is a perfect candidate to fulfill the role Eriksson has played on the team since his arrival. Wants his retirement payout and Benning is the ATM needed to get it. Dreadful decision if made.

Hyman is a different case. Presently tons better than Swartz and would be of real help. But term is likely to be way too long.

Yet I could see the Canucks greatly lowering their position in the draft to get the cap space to make any such deal (like ship out position with Eriksson) . Benning is desperate to cling to the job and get his money so likely end up lowering the team's draft position and getting a couple of mediocre years out of Swartz before he becomes absolutely dead cap space. Just life under the the existing regime which has no interest in the long term future of the team especially if it means they might have to put their jobs at jeopardy.

Hope, in the end, the Sedins don't become party to this and get out like Linden did when they see most things are about the self interest of Benning and co.
It's crazy that Jaden Schwartz is now seeking his retirement contract. Seems like yesterday he joined the league. Time ****ing flies.

Reactions: MS

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't understand how a Schwartz or Hyman UFA contract (likely 5x5 minimum) fits in our cap structure.

I don't mind either player in a vacuum but how are we to fix our D if we spend even more resources on forward? I understand that we do still have holes on forward but I don't know how anyone could watch the team last year and not think that adding a legit D-man or two wouldn't be first priority.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I like Schwartz and I think it's possible he gets a bargain deal. The most I would consider would be 3 years at 5 or 4 years at 4.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So if this off-season has confirmed anything it’s that Benning has learned absolutely nothing in 7 years. He’s no better or worse at this job than he was the day he started here.

Still thinks massive long term contracts to 30 year old UFAs is a good idea, still won’t trade assets at the deadline for picks, still cant evaluate defenceman and do anything to improve the team defence in general.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Jaden Schwartz is a good player and a fine target, in a vacuum. But he's a clear day 1 UFA that will receive a premium and Canucks are not in a position to pay that premium.

Fine for Canucks to express interest in these players, but Canucks need to be patient and target players who fall through the cracks after the initial flurry of UFA contracts and can be signed without the UFA premium.

Reactions: kanucks25

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
The focus on wingers (i.e. Schwartz, Hyman) is puzzling. Number 1 priority by far should be defense. This team does not have enough capspace to look at the wing position right now.

Of course, the more frightening scenario would be trading away Brock and/or Schmidt to spend on a UFA winger.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The focus on wingers (i.e. Schwartz, Hyman) is puzzling. Number 1 priority by far should be defense. This team does not have enough capspace to look at the wing position right now.

Of course, the more frightening scenario would be trading away Brock and/or Schmidt to spend on a UFA winger.
I agree! If the majority of our offseason is spent on a top 6 winger, then I give up!

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Whatever deal Hyman gets signed to is going to be bad, he's basically Jannik Hansen. I love a Hansen, but you don't sign that type of player to a max term deal

Reactions: VintageBure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad